What's new

The Century Club

Hi everyone, I just want to share my most recent century+ SOTD with you.
1907 Gillette Single Ring.
1948 Gillette Blue Blade.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thanks. I appreciate the kind words. I would have posted sooner, but a lot has been happening lately over here at my home. And I am pretty sick too. So please excuse the delayed response.
Peace [emoji3522]
Hope you are on the mend, soon Alan. Miss reading your insightful posts. Nice setup, by the way.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

proxy.php

Hi all. This was my SOTD from a couple of days ago. I am just getting to posting it now. It is a 1909 Gillette ABC Pocket Edition. The blade was a 1946 Gillette Blue Blade. It was a fantastic shave.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
proxy.php

Hi all. This was my SOTD from a couple of days ago. I am just getting to posting it now. It is a 1909 Gillette ABC Pocket Edition. The blade was a 1946 Gillette Blue Blade. It was a fantastic shave.

That is a stunner!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how old my Single Ring is.
There was no case or blade bank with it.
It has no number anywhere.
It has the thicker "102A" head.
It masses 58 g without a blade.
Length 83.3 mm assembled, without a blade
The handle resembles this one:
proxy.php

And the markings on the bottom of the base plate are the same as mine.

The handle has a crack along the full length of the cylinder, but unlike the ball-end handle cracks it is perfectly straight, and the gap is the same for the fill length.
I'm thinking it was simply sheet metal rolled around a form, and the curl has relaxed a bit. If I was brave I'd try carefully squeezing it shut again in a bench vice, with aluminum plate covering the jaws.

Fortunately, the crack does not affect the performance. It just turned it into a four-piece razor and adds one more step to assembling it.

Its performance is such that I point to it when I say "Gillette got it right the first time".

proxy.php

Hi all. Here’s a photo of my Century SOTD from this evenings shave. I used my 1913 Gillette Single Ring, with a vintage 1946 Gillette Blue Blade with a few shaves on it. These old Single Rings are fantastic razors. Often I can achieve a one pass DFS with my model 102 head Single Rings. I am awed by the fact these old razors have already been around over a century. It is fascinating to contemplate who may have used, where was it used, and when were these old razors used. The possibilities are endless. There is a lot of history there.
Have a great night everyone.

HPIM0266.JPG
S. R. Droescher 109 Blue -U- Diamond >> SRD > 1891-1924 Trying to narrow down the date.

Last edited:
proxy.php

Hi all. Here’s a photo of my Century SOTD from this evenings shave. I used my 1913 Gillette Single Ring, with a vintage 1946 Gillette Blue Blade with a few shaves on it. These old Single Rings are fantastic razors. Often I can achieve a one pass DFS with my model 102 head Single Rings. I am awed by the fact these old razors have already been around over a century. It is fascinating to contemplate who may have used, where was it used, and when were these old razors used. The possibilities are endless. There is a lot of history there.
Have a great night everyone.

Besides great shaves from these elder statesmen I greatly enjoy contemplating the history they have "witnessed." Same goes for aged pocket-knives, fountain pens, typewriters, etc. Just shaved with my 1906 Single Ring; as always it's an awesome shave. It's identical of course with my 1908 and 1920 single rings...but, I like the 1906 better as it has more history.

Hi all. Today’s Century SOTD was brought to us by a transition set Gillette ABC Pocket Edition. This one was made in 1916. It’s one of the last Pocket Edition sets with the inscription on the bottom of the case. The razor is a standard model 102 Ball End Old Type. These transition sets were mostly the Ball End razor. The fancier ABC handles were out of production by this razors date of manufacture in 1916. Along with my kit shown, I used a 1946 Gillette Blue Blade. Here’s the Photo-

proxy.php

Peace [emoji3522]

Hi folks. I just wanted to share my “Century SOTD” for today. Here is my photo of the early Gillette Canada Round Ball End Old Type ABC Razor. Blade was a 1956 Gillette Blue Blade. The brush was my favorite vintage brush. It’s a Mayd-Well. I believe it is from around 1910. All in all, this was an excellent shave.

proxy.php

Excellent! I've got 3 century Gillettes however it never occurred to me to track down a usable brush. What a great idea!

I'd like to be in. I have a number of century old razors, from lather catchers to straight edge (might have one 2 centuries old or approaching that) to Gillette. Here's one that I like - 1906 Type 100 serial #626936 (I think).

fullsizeoutput_2ba.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2bb.jpeg

Welcome! (sounds like Boris Karloff doesn't it?) That's a beauty. At the tick of midnight on New Year's Eve I'll have 3 Century examples. The 1920 one is currently "aging."

Tuesday OCtober 1

Century shave.
A 113 year old, 1906 Gillette single ring model 100.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - La Savonniere du Moulin (A+ in my book)
Brush - Rubberset 400-3
Blade - Feather HI SS (3)
Razor - 1906 Gillette model 100
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Stirling Ramblin' Man A/S Splash

Shave rating 5 of 5

What a nice shave this razor gave. No wonder these razors were popular. This soap might be my favorite soap as well. I know it's not MWF, I'll do that tomorrow on a "W" day. 2 pass shave with NO need for partial cleanup passes. 1st pass was WTG and DFS+ and I could have stopped there but I got greedy. Did the 2nd pass XTG on my face and ATG on my neck area. Greedy part came with the ATG on my neck area and I pressed a bit too hard to try to get everything in the 2nd pass and caused myself some irritation that I felt when applying the alum and A/S. Other than that misstep on my part, a GREAT shave from this old-timer.

Tomorrow, considering another old-timer, a 1918 Gillette Bulldog.

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.

proxy.php

Well, I guess I qualify. This one's from 1906..

I've used it for the past two days. Its pretty aggressive but doesn't leave much behind!

Top Bottom