What's new

The Century Club

Not as nice as a lot of your gents' fine collections, but I've got two good for a hunsky each. 1905, 1915. Still shavin' after all these years!

Cool if I pull up a chair? :a21:

$Single3.jpg

Hello Steve, congratulations on the beautiful razors. There is nothing quite like shaving with these old Single Rings. Many people say they are very aggressive, but I say they are very efficient. If you haven't tried it yet, try shaving with an old vintage but nos Gillette Blue Blade. The reason I suggest this, is that those blades are stiffer and thicker than the modern DE blades. In other words, they resemble the blades that those razors were originally designed for. The results will speak for themselves. But no matter what blade you use, proper prep is the key with these razors. Use a robust lather, and zero pressure, and you will be fine. I love my Single Rings, and I'm sure you will too. Enjoy!

My old ball end has no serial #, which according to the wiki would put as first half of 1904 plus a couple of my straights are at least at the century mark :)

Am I in?

Hello Steve, congratulations on the beautiful razors. There is nothing quite like shaving with these old Single Rings. Many people say they are very aggressive, but I say they are very efficient. If you haven't tried it yet, try shaving with an old vintage but nos Gillette Blue Blade. The reason I suggest this, is that those blades are stiffer and thicker than the modern DE blades. In other words, they resemble the blades that those razors were originally designed for. The results will speak for themselves. But no matter what blade you use, proper prep is the key with these razors. Use a robust lather, and zero pressure, and you will be fine. I love my Single Rings, and I'm sure you will too. Enjoy!

Thank you for the suggestion, I shall procure some and give that a try. Relatively new to me, I haven't used these but once each. Appreciate the tips on maximizing the experience. :thumbup1:

My old ball end has no serial #, which according to the wiki would put as first half of 1904 plus a couple of my straights are at least at the century mark :)

Am I in?

Actually, the No Serial Number ball ends are from the 1920's. If you look at this chart http://www.razorarchive.com/gillette-date-codes you can see in the razor notes for 1922 it lists that the "Old Type still seen with no serial #". You still have a great ball end old type. It just has a few more years before it can join the century club. But like you said, there are plenty of straights that more than fit the century bill out there.

New member!

Received this 1910 single ring last night. Getting ready to shave with it in just a few minutes.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 22
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 22
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 21
I'm already a member but I thought I'd show off these examples from around 1880.

$WB1.jpg
Wade and Butcher 13/16"

$ERN 2200.jpg
ERN 6/8"

$JR1.jpg

Rescaled Joseph Rodgers 6/8"

This one is a William Greaves 13/16". In a few years I'll be using it to start The Double Century Club.

$Greaves1.jpg

Cheers, George

Wow! those straights look like the day they were made!

Welcome all new members, and future members the 2020's are just around the corner.

Hello all, good morning. Today, I would like to share with you all my SOTD with my 1915 ABC Pocket Edition set. This set is a bit different than the usual ABC Pocket Edition set. It was produced in 1915 right at the end of the ABC production run, and there are some differences between this set and its predecessors. Mainly the fact that the razor in the set is a Ball End Old Type. Also of note is that the inscriptions on the bottom have patent numbers, rather than dates. I have only seen this phenomenon on razor sets made in 1914 and later. At least as far as the ABC sets are concerned.
This is one of my more favored sets in my possession. I especially like the gunmetal coating on this set. It is one of the best preserved sets I have.
So without further ado, here is the photo-

proxy.php

Thanks for your interest, and have a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome Club, I'm in.
I have a few that qualify and a few more may or at least come very close. Here is the one I used this morning, Single Ring from 1911. She may not be the prettiest, but shaves like a dream.

DSCF0066.JPG

Hello all, today I shaved with my 106 year old 1910 Gillette Single Ring, with a vintage Gillette Blue Blade.

proxy.php

It was a fantastic shave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May I join? I've got a single ring on the way #634440 which I believe is 1906.

Hugh
Congrats, You'll love it! I just used my 1911 this morning, it pretty much lives in the medicine cabinet and comes out once a week or so. Be sure to post some pics once you get it.

Thank you. Shaved with a 1920 this morning - tomorrow, I'll hold off until the 1906 arrives. Will post photos. Nothing compares to pure lust. :001_smile
Hugh

Top Bottom