What's new

The Case Of The Unscrewing Sections

Let's see if I get more responses here ... :wink2:

Not sure if this is a lefty problem, but it is something I struggle with on some pens (e.g. the Sheaffer Targa).

While writing, the barrel rotates a bit in my hand, which gradually causes the section of some pens to unscrew slightly. Or actually it is the barrel unscrewing, but the effect is the same. It only happens on pens with brass threading, not plastic, so I believe the threads have not enough friction for my writing style.

Anyone else with this problem? And how did you solve it non-destructively? Just some rubber cement on the threads, to cause a bit more friction?

Thanks!

Silicone would seal it, but will it solve the unscrewing problem? It's seems strange the fit would be so poor to allow that to happen.

I'm a lefty and I have had that problem in the past with Parker 45's or aerofill duofolds during a very long writing session. Some pens are worse than others and I've learned to check the barrel when I take a break.

Is your hand touching both sections as you write? Can you adjust your grip to only touch the lower part?
It is definitely my writing style conflicting with some pens. My Sonnets, for instance, are immune to it.

I'll try the beeswax first, to see if it makes the threads sticky enough.

Rubber o ring on the grip sections threads. When screwed tight, the o ring locks it in place better.
Goulet sells them for converting preppies to eyedroppers.

Wrap the threads of the section with Teflon thread seal tape (also known as PTFE tape or plumber's tape). It doesn't take much. Once or twice around.

Probably not relevant to this particular pen, but with some vintage pens with loose, friction-fit sections, I've painted a thin layer of shellac onto the section, let it dry, and then pressed the section into the barrel. In some cases, it's taken a couple of coats to build up enough thickness before it fits securely. The nice thing about the shellac is it just takes some gentle heat to soften it enough to remove it if restoration or repair is needed at some point in the future.

Wrap the threads of the section with Teflon thread seal tape...

Seconded.

When reading the post this was the first thing that came to mind. For those unfamiliar with teflon tape, is it non-adhessive, stretchy, and basically designed for this type of application. It creates a gas/liquid impermeable seal on threaded joints and increases joint security without relying on adhesive properties to do so. It increases friction, deforms to match the threads, and is easy to remove when dismantling the joint.

Honestly, I'd try teflon tape before bee's wax.

I've been using a Targa for about six weeks now and notice the same thing with the barrel working itself loose. I attributed it to the fact that I find myself absentmindedly snapping the cap on and off. Thanks for the plumber's tape idea, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Top Bottom