What's new

The Case for Cream

I began with creams, moved into soaps, and am now drifting back toward creams. I still love and use my Tabac, La Toja, and now Arko sticks -- an excellent way to deliver the soap experience -- but it's extremely hard to beat Proraso Green cream, Palmolive, TOBS Sandalwood, and Trumper's Almond. All three give you quite a lot of product for the money. The Proraso tube in particular: I only have to use a smidgen of it on my brush to produce an enormous lather. It'll take you a while to use it up.

I just recently discovered Erasmic cream and I love it. I'm not sure what it is that's different but I really like it. And I have tried many creams but this is my favorite.

Good call. I have used what people call the ‘new’ Erasmic cream for a good few years now. It outperforms everything else for me. I don’t know why either. I just wish it came in a larger tube like Proraso.

I’m stuck on The Fat. A puck lasts for months and it provides a nice slick shave. There were some dodgy pucks floating around last spring and summer, but even they provided a degree of incredible slickness. You just had to work harder to make a stable lather.

That being said, I have a tub of TOBS Jermyn Street that I fall back on when I want a quick shave. I define quick as less than 30 minutes. But, it doesn’t last as long as The Fat and it’s $24 versus $13.00 US.

I’ve been mostly a soap guy, but lately I’ve been giving my creams more and more face time. Perhaps over time I’ve become a better shaver and whatever I felt creams were lacking is no longer a factor.
Though I don’t have any allergies or sensitive skin issues, I’ve really taken a liking to TOBS Jermyn Street.

I’ve been mostly a soap guy, but lately I’ve been giving my creams more and more face time. Perhaps over time I’ve become a better shaver and whatever I felt creams were lacking is no longer a factor.
Though I don’t have any allergies or sensitive skin issues, I’ve really taken a liking to TOBS Jermyn Street.
Don’t you wish Jermyn Street was a little less expensive? Even compared to their regular line it’s pricey.

Don’t you wish Jermyn Street was a little less expensive? Even compared to their regular line it’s pricey.
The only reason I discovered it in the first place was that It was on clearance. Otherwise I would have ignored it since I don’t have “sensitive skin” issues per say. It’s become my go-to cream. Nice post shave face feel too.

Good call. I have used what people call the ‘new’ Erasmic cream for a good few years now. It outperforms everything else for me. I don’t know why either. I just wish it came in a larger tube like Proraso.

Only one kind of Erasmic cream you can buy that I know of. It works great. I know of a lot of other creams that that work just as good but no other cream feels like Erasmic cream. Feels so good on your face.

Ok I’ll probably keep my beloved SV and Tabac for relaxed weekend shaves but the den’s definitely heading more towards creams.
My wet-shaving journey is very similar to yours @Tomo. I've been dead set on hard soaps.

As SV aficionado, I couldn't switch to creams... and as of recently, I'm becoming an A&E fan big time.

That said, I don't think I'll be buying any soaps other than SV and A&E in the future. Instead, I'll be adding creams to my den/collection. Got the Proraso Cypress & Vetiver in a small 100ml tube just this week and it's a keeper. My other favorite (performance wise) is T&H 1805.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
My favorite so far are below but I’m open to trying more.

- Castle Forbes
- Speik
- Acqua di Parma
- Santa Maria Novella

Any other cream guys out there?
Any good creams that I’m missing out on?

IMHO, you are already using some of the best creams out there. St. James of London is uber slick and worth checking out.

I've just finishing using samples of Truefitt and Hill Sandalwood and Saponificio Bignoli Indian Sandalwood. For me, the SB beat out T&H on all fronts (cushion, slickness, scent). The SB creams are very thick (but not quite thick enough to be a croap) so a little goes a long way and even though they look expensive compared to T&H on a cost per shave basis the SB would come out on top.

Another vote for Saponificio Bignoli from me. I’ve owned the Violetta di Parma for a while; like Abz88 noted it’s very thick but you won’t require much from the tub at all.
Extro Cosmesi are in a similar fashion somewhere just short of being a ‘croap‘ for me and more of a very thick cream. They’re also worth a try - superbly presented in a nice glass jar with a great range of scents.

D R Harris, Salters and Trumpers for the British makes. Palmolive without a doubt if you can get a cheap tube - own so many tubes of Palmolive Classic with palm extract but the menthol one is my favourite.

I started off as a mainly cream guy and then got into soaps but alternate between the two.

The Jack Black shave cream is also pretty good if you're partial to that brand, though its a bit pricey

Yes, I agree. Jack Black is a fabulous cream, and while a bit pricey for the jar, at 9.5 ounces (270 gms.)
it lasts a very, very, very long time. A highly underrated, hardly mentioned cream, but a real winner !

1D590C2F-5399-48E0-8DAF-866152436F8B.jpeg

OK. So I got a deal on a tube of T&H Trafalgar ($10) at an auction site, recently. I have not tried a cream in over a year
due to limited success with my first attempt with Proraso Red. Yesterday, I was rather stingy with the water and
the lather from the Tragalgar really exploded after about 50 swirls in the bowl. The scent was fantastic and the
shave was 8/10. What blew me away was the post-shave silkiness of my skin. It really felt different from my soaps
including my favorite, Valobra/C&S. (I now am rethinking my lathering technique for soaps). Today, I broke out
that old tube of Proraso Red and had a similar post shave smoothness. Now, I am sold on creams and I am eyeing
up some other creams like T&H 1805 as well as West Indian Lime.

th00053.amazon.jpg

Top Bottom