What's new

The Case for Cream

The reason I prefer creams is I get to finish the product faster than soaps and then get to buy another product. I try to avoid hoarding and soaps just last too long.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Soaps and creams don’t really get me excited. Creams are quicker and easier and I use either Kapo or Palmolive.

Some of my favorites:
Musgo Real: lavender, orange amber, spiced citrus, lime basil, lavanda
La Toja
Lea
Kiss My Face lime or lavender
TOBS grapefruit, avocado
Proraso red or green
Simpsons lavender and vetiver
Trumper sandalwood
Art of shaving lemon
Dettol cool for intense menthol in summer

Some of the above were discontinued. There are many more that I've tried samplers packs from some vendors but don't remember. Samplers are a good way to try a bunch of different creams, especially to find scents you like. Using cream samples is much easier than soap samples.

One downside of creams is they dry out if you don't use them for a while. So I always keep some hard soaps and shave sticks around and use one or 2 tube creams. When I was buying tubs of cream, I would use one until it's done and then buy a different one. Then there are many soft soaps and croaps which are popular on B&B but I don't like them.

I use both soaps and creams in superlathers where I get the best of both worlds. I'll often use MWF or a TOBS soap for the base and pair it with a TOBS or GFT cream, choosing the cream based on the season.

I prefer (tub) soaps mostly for the same reasons:

Quick lather - if I let a couple of drops of water on the soap after use; see last point
Less stuff hanging around the sink - more compact than cream since less water content
Cleaner - trivial to remove any residue from the bowl. With cream, some always stays on the cap and screw and it is hard to remove without wasting some cream
Easy to dose the amount each time for consistent results - swirl the brush for a couple of seconds, stop, wobble the tub - if the brush stays still it is ready to go. With cream I often take too much or not enough

Here come 2 more:
Less potassium hydroxide (dries the skin faster than its sodium cousin)
Fewer preservatives and longer shelf life since less water

That being said, I use both. Weleda also make a very nice scented shaving cream, but it requires more time to break down compared to soft soaps

Top Bottom