What's new

The Burn!

I guess I got a little overconfident today with my shave... and paired my new SE (that I haven't used but once and am still lacking the finesse at) with the Williams Mug Soap... BAD IDEA!!!

Williams can be tricky... and today I goofed up. Something wasn't right. Lather kept falling apart (the last couple of times it worked quite well)... anyway... the result is a pretty sore neck on the left side.

I tried everything on the counter... wasn't helping.

Went to the wifes side... and behold... there was this:

$1212151657~2~2[1].jpg

Long story short... It made things easier... just applied a little on the worst area. It took the pain. Smells a little funky... but who cares. Not going anywhere anyway.

It works... nuff said.

Anybody else ever have to use things around the house to help out??

Have you tried putting it in the fridge? Might keep the scent down and make it feel even better on your skin.

Have you tried putting it in the fridge? Might keep the scent down and make it feel even better on your skin.

It worked just fine as is... a few minutes after putting a little on the effected areas it was very managable. Surprised me

I guess I got a little overconfident today with my shave... and paired my new SE (that I haven't used but once and am still lacking the finesse at) with the Williams Mug Soap... BAD IDEA!!!

Williams can be tricky... and today I goofed up. Something wasn't right. Lather kept falling apart (the last couple of times it worked quite well)... anyway... the result is a pretty sore neck on the left side.

I tried everything on the counter... wasn't helping.

Went to the wifes side... and behold... there was this:

View attachment 621878

Long story short... It made things easier... just applied a little on the worst area. It took the pain. Smells a little funky... but who cares. Not going anywhere anyway.

It works... nuff said.

Anybody else ever have to use things around the house to help out??
Yes best remedy ever, cold water:thumbup:

Yes best remedy ever, cold water:thumbup:

believe me... I tried... cold water wraps... even went to the ice tray... helped just while on there... Its over now!! All good.

But this brings me to a different interest... Since I guess it does happen to just about everybody that a shave goes wrong for whatever reason, what do you use to soothe/remedy?? Question is to all.

Thanks

believe me... I tried... cold water wraps... even went to the ice tray... helped just while on there... Its over now!! All good.

But this brings me to a different interest... Since I guess it does happen to just about everybody that a shave goes wrong for whatever reason, what do you use to soothe/remedy?? Question is to all.

Thanks
Guess you already know mine:laugh:

I asked a dermatologist that question a few years ago after seeing some new shavers having skin problems. The dermatologist recommended a multi-step approach. He said wait a minute or two in between each step to see if further steps are needed.

1. The first step was to take a wash cloth in cold water and apply it to the affected areas. He recommended doing this a few times.
  2. Next he suggested an application of WH.
  3. Finally he recommended a hydrocortisone cream with aloe vera.

I never had razor burn that required such treatment. However, the doctor did have one recommendation that I do use. He recommended that all men who shave apply a good quality moisturizer lotion or cream at night before retiring at night.

I asked a dermatologist that question a few years ago after seeing some new shavers having skin problems. The dermatologist recommended a multi-step approach. He said wait a minute or two in between each step to see if further steps are needed.

1. The first step was to take a wash cloth in cold water and apply it to the affected areas. He recommended doing this a few times.
  2. Next he suggested an application of WH.
  3. Finally he recommended a hydrocortisone cream with aloe vera.

I never had razor burn that required such treatment. However, the doctor did have one recommendation that I do use. He recommended that all men who shave apply a good quality moisturizer lotion or cream at night before retiring at night.

This is great!! Thank you for your input. I'm sure there are more beginners that are fighting the same battle... Is there a sticky or a wiki page dedicated to the topic?? Input from dermatologists are very welcome... Thanks

Aloe Vera is good stuff for minor burns and irritation. The stuff in the photo had lidocaine, which is a topical anesthetic, and that would help, too. That said, exercise caution when looking for aloe product. A bottle of dollar store stuff had a definite burn to it, which I'd never run into before with aloe preparations.

The funky smell may have been the aloe. The pure stuff has a slight funkiness, and the can of Barbasol with Aloe Vera has a hint of the same odor.

In order, from mild irritation to severe:

Cold water
Witch hazel
Aloe preparation and Noxima (tm).

Have only had to resort to an aloe preparation once, and that particular bottle of gel had a burn of its own. Applied Noxima (tm) after the shower, and it did the trick.

Glad this worked out. The good thing about shaving is that we all get to practice again tomorrow.

So true... although I did wait an extra day just to have everything calm down... and because it was still a little tender.

Does the skin get used to the "abuse" of shaving after a while?? I've never shaved much in the last 20 or so years. Only if I had to (LOTH made me). I usually just trimmed with a clipper to maintain a 2 day stubble... and if I shaved it was a quick one pass with the grain for what I now know as a SAS ... until the DE bug struck:w00t:.... now I can't wait to shave, but it's always a bit of a struggle with the left part of the neck. I would need two extra joints in my wrist to get all the different angles that my stubble has. I've tried to map it... after 9 different directions just in that little sectection I gave up:001_rolle... gotta love it. Any advice?:lol:

Top Bottom