What's new

The burn

What was I thinking ...

My skin doesn't like eucalyptus, but somehow my mind refuses to accept that :tongue_sm

This evening I picked a jar of Omega shave cream from my drawer, that I had bought last year. By that time, I already knew that Proraso Green lit up my face, but I was stubborn and wanted to try the Omega cream. Same result obviously, since it's the eucalyptus oil which causes the redness and the itching.

Anyway ... I decided to try it again. Why? Maybe because I hoped that I would magically like it this time? During the first pass of my shave, everything felt fine. But when lathering up for my second pass, I already could feel my face tingle. And after my shave, despite applying a neutral balm, my skin was red and feeling hot. Now, three hours later, the hot feeling is gone, but it still feels unpleasant when I touch my face.

I have PIFed the Proraso cream when I found out it was not for me ... I probably should do the same with the Omega, to prevent being tempted again :laugh:

Tomorrow it's back to ARKO or Tabac or so ... but no Omega cream!

What creams do you keep trying, depite knowing they are not for you?

I do this with Kappus Aloe. It leaves me irritated, but not a lot, for a good hour or 2. But I love the odd 'just cut the grass' sort of smell to it, and it really it is a nice slick and protective cream. I'll use it until it's all gone, but not often. So it will last me forever.

I had a similar reaction to the Oakmoss and Sage soap from PAA. Not quite sure what ingredient it was that I reacted to, but I noticed my face would get that red, burning sensation after using it...each time I wouldn't use it for a while, then try again with the same result; at that point I stopped.

Edit...I realized this was the cream forum, my bad. I've never had a bad reaction from a cream that I've tried, but I feel that it was still somewhat related.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thought a product did this to me recently; left an itchy-itchy face. Thought it was an allergy? combo-reaction?

Then I realized the blade was a week old ... not a burn but an itch.

AA

I desperately wanted Strop Shoppe's London Morning (a soap, not a cream) to work for me, it smells so heavenly. Tried it three times. Red faced all day three times. [sigh]

The following leave my skin either red or itching: Valobra Almond, Cella and Williams Mug Soap.

It is much easier to spot a soap/cream that is not favorable.

Some blades cause the same issues because they are rough.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I must be the lucky one. I have yet to find a soap/cream scent that irritates me. And I love my myriad Mama Bear soaps (20 so far), especially the Eucalyptus

EDIT: just realized this is the Creams forum and I'm talking soaps, but it still holds, none of my 5 or 6 creams irritate me

Last edited:
I must be the lucky one. I have yet to find a soap/cream scent that irritates me. And I love my myriad Mama Bear soaps (20 so far), especially the Eucalyptus

EDIT: just realized this is the Creams forum and I'm talking soaps, but it still holds, none of my 5 or 6 creams irritate me
$uploadfromtaptalk1438897757385.gif

The New York Shaving Co.'s Tonsorial Shaving Cream (red label). My face was mildly burning immediately after the first shave, and thought I must have done it with my razor. Next time it came up in the rotation, the same thing happened. So I waited a few days and tried it again. Same result. Heavy sigh as I binned it. I loved the smell, the consistency, the glide, the lather and on and on. It's the only cream I've ever used that caused this problem.

Last edited:
For me its Catie's Bubbles. I have tried 3 different variations and all of them give me a mild burning sensation. Yet, for no apparent reason, I keep trying them occasionally hoping to get different results. Its a sickness lol

Strangely, I get irritation from some blades even though they give me a close, comfortable shave. It's a mystery to me why.

I believe there is a relationship between how smooth the blade can leave the skin and the irritant in the cream or soap.

I find that I can use Valobra Almond or Cella with a good smooth blade for up to a week. I can not do that with a less sharp and smooth blade.

A similar problem exists when I over exfoliate with a very sharp blade and using a product with an irritant.

Technique is also a factor.

What was I thinking ...

My skin doesn't like eucalyptus, but somehow my mind refuses to accept that :tongue_sm

This evening I picked a jar of Omega shave cream from my drawer, that I had bought last year. By that time, I already knew that Proraso Green lit up my face, but I was stubborn and wanted to try the Omega cream. Same result obviously, since it's the eucalyptus oil which causes the redness and the itching.

Anyway ... I decided to try it again. Why? Maybe because I hoped that I would magically like it this time? During the first pass of my shave, everything felt fine. But when lathering up for my second pass, I already could feel my face tingle. And after my shave, despite applying a neutral balm, my skin was red and feeling hot. Now, three hours later, the hot feeling is gone, but it still feels unpleasant when I touch my face.

I have PIFed the Proraso cream when I found out it was not for me ... I probably should do the same with the Omega, to prevent being tempted again :laugh:

To answer the OP.

Early in the game my technique was poor. As my technique improved I found I could use some of the soaps, croaps and creams with irritants, just not very often. I liked them and I bought them. Because of that, the offenders got second chances.

I keep trying Valobra Almond, Cella, Arko and Williams Mug Soap.

Early in the game my technique was poor. As my technique improved I found I could use some of the soaps, croaps and creams with irritants, just not very often. I liked them and I bought them. Because of that, the offenders got second chances.

Don't think that it's my technique though, but the eucalyptus. Which is a pity, because it smells nice and fresh.

To the OP, from googling eucalyptus: it seems that eucalyptus extract is a skin irritant, especially on scraped skin. Sorry that you are sensitive to it. Many of us have one or another type of sensitivity that precludes the use of some popular products. Mine seems to be alcohol. :(

I have the same exact problem but with maggards orange menthol. Menthol irritates the hell out of my neck but I freaking love the smell and the initial cool feeling so I go back to it once in a while just to realize that I can't do that to my self anymore

The New York Shaving Co.'s Tonsorial Shaving Cream (red label).

I had similar experiences the first few times I tried, but the irritations seems to have gotten better. However it was the very first cream I bought to use with my very first DE - so my technique may have been to blame as much as anything. I now get decent shaves out of it, and the smell is certainly unique.

What was I thinking ...

The Omega is rebranded Proraso.

Tingling and burning comes and goes with me - Caties gives me a tingle sometimes but not others for example. TOBS Sandalwood however leave my face almost purple with irritation . I can't use it at all.

Top Bottom