What's new

The Bull Dog and the Merkur 11c

I recently scored this Canadian Bull Dog and was really interested in seeing how it compared with my Merkur HD open comb. You can see that the Merkur design leans heavily on the 'ol favorite. Although that barberpole swirl knurling on the Bull Dog wins the photogenic award hands down.

Just wanted to share these pictures with you all. The shave is pretty similar, with the Bull Dog being just a touch more aggressive. Enjoy.

How do they compare weight-wise?

I had one Merkur open comb (41C: 1904) and felt it was to mild for my taste, even though I do like mild razors like the Gillette Tech (my favorite so far). If the Bulldog is a bit more aggressive it might be something I should keep an eye out for.

Bob

Nice post & pics. I have started to become "Old-style curious". If you use either of these - How does the Bulldog compare to the NEW or New Standard in terms of aggressiveness?

Last edited:
Im actually still looking for quotes on rhodium.

I did meet a nice lady from Houston that re plates in silver but in my opinion she wanted way to much money.

When I met her at an antiques market this weekend she quotes me $40 then I call her up today and she says $55 with 8 weeks turn around so yea im looking around.

Im waiting on a quote from a different person for rhodium plating. Ill let you know once I get it in or if you find a place let me know.

I know that bob can have them re plated in nickel let him know if your interested. I actually may end up using nickel if I cant get rhodium.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72732

Is the rhodium much better, I know that how the President is done. Please keep me posted on the re plating I may need to do a couple of razors. I don't think that price is too bad. I talk to a man who does it here in Corpus Christi and be was a couple months behind as well.

How do they compare weight-wise?

I had one Merkur open comb (41C: 1904) and felt it was to mild for my taste, even though I do like mild razors like the Gillette Tech (my favorite so far). If the Bulldog is a bit more aggressive it might be something I should keep an eye out for.

Bob

Bob, they are similar in weight; by feel, since I don't have a mini scale, the 11c is slightly heavier. I saw your 1904 and I you would be surprised the effect a heavier handle has on the exact same head, I really like the shaves the 11c provides. The problem with the Bull Dogs is that they seem to be hard to find without imperfections, for instance my handle is cracked and I have seen some with badly bent teeth. They are nice though, so I suspect those that find one in nice shape are reluctant to let go. Best bet are vintage stores and the estate sales for a good price too.

Noce post & pics. I have started to become "Old-style curious". If you use either of these - How does the Bulldog compare to the NEW or New Standard in terms of aggressiveness?

I have a NEW as well, it's hard to put into words but here is my attempt; the NEW is a bit more aggressive but comfortable because of the comb design, on the Old style the simple curvature of the comb does not protect from the blade when you (incorrectly) start bringing the handle perpendicular to the skin being shaved, I would at times get to this angle not on purpose when getting to under the chin-neck area, so it then gives a sense of being aggressive in the bad sense: 'razor burn'. The 11c works on this by increasing the area of the top plate, which then brings the edge of the blade a little closer to the teeth (but not completely in contact with them) giving a milder shave.
Sorry, I have not shaved with an NEW Improved, so can't comment on it.

I scored one just like it. I want to get mine re plated in rhodium. sorry for the bad pic.

Ambrose, how where the teeth on that one you scored? I saw it, but was a bit scared off because the pictures seemed to show them going everywhere. :tongue_sm

Last edited:
It has 2 slightly bent teeth the ones on the other edge. Like if it had been dropped on that side. My girlfriend is a jewelry designer and has these neat little tools im gong to use to straighten them out.

It has alot of the platting is worn off. a few bad scratches.

I would say over all yours looks to be in better shape.

I was watching the one you scored as well but I was thinking I was going to be only using straights from now on so I didnt bid. Then I realized I still wanted to use a DE and found the one I scored and I said man I have to have it.

Im going to fix her up and plate her in rhodium.

I really love they way the old types shave. The bull dog is just so nice to look at.

It has 2 slightly bent teeth the ones on the other edge. Like if it had been dropped on that side. My girlfriend is a jewelry designer and has these neat little tools im gong to use to straighten them out.

It has alot of the platting is worn off. a few bad scratches.

I would say over all yours looks to be in better shape.

I was watching the one you scored as well but I was thinking I was going to be only using straights from now on so I didnt bid. Then I realized I still wanted to use a DE and found the one I scored and I said man I have to have it.

Im going to fix her up and plate her in rhodium.

I really love they way the old types shave. The bull dog is just so nice to look at.

Well, I just posted the best angles I took, I may just keep looking for one in better shape.

Mine had a bent outer tooth, it straightened out but it still looks tweaked. I don't have proper metal wheels to clean it up.
The post on the top plate is loose and the crack on the handle.

They are nice though indeed, those pictures of the nickel plated one bob posted were enticing.

Nope Ive called and left a message but nothing yet. Ive found a bunch more platting companies, Im going to give them a try today.

Rhodium-plating a wedding band is expensive.

Rhodium-plating a razor is ludicrous.

Rather than waste that money, donate it to charity.

Last edited:

Paying 100s of $$ on old razors might be considered ludicrous to some people.
The amount of metal used in a plating job is minuscule.
The true cost is the labor involved.

Ha, getting married is a ludicrous expense and a set up for future alimony and regret. Elope and donate your savings to me.

Top Bottom