What's new

INFO! The BST is now open

Thank you all for your patience as we addressed the fraud issues that cropped up last week.
Please note that we have returned to the prior policy of requiring PayPal payments be in "Goods and Services" not "Friends and Family". Anyone who requests F&F is breaking forum guidelines and should be reported.

When creating a new thread to sell or trade items, personally taken photos with your username and date displayed in the frame are mandatory.

We have a long tradition on B&B of looking out for our fellow members, please report any thread that does not comply with these requirements. If we work together we can dramatically reduce fraud on the B&B.

Thank you and enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Woo Hoo!

Oh wait.....I'm in that 4 month purchase sabbatical.....what am I even doing here? Can you guys lock it again until the end of August?
We could just do this, Jonathan:
1620230987006.gif

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
In general I totally agree with and applaude the policy of mandating these measures (as opposed to them being sorta kinda suggestions or whatever they were).

What about other, non PayPal, options for payment? Are these forbidden?

I'm asking for a friend (literally) who hates PayPal (and he's a good guy, and a good member). He can't be the only one.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Jim we cannot stop anyone from using another form of payment that the buyer and seller agree to. As far as we know there is no other form of payment that offers any protection like Paypal goods and services.
100% of the recent issues were paid with friends and family.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim we cannot stop anyone from using another form of payment that the buyer and seller agree to. As far as we know there is no other form of payment that offers any protection like Paypal goods and services.

Thanks, Jim.

I, too, like the protection of G&S. When it's coupled with a credit card, it's ever deeper.

You're answer is much appreciated though.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Mods,

I am guessing the fraud situation entails people lifting photos from various forums and then using F&F to steal people's money?

If there is more to this, could you provide a brief summary so we can be on the lookout in other forums we participate in?

Many other non shaving related forums I have frequented have had the G&S only rule for years.

I am more than happy paying an extra $6 for protection when buying a $200 shaving brush or razor from an internet stranger.

Conversely, taking a 3% hit as the seller isn’t the end of the world either IMO.

Smart move.

I think another way of saying this is that PayPal Friends and Family, as well as other payment options such as Crypto, where no form of accountability exists, are all susceptible to misuse and abuse. I think it's a fair policy to NOT REQUEST Friends and Family since a better PayPal option exists, but I also know that actual friends and family will send the money that way (as I would most certainly do if Jim sold me a razor for example). It's unfortunate that people still do not understand the implications of using third party payment processors that are not backed by strong user protection policies. I suppose I will need to take into consideration asking for Crypto or Zelle, unless a friend or family member here on B&B wants to buy something off of me. If it will help encourage others to use the safest option, I will only accept alternative payment methods from actual friends and family and of course, only REQUEST PayPal G&S in my listings. Wish there were a nice escrow service for this. Maybe everyone should send their shiny razors to me for "Holding" (totally not for shaving with lol) until the money clears. Anyway, Good luck to everyone. Please don't be dirtbags and please follow the rules so we don't all end up suspended again.

EDIT: Also, not Jim the moderator, obviously. Sorry if that confused you, Jim the moderator :)

I hate the fact that rules/restrictions have to be imposed for everyone because of a few violators, but I completely understand, and as a member will comply.

Thank you very much for the extra time you put in to make this forum safe.

Doug

I don't do much selling but I never understood why some people ask of F&F anyway just to save a couple bucks. I look at PayPal as being a convenient way to buy or pay for something and since it is a service they should get compensation for it. The few things I have sold using PayPal I never even gave the fees a thought, it was just a part of using them for a payment and never really had the idea I needed to add this fee to my selling price.

I am glad B&B added this policy because there have been a couple items in the last 6 months I would have purchased but saw F&F in the listing and immediately exited the page.

A monster pet peeve of mine is that sellers do not include PayPal fees and postage in their pricing when they sell on an interest based forum.

Bake it into the price and the market will speak.

Another monster pet peeve is when the sales thread clearly states something along the lines of “PayPal purchased, USPS CONUS” and the buyer asks if they can send a check, not even a money order.

Rant off.

Thank you all on BB.

I don't do much selling but I never understood why some people ask of F&F anyway just to save a couple bucks. I look at PayPal as being a convenient way to buy or pay for something and since it is a service they should get compensation for it. The few things I have sold using PayPal I never even gave the fees a thought, it was just a part of using them for a payment and never really had the idea I needed to add this fee to my selling price.

I am glad B&B added this policy because there have been a couple items in the last 6 months I would have purchased but saw F&F in the listing and immediately exited the page.
I *think* it is somewhat new, but over the past 6-9 months at some point my PayPal app started asking if I wanted to pay the fee for the seller. I didn't have to do any math, just click a checkbox, and it is just like F&F... but Safe and legal. Makes requesting F&F completely unnecessary, imo.

I *think* it is somewhat new, but over the past 6-9 months at some point my PayPal app started asking if I wanted to pay the fee for the seller. I didn't have to do any math, just click a checkbox, and it is just like F&F... but Safe and legal. Makes requesting F&F completely unnecessary, imo.

I just used PP twice the last couple days and never noticed that option but then these were purchases to a business and the other on the bay. But then I wasn't looking for that checkbox either.

I dont know how much more we can do to get the word out about usernames and dates in the photos to sell in the BST.
Every day we have to remove multiple listings.

Top Bottom