What's new

INFO! The BST is now open

Thank you all for your patience as we addressed the fraud issues that cropped up last week.
Please note that we have returned to the prior policy of requiring PayPal payments be in "Goods and Services" not "Friends and Family". Anyone who requests F&F is breaking forum guidelines and should be reported.

When creating a new thread to sell or trade items, personally taken photos with your username and date displayed in the frame are mandatory.

We have a long tradition on B&B of looking out for our fellow members, please report any thread that does not comply with these requirements. If we work together we can dramatically reduce fraud on the B&B.

Thank you and enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know how much more we can do to get the word out about usernames and dates in the photos to sell in the BST.
Every day we have to remove multiple listings.
Not sure if this is easily doable (or at all), but if its an option to do a pop-up or a reminder when someone is posting a new BST thread with a reminder about the new rule, that puts it right in from of the person when they're making their post.
Otherwise I don't think there's anything that comes up saying to reference the rules or read the new rules or anything like that is there? And then its up to every poster to find the thread about the new and/or existing rules (which clearly isn't happening if there's already lots having to be removed).

There is a notice posted on May 5th that everyone got when they opened BnB.
For sure, and there's also the info post about it. It just seems like if lots of threads are getting posted that have to be removed, they're not bothering to read the info post or remembering they got a pop up about it on the 5th. And that pop up is just going to get older and farther out of memory... so it might just require beating everyone over the head with it by putting in front of them whenever a new listing is being made.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
So for the threads that got removed did they get a chance to try again with proper photos or?

Yes, they can repost their listing in 15 days if they so choose.

Remember these measures have been put in place to protect BnB members after recent fraudulent activity in the BST. A site wide notification was sent in regards to the requirements.

I don't do much selling but I never understood why some people ask of F&F anyway just to save a couple bucks. I look at PayPal as being a convenient way to buy or pay for something and since it is a service they should get compensation for it. The few things I have sold using PayPal I never even gave the fees a thought, it was just a part of using them for a payment and never really had the idea I needed to add this fee to my selling price.

I am glad B&B added this policy because there have been a couple items in the last 6 months I would have purchased but saw F&F in the listing and immediately exited the page.

Almost verbatim what I came here to post.

People are free to to do what they want, but similarly, I always exit any lisitng asking for F&F and, frankly, likewise if they add PayPal fees (due to G&S) as an add-on payment. I mean, if it's that much to you, just add it into the asking price. Again, do what you want, but it won't be me buying.

A question about the photos. Sometimes I might take a group photo of several items and then follow up with individual, detailed photos to highlight certain features. If I include a username/date tag in the group photo, do I need to also include a tag in a detail shot?

Even before this rule came into effect, I have always used date stamped photos
in all my classifieds. I take pictures with a digital camera that imprints the date
on the picture. But I haven't written my username into the photos....does this mean
the one classified I have up now will be removed and I have to re-publish it with
my name written into the pic?

FWIW, I follow this process for EVERY sale without exception and it has never let me down.
When someone PMs me to buy something, I ask for their Paypal associated email address.
Then I send them an email from my Paypal email, with full details of the product and date
stamped pictures. The email also contains terms, and next steps and what they can expect,
stage by stage. This way Paypal knows exactly who's dealing with who...there are no
usernames involved.

Rather than expressing annoyance, 99.9% of buyers appreciate this because it gives them
peace of mind. I will reproduce the email template I use below, feel free to use it (or not),
as you see fit.

"Dear XXXXX,

I am delighted to offer you the above item for purchase, subject to the following:

1. Please inspect the attached pictures and description below before accepting.
The item is a polished, 316 stainless steel safety razor handle, 98mm long, in good,
used condition. The item may bear micro-markings that are consistent with light use.
Pictures should be considered as part of the description.

2. Package will only be shipped to your official Paypal name and address that
appears on Paypal’s transaction page.

3. Any additional customs fees, duties or other official/unofficial levies that apply
in the buyer’s country will be the responsibility of the buyer.

4. The price is $XXX and includes the handle, as well as shipping by standard
registered post with tracking service.

5. Kindly note that returns/refunds will not be possible unless the item is significantly
different from the visual and written descriptions provided in this email.

6. Due to Covid-19, informal estimates suggest a delivery window of XX-XX business days
from end to end. Any customs/processing delays in the buyer’s country may extend the
timeframe for delivery, and will not be the responsibility of the seller.

7. This email conversation shall be the sole means of communicating about important aspects
of the sale, and will serve as an official record of our transaction, in case Paypal ever needs
to refer to it.

NEXT STEPS:
Kindly reply to this email signifying your acceptance of the above terms, and the condition of
the item as represented in pictures and description provided. I will then send you a “request for
payment” for $XXX via Paypal Goods & Services. Once payment has been received, I will mail
your package the next day and provide you with tracking details, along with detailed pictures of your
package being mailed.

Sincerely"

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
A question about the photos. Sometimes I might take a group photo of several items and then follow up with individual, detailed photos to highlight certain features. If I include a username/date tag in the group photo, do I need to also include a tag in a detail shot?

I would recommend following the rules in all photos when at all possible

After reading this I realized, why dont I time stamp the pics on the iPhone. Free app. Problem solved.
Hey guys, WTS my boat. See photo with username and today's date. $500 F&F

download (1).jpeg

Top Bottom