What's new

The Brotherhood Of Mustachioed Badgers

Thanks. There was a brief period last week where all it wanted to do was go straight out Dali style at an upward diagonal unless I wrestled it into a curl. Now it's back to cooperating more or less, but you have to start applying wax from behind as you twirl to get it anchored on the hair up top.

H no more. After a straight week of struggling to get things into shape each morning with subpar results, I had to make some cuts to keep my sanity. RIP handlebars. Some other time.

$Tear.jpg

That is indeed a sad moment but at least you didn't shave the whole mustache off! It takes a lot of patience to grow, maintain, and style the handlebar. I've found lately I apply wax daily but rarely go all out on the handlebar. I also have a full beard.

Here's what my mustache looks like currently.
$Mustache.jpg

Nice. That's a crazy amount of hair.

:lol: It's cool. A bit less rushed in the morning & less hassle all around. If I do decide to go back to it, I'll already have a head start.

My mustache 12 hours after applying Firehouse Tacky. I do trim the ends every few months. Still it does get compliments from people.

$2016 Feb.jpg

Hey everyone

I've been around for a bit on the forum in the straight razor section learning and getting advice on stones and razors i mostly find on a dutch daughter of ebay :laugh:. I'm working on a handlebar moustache, atm im combining it with a beard because i was well on the way of getting a nice stache going but i slipped while shaving and narrowed the moustache to almost Hercule Poirot size. So i had to give it another go and have it to grow back again unfortunately having to clip it a bit. The wax im using is mostly clubman pinaud neutral, also have capt. fawcett but for some reason it doesnt hold very good for me. But seeing that im a moustache noob :w00t: any advice is greatly welcomed :001_smile ! I'll be on the moustache section some more from now on trying to learn the ropes on having a great moustache. So want to join up for the brotherhood if i may. Also have my first question twisting yes or no ? And a pictures of the moustache atm.

Attachments

• $snor.jpg
    $snor.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 68
Welcome Jordy!, and it depends on the look you are going for, whether that be a classic or Western look, whatever makes you happy, you may want to try Firehouse, Dubs if you like creams, and Lockharts which I think goes on easier that Firehouse, but has about the same hold.

For an ulitmate hold you can try a glue stick, usually non toxic, looks natural and hold very well. Also for a stiff but nuclear hold you can try Got 2 be Glued. The Ultra version is clear, and does not get flaky, but it will produce a massive hold and unless you have some water it is not re-stylable. You will get a huge amount of other ideas as well from the great folks in this Brotherhood. Again welcome

Wrt twisting, once I got into doing it, the tips would go every which way if I didn't use wax. Made it so I pretty much had to wax up to not look kind of ridiculous, which is why I trimmed back the sides when I stopped doing the handlebars.

Firehouse Wacky Tacky is the first & only wax I used, but I found that once you have things at a decent stylable length, it gives a solid all day hold.

Here's a question... what if your mustache has been met with fierce resistance by an angry wife, and while sleeping it is removed? I have received significant and credible threats of this nature, so I guess what I'm asking is if one is the B.O.M.B. is he always the B.O.M.B. or does membership require renewal through continued growth? This is a serious concern of mine.

In the early stages of my handlebar the threat assessment was credible and tactical planning was needed and learning to be a very light sleeper. Countermeasures included locking up the Shave Den and placing rather large German Shepherds and "Ruger" the attack cat on Patrol. The cutting off of supply lines to Coffee and cigarettes, only increased the danger, as was in hindsight an error in strategic planning. After two years on the front it has become a non-issue and currently an cease fire is in place.

Obviously I am kidding, but at 1st the threats and teasing were relentless, but after awhile compliments began, and although the teasing of Dick Dastardly, Professor fate, Wyatt Earp, doc Holliday, etcetera, etcetera will continue in the end the SWMBO realized that is is my upper lip. That is not to say any form of bribery is acceptable.

We are like the Mafia, once in always a brother:lol:

Here's a question... what if your mustache has been met with fierce resistance by an angry wife, and while sleeping it is removed? I have received significant and credible threats of this nature, so I guess what I'm asking is if one is the B.O.M.B. is he always the B.O.M.B. or does membership require renewal through continued growth? This is a serious concern of mine.
Tell her to have patience. A longer mustache is much softer, and can even be enjoyable...

Any badgers going to be in the competition in Austin tomorrow?
no, but tell me more. maybe i can go and see it. i was planning on writing some questions on this thread for some handlebar help. did some trimming and need some advise but it may not be until tomorrow.

Respectfully request admittance to HBOMB. Several months along, learning as I go, but not where I want to be yet.

$HBomb.jpg

This photo from last weekend, a day when it was still a bit ratty. 20-degrees, brewing a Belgian Pale Ale between a single-digit weekend and snow/ice/torrential rain and 50 degrees latter that day. Brew and stache coming along nicely (thanks to Capt. Fawcett's)

Tom

I need Handlebar help

i used to trim my mustache even with my upper lip and just leave it longer on the sides. i also let it grow some beyond the end of my mouth. i have spent the last couple of months growing it all out. looking at one competition rules, i saw that the handlebar was supposed to be not have hair growing beyond you end of your upper lip on your cheeks i guess. other styles let you grow it for example 1.5cm beyond your upper lip. so two weeks ago i shaved to the end of my upper lip, and that took of some of my longest whiskers that really helped in the curl. the sides looked uneven after shaving closer on each side. last weekend i got the scissors out and combed it down and evened it all out.

this is about how it works now with wax

$stache help.jpg

the question is, when do you do any trimming? and if you do are there any angles you cut it.

now should i just keep letting it grow and use wax or got-2b-glued to control it? or should i have have some longer and others shorter?

Top Bottom