What's new

The Bristle Count

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
We have dedicated and long-running threads on what brush, what soap, what cream, what blade, etc. I have created a new shaving game, counting the bristles on the puck, in the sink, and plucked from the lather on the razor. Today's count was 19. I think it was a pretty impressive count. It does not count the loose bristles atop The Little Shedder after rinsing.

How are your numbers?

3 was the count yesterday.one on the left cheek and two in the soap. I assume you mean the tips that have broken off and it takes tweezers or a fingernail to dig them out?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
3 was the count yesterday.one on the left cheek and two in the soap. I assume you mean the tips that have broken off and it takes tweezers or a fingernail to dig them out?
Sadly for me they are chiefly full bristles.

I've lost another dozen hairs from my Chubby 3 Super Badger today. At this pace, I will be able to use it properly only until I am 1357 years-old :lol:

Just kidding, it is still quite new and I hope the shedding will go away soon.

I love the action, absorption and feel of my horsehair, but Vie-Long sent me one that has shed for well over 50 shaves. Into the 'extras' box, back out, repeat until the pennies add up to a Zenith. Between bowl, face and sink it's 6 to 10 every time.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
We have dedicated and long-running threads on what brush, what soap, what cream, what blade, etc. I have created a new shaving game, counting the bristles on the puck, in the sink, and plucked from the lather on the razor. Today's count was 19. I think it was a pretty impressive count. It does not count the loose bristles atop The Little Shedder after rinsing.

How are your numbers?
You KNOW that I will be playing along at home!

EXCELLENT idea for a thread. I will be using my Shedding King soon!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I shudder at your shedder.

You need a better brush. Zero for the win here.
Fear not. My favorite brush ever is the Kent BK4, and I have one in black on the way. I know the Chubby is highly regarded, but my experience has made me wary of ever going there. A two brush rotation of a new and a relatively new BK4 ought to see me through.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I've lost another dozen hairs from my Chubby 3 Super Badger today. At this pace, I will be able to use it properly only until I am 1357 years-old :lol:

Best of luck and hoping it settles down. My Chubby 1 never did. Other than its shedding it is a nice little brush.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
What kind of brush do you use and how new is it? Do you face lather? How hot is your water?
Simpson Chubby 1 in best, probably half a year old now. Used at least every other day. My water is hot enough that I enjoy splashing it on my face (not too hot for that). I face lather. I followed Simpson's instructions including painting and not shaking for about four months. Now I use it the same way I use my Kent, face lathering without undue pressure or splaying.

I had a Chubby 2 that would lose a couple hairs every shave for months and one day it just stopped losing them. I think thats fairly common in those huge dense knots. If someone has one that never shed I would say someone broke it in before them most likely.

Thirteen brushes (6 synthetics, one Mistura, and 6 badgers) .... and none of them shed any bristles.
Both face lathering and bowl/scuttle lathering. I guess I'm lucky not to have any shedding issues.

06A5DFFA-8B7E-43B7-9F07-99A0E00DC91B.jpeg

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I christened a Kent BKB4 today. Not a single bristle lost. As this will displace the Little Shedder in my lineup I hope not to be posting on this thread. I hope those who are afflicted by shedding will continue contributing to this public service. Shedding sucks.

• Haha
Reactions: Anu
I've had some serious shedders. One was cheap, so I eventually tossed it. The other two were nice, so I kept using them (same brand....you can probably guess which one :)). I think my record for one shave was 14.

My four current brushes will, at worst, drop one hair, once in awhile. I don't mind that. Most of the time they don't shed.

That sounds normal. Before Badger and Blade I was using cheap boar from the pharmacies. I had one last about 7-8 years before the hairs starting parting company in a mass exodus. And after that I couldn’t get 4-5 years out of one. I am so happy to find BnB and actually enjoy shaving again!!

Top Bottom