What's new

The BRGAS (Back Roads Gold Appreciation Society)

A little more of his work:

Baseplate on my Gamechanger 84:

View attachment 1502265

View attachment 1502266

Lupo 72 SB in gold:

View attachment 1502267

Gillette NEW SC in nickel:
View attachment 1502268

Lupo 95 SB base in copper
Freshly plated:
View attachment 1502269

And developing patina:
View attachment 1502270

This week I plan to ship Chris my Dad's 1963 Slim (nickel replate) that he used 6 days a week for 33 years and my Lupo 95 OC baseplate for some copper TLC. I love his work and have the highest respect for him. I especially like how he has the updates built into his web site and updates every day so the clients are never in the dark as to what's up with their cherished razors. Also his turn around time is impressive.
I freakin' love that picture of your beast next to that GC84.

My wife asked me the other day how one of these razor revamps could make a razor "better than new." I think that personal attention applied to a mass-produced razor from an artisan like Chris (or Matt Pisarcik's crew at Razor Emporium) can always make that razor shine and work better than it did from the factory. Heck, even my own personal attention to the razors I've bought has made them better (usually). Sometimes, I don't know what I'm doing and I make things worse. Stalking Chris's YouTube videos has been incredibly helpful and fascinating too.
The question of making a refurbished razor actually "better than new" arises frequently.
Gillette made hundreds of thousands of razors, many of them were freebies included with a pack of blade purchase. The gold finish used was called "wash" since it was very thin and economical. In order to extend the life of the thin gold finish, razors were coated with a durable nitrocellulose lacquer. Use a razor for daily use that's already seen maybe 30 years of daily use, and the resulting additional wear can rub off the lacquer & gold finish.
So today, when I send in an old cruddy razor that is devoid of original finish & it is replated, it recieves actual plating, which is much thicker and resistant to wear than the old thin wash. It is truly better than the original finish.
NEW SC replate.jpg

Methinks I'll be joining this club real soon!

marty
Look around on Etsy and E-Bay for cheap junk razors to send in to replate. I have several parts & pieces for Chris to work on in the mail to him now. I was originally looking for a good condition Ball End handle for a Goodwill and found a couple of cheap razors. One was good enough to refurbish, and the other provided the handle I needed. It looked like corroded & cruddy landfill, but will emerge looking as good as new.
This was a $9.99 cruddy razor that looked to have been buried for decades. After clean up and a trip to Backroads Gold, it is good to go for another 100 years:
View attachment 1505574

Look around on Etsy and E-Bay for cheap junk razors to send in to replate. I have several parts & pieces for Chris to work on in the mail to him now. I was originally looking for a good condition Ball End handle for a Goodwill and found a couple of cheap razors. One was good enough to refurbish, and the other provided the handle I needed. It looked like corroded & cruddy landfill, but will emerge looking as good as new.
This was a $9.99 cruddy razor that looked to have been buried for decades. After clean up and a trip to Backroads Gold, it is good to go for another 100 years:
View attachment 1505574
The attachment isn't working.

My stuff from Backroads Gold delivered today - several days earlier than I expected.
I've not got a 24K gold Ball End Old Type to match one in Nickel. Also got the cap & bottom plate for a New Short comb to put on a bar handle I already have.
Then there's the cap & plate for a #175 Special Goodwill along with separate handle pieces that I repaired small cracks on & need to reassemble.
And finally, a nickle Ball End handle for another project razor.

To top it off, I also got my soap delivery from Stirling, so I'm as happy as a pig in slop ...

Let’s say I try to polish my machined blackbird, and do a terrible job. I can send it to him to fix it up, right? He’s not just a shop for plating vintage?

I feel like the answer is yes, but I’d rather know beforehand instead of wasting his time.

What's it gots in its boxes we wonder, yes Precisous!
BRG razors.jpg

Chris did some outstanding plating for me on 4 of my vintage favorites.

First, my favorite open comb, the Gillette New long comb.
NEW LC gold.jpg

And my favorite (and only) Gillette Tech, the pre-War triangular lather slot version.
Prewar Tech nickel.jpg

My smoothest and most favorite GEM, a Damaskeene stamped GEM Cutlery on the back.
Damaskeene nickel.jpg

And my next favorite, the Gem Junior with that beautiful handle!
GEM Junior nickel.jpg

And now the piggy bank is depleted and maybe even in the Red!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just sent both my British Flat Bottom Techs to Chris... along with a No. 77 two piece Raised Flat Bottom to trade for his three piece No. 44 Raised Flat Bottom....though I will be out of the country when they are completed. Chris has already replated the 44 in silver, just like the 77.

I'm a bit stoked... I'll even have an OC razor for October for part-time participation in that monthly thread.

I look forward to being part of the BRGAS.

I’ve been chomping at the bit to have a razor replated, but can’t get off the gold vs. nickel fence.

On the one hand, my News were originally gold, so I like the idea of sticking with original (albeit better quality than original), for history.

On the other hand, I know nickel is a bit more durable.

On the other hand, if I was buying a factory new razor and had a choice, I’d probably choose nickel.

On the other hand BRG’s gold replates are drop dead gorgeous!

Too many hands, I’m dizzy!

lasta

Blade Biter
BUUy
I’ve been chomping at the bit to have a razor replated, but can’t get off the gold vs. nickel fence.

On the one hand, my News were originally gold, so I like the idea of sticking with original (albeit better quality than original), for history.

On the other hand, if I was buying a factory new razor and had a choice, I’d probably choose nickel.

Buy another new and try both!

You cannot make a wrong choice using Chris. All the finishes that he does (I've got at least one of Gold, Nickel, and Palladium) are superb and far better than any factory finish on a standard razor. Typically, I go for the same type of finish that was applied by the factory, but that's just me (and there are exceptions). You should know, however, that EVERY plating job that Chris does is far heavier and superior to anything that Gillette applied (with some possible exceptions for Gillette's special razors and some of the special English Gillettes). This is especially true of gold plating. Not only is Chris's gold plating heavier, it is harder, and is not covered with lacquer. I've got at least five razors and two blade banks plated in gold by Chris, and they are all stunning.

The only time I applied have had Chris apply a finish that wasn't factory was when I selected Palladium for a birth quarter Fatboy. Palladium is harder and slightly brighter than nickel, but mainly, I was just really curious, and I wanted to do something different on a birth quarter razor. That Palladium finish is so incredible that I would consider it for other items in the future.

Besides just being really good at making razors beautiful, Chris is just such a great person to do business with. Everything is done to the highest standard and promptly. I can't recommend him highly enough. Hence, my membership in BRGAS and constant praise for his services.

Top Bottom