What's new

The Body Shop

While looking for my first quality balm last evening, I wound up in The Body Shop @ the local mall. The girl recognized me from the weekend and helped me select the balm. When i went up to pay she told me everything was 50% off. The balm was originally $14.00. She rung up the sale and said "That will be $12.72." I said "I thought the balm was $7.00, on sale". She informed me there was a $5.00 donation to help fight sexual abuse. I told her I wasn't going to be forced into a donation, no matter how worthy the cause, and walked out. I did not get the balm for $7.00 plus tax.

Good on you.

They had no right to solicit money from you for a third party, regardless of the worthiness of the third party's cause.

Sounds like a bad sales pitch.
I've been getting their email sales alerts all along, and they have a $5 promotion, whereupon when you pay $5, you get your whole sale at 50% off.
Bad for her if she led you on otherwise.

A great deal if you're getting multiple items, but I've got a bunch of their cream & balm already.

Wow. I think the people must be different at every Body Shop. I went in about a month ago to get some pre-shave oil. The lady just asked if i wanted to make a donation so I said sure and put in $5. Then she gave me a sticker and a coupon for $20 off my next purchase of $50 or more. Gave it to SWMBO, since I'm never really in The Body Shop that often.

The balm was originally $14.00. She rung up the sale and said "That will be $12.72." I said "I thought the balm was $7.00, on sale". She informed me there was a $5.00 donation to help fight sexual abuse.

She charged you sales tax on the $5 donation. Pretty sure that is illegal,

That's strange. I have nothing against joining the fight against sexual abuse, but that doesn't seem right.

I think this is a vestige of their former owner before selling out to L'Oreal. I think that this kind of "social consciousness" is part of their marketing plan and their history.

I really like their products, but am no so hot on this aspect, but it is what is is...

Oh- the bag discount does not apply to prepackaged gifts. The shaving gift is marked down to $20 now anyway. It has the brush, maca root cream tub, ASB, and facial scrub in a tin box for $20 (all full size products).

Also, when it is your birthday month be sure to go in and get your gift- It is the normally $10 discount card for free, which gives you 10% off all year long......

Last edited:
Top Bottom