What's new

The "Bird" has Landed.

The “Bird” has Landed.

Yesterday late in the afternoon my overdue Blackbird arrived and after one shave it was worth the delay.

My first “BB” shave short version. "This might be the closest shave I have ever experienced".

Pre-shave: Grooming Dept. (if you do not have some, buy some)
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Machined Finish
Blade: Gillette Platinum (Blue Box)
Soap: Wholly Kaw La Fougère Parfaite Tallow
Brush: Kent BK8
Toner: Thayers Witch Hazel
After Shave: Proraso Green

First let me say that all 4 of my Blackland purchases (Dart, Sabre, Vector, Blackbird) were the machined finish version and I have never been disappointed or questioned my choice vs. the polished choice. As an ex Harley Davidson owner, I do love some bling, but I think that the machined version compliments Blackland’s line of razors.

Once I finished my pre-shave routine, I proceeded with extreme caution riding the cap as I did with the Dart. After just 2 strokes WTG I felt like I could take a more aggressive angle without creating additional aggressiveness (I was right). If you like blade feel and smooth, then this is the razor for you. Although I was careful and slow while shaving my neck and jawline the result was almost as close as my face (a closer shave result than with my Timeless Ti95).

I am not a big fan of blade feel or a real aggressive razor however the blade feel and the aggressiveness that the Blackbird offers is nothing close to a CG L3. The Blackbird is more efficient than an L3 Charcoal Goods and there is no comparison in the comfort. I tried hard to make the CG L3 work, but it was too much for me. The “BB” also has much less blade feel and is much smoother and more comfortable than the Dart and it is a much, much closer shave.

I have relied on my Timeless Ti SB95 as my go-to razor but with some practice, I can see the Blackbird taking over. I have owned several modern DE’s (ATT Windsor M, R, & H, Timeless SS68, and SS95, Timeless Ti95, R41, GC 68, GC 84OC, Mamba 70, Charcoal Goods L2, and L3) but the Blackbird and the Ti95 are my most satisfying acquisitions. The Blackbird with some practice could be #1 and my Ti95 #2.

Finally, I think that the Blackbird is going to be blade friendly which is a plus if you like swapping out different blades as I do. I had almost zero alum feedback and a nice fresh feel with Proraso alcohol-based aftershave.

As expected with the entire Blackland line the Blackbird's finish, fit and balance are top tier.

If you missed purchasing the Blackbird when the discount was offered, you will not be disappointed by paying the full price. If you qualify for Shane’s generous military discount use it, buy the BB.

Sorry, if that sounds like a commercial, but this razor is that good, and I approve of this message.

BB.jpg

Not a Blackbird but my pasta-loving Caique...and you thought that I meant that the Blackbird had landed.

Shaggy4.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That is a beautiful, spoiled rotten bird!

I had a budgie that was that spoiled a long time ago.

Wonderful Review & Gorgeous Pic! The Caique is a very pretty Bird. I must say that the efficiency of the Blackbird is remarkable considering the small gap, All this without loosing smoothness. Heck, I even changed my avatar after it slayed all my Razors in my Den.

Also We Welcome every B&B member who wants to Share their love for this magnificent razor.
Join the Blackland Blackbird Brotherhood, AKA B³!! We post SOTD pics, share the love of the Blackbird and We help each other if a member needs advice/tips etc. Here is the link:

I've never used a Timeless razor but have often used an R41. Does anyone know how the Blackbird compares with the R41 in terms of closeness ?

How much was the discount previously? I go back and forth on this one, but if there is a good discount, I might be swayed to tempt the wife’s wrath.

Top Bottom