What's new

The biggest lie in traditional shaving

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I knew it was just a matter of time before that old chestnut was dropped lol

My favorite twin disposable costs 30 cents a pop and lasts me 5 shaves on average. I never have to clean it, fiddle with blades, sharpen or hone it, and can shave on autopilot and not worry about cutting myself. I will look for nothing else unless they stop making it!
What is your favorite twin disposable?

Great thread!!

To me the ’biggest lie’ in ‘traditional’ wet shaving is that spending more $ will result in a better shave!

Better technique results in a better shave. PERIOD! (Or at least in my experience.)

That said, I enjoy using quality products. So I set a budget and stick to it as well as I can.

Great thread!!

To me the ’biggest lie’ in ‘traditional’ wet shaving is that spending more $ will result in a better shave!

Better technique results in a better shave. PERIOD! (Or at least in my experience.)

That said, I enjoy using quality products. So I set a budget and stick to it as well as I can.
That's a good point too. Even expensive high quality products won't perform if not used properly

So I spent $80 on a lot that gave me 6 useable SRs, 30 bucks on a Case SR, 30 on a Genco I wanted, 35 on an ERN C&S SR, and 55 on an old stubtail SR that's likely pre 1820. Then I bought 2 pucks of soap through the year for a total of 30 bucks.

What am I at, $260 for the year? I would have spent half that on carts and foam... but then all I would have is some plastic in the trash. I wouldn't have a 200 year old razor that will shave, with ivory scales to boot. If I ever needed money, or no longer cared for collecting vintage SRs, I could probably recoup most (if not all) of the money I spent. Try selling a used Mach3 handle.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have never believed in letting the truth get in the way of a good story.

But if I had to be honest, I'd estimate that all of my stories are basically true, with some names changed to protect the guilty.
I will add that my son and I have resolved to do a podcast together, conversational. He's old enough to hear 90% of the crap I survived, lol.

I wish I had done videotaping of my older family back in the day. Would have been priceless to me now.

I have to buy a microphone I've been told. One that HE approves of doggone!

It is odd, how you CAN save money wet shaving. I mean, you can buy a serviceable DE safety razor and blades at the Dollar Store. You can use a dollar brush and dollar shaving soap. You can even use dollar cream in a can. I was actually saving money with my DE89 and blades. I had a cheap brush and some inexpensive soap. I didn't NEED anything else. Then came the day I accidentally found this forum. I had no idea it existed. I swear I was looking at something else and this forum popped up on the search engine, somehow. Well, from that point on, I stopped saving money wet shaving. I also note I haven't bought a new Spyderco since, either.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I would agree two blade carts are the sweet spot. I have some Atra and TracII that I like. Also like the Gillete SkinGuard for the same reason. Will consider the Bic when I travel. Have never used it. I prefer non carts, but it had nothing to do with the fact that I couldn't get a good shave with a cart. Dead easy to get a good shave with a cart. I suspect many would not mind them so much if they spent a bit of time looking for one that worked for them and put as much work into the prep that they do for wet shaving.

Top Bottom