What's new

The biggest lie in traditional shaving

It doesn’t have to be expensive. I started 50 years ago with a Gillette SuperSpeed and 5 blades for $1.99. I use it still.

I have a Tech I got for free. My Lord razors cost less than $10 each. I’ve never paid more than $17 for a razor.

My blades cost 10 cents a piece. I use them 3 times; I could probably go 5 but at 3.3 cents per shave what’s the point? My soap is free. I use hand soap scraps and make magnificent lather with my $4 brush.

I can buy a large bottle of Skin Bracer or Barbasol aftershave for $2.

It can be very inexpensive.
I really rather admire your restraint but now I have to know... How do you manage to whip up a great lather with hand soap? Out of curiosity I tried it a few times but it did not end well 😭

Well
I got into this to 1) get a better shave, 2) waste less plastic, and 3) possibly save some money.

3 did not happen, but 1 and 2 certainly did. I can now get a close, comfortable shave with zero irritation using products that I truly enjoy. There is no conceivable way that I could have learned what I have learned and discovered the products that I have discovered without having spent a few bucks. Money well spent!
Well said. The main reason I tried traditional wet shaving was to get better shaves that would in turn improve my complexion and the reason I still shave this way is because it worked.

In terms of the money spent over the years, that is a small price to pay for great skin and an enjoyable hobby with likeminded people.

It doesn’t have to be expensive. I started 50 years ago with a Gillette SuperSpeed and 5 blades for $1.99. I use it still.

I have a Tech I got for free. My Lord razors cost less than $10 each. I’ve never paid more than $17 for a razor.

My blades cost 10 cents a piece. I use them 3 times; I could probably go 5 but at 3.3 cents per shave what’s the point? My soap is free. I use hand soap scraps and make magnificent lather with my $4 brush.

I can buy a large bottle of Skin Bracer or Barbasol aftershave for $2.

It can be very inexpensive.
I totally admire you for that.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If elected are you going to make it mandatory that every man keeps a stick of arko in his den at all times?
No. I will change the duties of IRS agents to go door to door and anyone that has a stick of Arko will get a tax free year.

Everyone else will have to pay double.

And another thing: I will continue to cut my own hair, this saving fuel on Air Force One flying me out to Hollywood for the task.

I will eat at the homeless shelter I plan to open in the lobby of the Library of Congress, at least weekly. Nobody uses libraries anyway, unless they are checking out DVDs.

It's an apples and oranges argument. But any supplier of razors that has a model of selling a subscription or more blades/supplies has to market their stuff as "save money with us" because that's what everyone else is 'selling' Chevy's are cheaper than Teslas or BMW's. They don't know how to market this stuff and ssometimes price is all they got.

No. I will change the duties of IRS agents to go door to door and anyone that has a stick of Arko will get a tax free year.

Everyone else will have to pay double.

And another thing: I will continue to cut my own hair, this saving fuel on Air Force One flying me out to Hollywood for the task.

I will eat at the homeless shelter I plan to open in the lobby of the Library of Congress, at least weekly. Nobody uses libraries anyway, unless they are checking out DVDs.
I like that plan! Do we get a stimulus check if we have a bottle of the veg too?

It's an apples and oranges argument. But any supplier of razors that has a model of selling a subscription or more blades/supplies has to market their stuff as "save money with us" because that's what everyone else is 'selling' Chevy's are cheaper than Teslas or BMW's. They don't know how to market this stuff and ssometimes price is all they got.

I think you missed my intent. I was simply saying that wet shaving has the POTENTIAL to save money if you have self restraint. A lot of articles that are trying to convince you to give up a subscription service or cartridge razors always give reasons like more environmentally friendly or saving money. True, buying one DE and 100 blades is definitely cheaper than buying cartridges for the amount of shaves you get from each.

I think it safe to say though that most members here are less concerned about saving money than they are about enjoying quality products and shaves.

FarmerTan

I like that plan! Do we get a stimulus check if we have a bottle of the veg too?
No. At least, no stimulus for you. I plan to tap you for a cabinet position, and my cabinet won't pay taxes. Ya gotta have some perks, cuz you won't get a salary. Me either. We'll be having too much fun fixing this 100 year old mess to get paid for it!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think a person can save money by trimming his own hair with clippers(head shaving with DE or Cart razors same thing) and that is exactly what I have done over the last 5 years and I have a lot of gear. I use to spend $30 a month(hair cut, tip $ gas to get there) on making a appointment for a hair trim & approx $80 on cartridges and gel per year(daily shaver) = $440 per year X 5 years = $2,200, but I bought & spent my savings on shave related gear over the years, this year I will be up a little if I behave in my spending habits on shaving. I had a blast in those rabbit holes buying and trying :001_smile!

No. At least, no stimulus for you. I plan to tap you for a cabinet position, and my cabinet won't pay taxes. Ya gotta have some perks, cuz you won't get a salary. Me either. We'll be having too much fun fixing this 100 year old mess to get paid for it!

Maybe you could nominate me to lead the ATF. I believe that should be a convenience store where you can buy all three! That would eliminate the national debt from income generated.

FarmerTan

Maybe you could nominate me to lead the ATF. I believe that should be a convenience store where you can buy all three! That would eliminate the national debt from income generated.
I like the way you think.

We now are into the 4th generation of not giving an education with our tax dollars.

I heard on the news that a "ride share" guy put a woman out (ON THE HIGHWAY) of his car because she barfed. It was after, I assume, a New Year's celebration. She stepped into traffic, was hit by a truck, then run over by another car.

People were arguing about whether or not the "ride share" driver was in any way at fault.

I can't help but assume that if she'd taken a REAL TAXI she would still be alive, because the driver would have been intelligent enough to drive to the next exit and deposit her at a well lit street corner.

If I become president, I will institute the death penalty for bad manners, such as the "ride share" driver exhibited.

"I approve this message"

I really rather admire your restraint but now I have to know... How do you manage to whip up a great lather with hand soap? Out of curiosity I tried it a few times but it did not end well 😭
Soak brush 30 seconds. Cover your soap in the bowl w water for 30 seconds. Shake water out of brush, 3 shakes. Pour water out of bowl. Whip up lather moving brush in circular motion, then side to side 15-30 seconds. Apply nice lather to wet face. Work it around a little to cover shaving area. Shave.

Soak brush 30 seconds. Cover your soap in the bowl w water for 30 seconds. Shake water out of brush, 3 shakes. Pour water out of bowl. Whip up lather moving brush in circular motion, then side to side 15-30 seconds. Apply nice lather to wet face. Work it around a little to cover shaving area. Shave.
Fair do's. I only ever managed to build a really thin & bubbly lather with hand soap. I'll blame it on the hard water in my area ;)

Top Bottom