What's new

The Big Tobacco Pipe Information Thread

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
+1 on Forever stems. I have at least three of them in different lengths, Churchwarden, semi CW and standard lengths.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Is there a big difference if you smoke your Falcon with or without cleaner? I got sick of the fiddling and smoke them now without anything.

I'd say yes, in that the filter catches more gunk than the humidor would/does without it, with no reduction in taste. Much like using balsa filters, really. The only reason I don't use balsa filters more often, is my briar pipes don't take them.

There are inserts if you don't want to use a filter but don't like the wide open draw of leaving out the filter. Not sure that they fit an MM cob, but I would imagine it could be modified to do so.
Filters & Adaptors Savinelli 6mm Adapter (5 pack) | Buy Filters & Adaptors Pipe Accessories at Smokingpipes.com - https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/filters-and-adaptors/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=77100
I have retrofitted my 9mm Stanwells and 6mm Savinellis, works like a charm!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Could not resist this …
8FE7733B-6E0D-42C6-BC5E-B67F89566004.png

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I started this thread for anyone, obviously, but it is mostly for me to pick your brains and learn. I think most of you are way ahead of me in pipe and tobacco knowledge, and although I've smoked pipes, on and off (mostly off), for years, I think I'm completely hooked now and diving deeper into the rabbit hole.

It turns out I have not smoked any Va/Pers! So I just ordered a sampling of some and while on SP I came across this wonderful article, which I thought I'd share here. I found it interesting and informative.

My sampler which is on the way...

smoke.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I think most of you are way ahead of me in pipe and tobacco knowledge

I might be ahead of you in terms of opinion, but I am not sure that translates to knowledge. I'm happy to share those opinions though, even if many/most here would disagree with me. :)

It turns out I have not smoked any Va/Pers! So I just ordered a sampling of some and while on SP I came across this wonderful article, which I thought I'd share here. I found it interesting and informative.

As with English blends, I tend to prefer mild/moderate over Perique or Latakia heavy. A mild blend still tends to get richer in the second half of the bowl, unless dried to behind crunchy, and a blend that starts too full, can get unbearable for me in the second half.

As such, I tend to agree with the salt analogy in the article, but would extend it to Latakia too. If you can distinctly taste it, it has too much (for me).

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Question: Dutch ceramic pipes. Anyone have one (or several)

I remember having one of these back in my college days, but it's long gone. They are super cheap, and have some of the characteristics of Meerschaum, I believe, but they are not porous at all. Impossible to burn out, light weight, kept clean, they won't ghost, no breakin, that sort of thing. I'm toying of getting one on a lark just because they are so cheap. IIRC these have a double-walled bowl.

What's the experience around here with them?

smoke.jpg

Hmmm, maybe I'm wrong about the double wall. The way this one is drilled it may be solid.

smoke.jpg

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
My favorite VaPer is Esoterica Dunbar but it's not worth today's secondary market prices. My suggestion would be to have your finger on the button 12/1 at the stroke of midnight for this:

View attachment 1365680

Do I really have to stay up until midnight, will it go before morning? And where to buy it from if I'm going to be 'finger on the button'?

Do I really have to stay up until midnight, will it go before morning? And where to buy it from if I'm going to be 'finger on the button'?
Being Sutliff now has an owner's interest in Tobaccopipes, I'd begin there but wouldn't limit the search to that vendor.

This stuff will be hotter than morning coffee. I'm not waiting.

I started this thread for anyone, obviously, but it is mostly for me to pick your brains and learn. I think most of you are way ahead of me in pipe and tobacco knowledge, and although I've smoked pipes, on and off (mostly off), for years, I think I'm completely hooked now and diving deeper into the rabbit hole.

My sampler which is on the way...

View attachment 1365114
I want to give you a word of warning about Bayou Morning. It's a wonderful tobacco blend with this in mind. It has the smoothness, subtly, and refinement of a brick wrapped in barbed wire being thrown by an angry clown driving a Vespa. Now that is not a bad thing in my book. There are definitely times I'm not interested in chasing nuance. And smoked slowly it's boldness translates to some wonderful flavors. But be aware this won't hesitate to kick you like a particularly grumpy mule.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
No comments about the ceramic pipe, post #48? I guess I'll just have to try one! :)

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
No comments about the ceramic pipe, post #48? I guess I'll just have to try one! :)
I don't have any experience with that style of pipe, but if I were to get one, I'd go with a Lepeltier. I've heard good things about them.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Rehydrating Tobacco

This is so stupid simple, it's almost not worth posting, but after watching Muttonchop piper's rehydration video, like most of his it's about 8 times longer than it needs to be, and too fiddly (make a well in the tobacco, put a bottle cap in there, etcetera). But the idea was sound, and I had some older stuff in a spring top ceramic jar, so I just modified it a little. The coffee filter idea is genius, I think. That is a brown one, not a white one, but it is a balled-up coffee filter.

Just make a little square of aluminum foil into a slightly cupped shape so you don't get any water directly on the tobacco. Crunch up a coffee filter, douse with distilled water, squeeze out the excess, and set it on the foil and let it sit for 24-48 hours. If it needs more, repeat. The beauty of this method is you creep up on the right hydration level, with little likelihood of overshooting it, and there is no chance of wetting the tobacco, which will give you problems later.

pipe.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Methods I've used for rehydration:

1) The slice of Apple trick
2) Tupperware box, with open tin at one side, and wet paper towel at the other. Replace lid, and leave overnight. Two days may be needed for thick flakes.
3) Pack the pipe, cover the bowl with palm, and slowly breathe down the pipe. Probably three deep breaths for flake, two for ribbon.
4) When making a cup of tea, waft the lid of the tin through the steam as the kettle comes to the boil, collecting some condensation on the underside.
5) Very light splash of spirits (rum, Bourbon, etc)

Top Bottom