What's new

The best synthetic

I really like my PAA brushes, the Star Craft and Amber Aerolite. The knots feature a hybrid bulb/fan shape and the retro inspired handles are a bonus.

The only other synths I tried are Yaqi, which I gifted away after I acquired the PAAs.

IMG_20210316_163256.jpg

I hate to think about how much I've spent on 25 brushes the past 11 years. While I love my 2-band Thaters and Rudy Shavemac, I could have saved a lot of money if my 24mm RazoRock Chrome synth was an option when I started. I hated, and sold or chucked, my first two (more expensive) synth brushes, but my inexpensive RR synth is a great brush. Here it's pictured between a Thater 2-band and Rooney 3-band.

I had a 26mm tuxedo knot (2015) I used for several years until it began to wear out, fibers becoming mis-shaped and not as soft as it once was. I never thought I would use anything else, until I started to try some of the latest synthetic knots. I purchased an AP Shave Co G5A SHD 26mm, a FS G4 28mm, a Boti 3 color, and another 26mm tuxedo knot to reknot my original. WOW, I have to say I love the G5A: super soft, good backbone, & nice splay. I put the 26mm knot in a 28mm handle and set the loft at 53mm very nice. The FS G4 has a very soft face feel but still a little stiff. I think with more use it will be a close second brush when I need a little more scrub. The Boti 3C is a nice dense knot, with soft face feel, but just not as soft as the other two. Nice backbone though. Still have to match that to a handle and use it for a true evaluation. For me the G5A is the best I have found so far.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Looks like this thread is being revived. Based on the OP's question, I would vote for the AP Shave Co. G5A knot... excellent synthetic knot that resembles and feels like a badger knot.

Simpson T3, Omega Roma (with similar fines as the Evo) and the Razorock Plissoft 400 are some of my best brushes. Personally, better than my badger (but in its defence my badger is my first and therefore oldest brush - so it’s lost a major part of its backbone, and I used it this morning; still a lovely brush).

Guido

If you like a lot of backbone Omega EVO, if you'd like a little less the STF is great.
But the knot itself is similar between both? I'm asking because it looks like Omega Evo, Simpson Trafalgar and Muhle Silvertip Badger share the same knot (purely based on how it looks).

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
But the knot itself is similar between both? I'm asking because it looks like Omega Evo, Simpson Trafalgar and Muhle Silvertip Badger share the same knot (purely based on how it looks).
I'm not a synthetic expert, but they sure don't feel like the same knot. How deep they're set can make a difference, but my EVO has considerably more backbone than my Muhle. The EVO is less likely to throw a bit of lather around if I get too fast, but the splay requires some effort - sometimes an uncomfortable amount on my neck. I suppose there is some variety between production models.

I would not judge the quality and characteristics of knots visually, you're right - they all look about the same.

Top Bottom