What's new

The best synthetic

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Great response, thank you

You are most welcome. :)

Please bear in mind that I do not use synthetics in place of badger or boar. I use each brush type for the strengths that brush type brings to my face. I don't expect a synthetic to be a boar or a badger. I want the best quality that particular brush type has to offer.

Sometimes, I'll use primarily one brush type for a month, sometimes for a week, sometimes completely random. When I use my synthetic brushes, i do not feel like I am missing any of the quality that I get with my badger or boar brushes.

Hope this helps. :)

My favorite brush is the RazoRock 400 with the Plissoft know. It’s nothing like a Badger. In my opinion, it is better than a Badger. I retired my Super Badger and bought a second 400. That’s how much I love this brush. Below are two 400”s. One in natural aluminum and the second in black enameled aluminum. $20 per brush.

View attachment 1237085
I too find the Plissoft knot is my favorite of all the synthetic knots I've tried. However, I'm still a badger boy.

The Plissoft knot aged extremely well. Even if it's a few generations old, the RazoRock Bruce is still a favorite of mine.

If I would have to choose my absolute favorite synth it would be the Simpson Platinum grade.
Second choice would be the Muhle "Silversynth". Epsilon in Spain makes a very nice brush with a very similar fiber in a larger size (26mm). The Omega Evo is another brush that received big praises.

Honorable mention for the cheap Yaqi Mew Brown knot.

What is the best orange, that most closely resembles an apple?

I'd agree with those that say synthetic and badger brushes are two different things. Two fine synthetics I currently have are the PAA Starcraft with Roswell Grey knot and Yaqi Purple Haze with Mew Brown knot.

Roswell Grey
Silksmoke
Mew Brown
Synbad

The Muhle STF brushes in medium or large sizes are probably closest to what you are looking for.

My favorite and most used brush is a Razorock Plissoft (26mm), although I have another 24mm that I like about as well. I did get a Muhle STF 25mm a year or so ago and it's a decent brush. Makes great lather but it doesn't splay easily and the tips aren't as soft as the Plissoft so I just don't use the Muhle as much.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Badger and synthetic are two different beasts. Simply put at the end of the day both will put lather on your face. Both will have their strenghts and weaknesses. If you like a badger buy a badger and visa versa. Don't buy a synthetic and expect to get a badger or boar. I would respectfully suggest get both and rotate. I have a number of Yaqi synthetic and love them and some hi end badger which I love as well.
Here is a mix of my Yaqi

Attachments

• 131CDFE0-C0F5-4CDC-8019-201A3FEF5FD3.jpg
    131CDFE0-C0F5-4CDC-8019-201A3FEF5FD3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
Thanks for your input everyone. I like the sound of the muhle stf. Does anybody have any experience with the yaqi mink, frank shave G4 or ap shave co synbad?

I have the Yaqi Mink and it is a very good brush for face lathering as unlike many synthetics it splays easily. It feels soft and comfortable on the face and the handle is ergonomic. I also have and enjoy the Yaqi Timberwolf which doesn't splay quite as easily as the Mink but is still fine and has the added attraction of loading more soap off the puck for the same amount of effort than any other brush I own. I highly recommend either or both.

I use and enjoy the Yaqi Rainbow Brown, Yaqi Mink, TNS Full Moon and PAA Roswell Gray Hybrid. I did not like the Simpsons Chubby 2 or T2, the Yaqi Familia Sagrada Tuxedo and the Stirling Kong.

No synthetic I have tried so far truly resembles a badger or boar brush any more than one of those natural hair brushes resemble the other.

Too many options and too many varying responses. Unfortunately, you'll be the only person to determine this.
Having said that, my preference is the Chubby 2 synthetic.
Exactly! One almost has to commit to trying a bunch of stuff, and sell or gift what doesn't make the cut. Almost always, stuff that did not work for me was wanted by another.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have had very good success with Yaqi synthetic brushes & Razorock Plissoft in the synthetic Brushes.

(L)Yaqi brushes with some back bone.................(R)Yaqi brushes with less back bone..........Razorock noir 400 & reg Plissofts
Yaqi cluster of brushes!.jpg
Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft 24mm (2).jpg
Razorock plissoft 24mm (2).jpg

All excellent brushes for generating lather, soft tips, scrubbing & lather painting IMO.

Top Bottom