What's new

The best synthetic

Buying synthetics to mimic badger did not really work for me.
In my case, I wasn't really looking to do that I the first place.
I was just pissed off about some badger brushes costing so much,
when they are in fact a perishable item.

Ive since enjoyed the 25mm Muhle STF knot (discontinued) in
a wolf whispers hande. And a Simpsons Trafalgar T3.
Both look great and do the job with a minimum of fuss.

These two are my favorite synthetics and, to me, come closes to the feel and performance of badger.

Muhle Sil Fibre.jpg
Rudy Vey Syn.jpg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Synthetics aren't like badgers, so you're asking the wrong question. The best synthetics I've used are the M7 from Simpsons, and a 24mm Cashmere knot in a handle from Wild West Brushworks. They are two very different knots. I've also enjoyed the Razorock 24mm Plissoft, the Simpsons Chubby 2 and Duke 3, and a Zenith synth that somehow made it through production without the glue bump that makes most Zenith synthetics a frustrating waste of money. Without the glue bump it's like a Muhle STF. Outstanding little brush.

Thanks for your input everyone. I like the sound of the muhle stf. Does anybody have any experience with the yaqi mink, frank shave G4 or ap shave co synbad?

Last edited:
Reactions: nav
Thanks for your input everyone. I like the sound of the muhle stf. Does anybody have any experience with the yaqi mink and the frank shave G4?
I have tried the G4. It felt like a good knot, not too firm or soft, I would consider buying one in the future if I had a handle needing a knot. I would say it is most similar to the Simpson Trafalgar knot.

My favorite brush is the RazoRock 400 with the Plissoft know. It’s nothing like a Badger. In my opinion, it is better than a Badger. I retired my Super Badger and bought a second 400. That’s how much I love this brush. Below are two 400”s. One in natural aluminum and the second in black enameled aluminum. $20 per brush.

EAEC2180-B360-4CF8-A5D8-B3962C260D61.jpeg

Synthetics aren't like badgers, so you're asking the wrong question. The best synthetics I've used are the M7 from Simpsons, and a 24mm Cashmere knot in a handle from Wild West Brushworks. They are two very different knots. I've also enjoyed the Razorock 24mm Plissoft, the Simpsons Chubby 2 and Duke 3, and a Zenith synth that somehow made it through production without the glue bump that makes most Zenith synthetics a frustrating waste of money. Without the glue bump it's like a Muhle STF. Outstanding little brush.

Agreed. While synthetics are not like badgers, there are some really good ones. I like the Simpson Trafalgar line of brushes.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Please bear in mind that I bowl lather 90% of the time.

A sampling of the commercially available brushes in my Den:

Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak (IBO) AS3M Handle with a Mühle 25mm Silvertip Fibre (STF) Knot:
shave 20210312.jpg

Simpson Trafalgar T3:
shave 20210311.jpg

Simpson The Duke 3 Synthetic:
shave 20210302.jpg

Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic:
shave 20210228.jpg

Simpson Trafalgar T2:
shave 20210226.jpg

Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle with a TurnNShave 26mm Original BOSS Fan:
shave 20210221.jpg

Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E with a TurnNShave 26mm Quartermoon Knot:
shave 20210204.jpg

Wild West Brushworks Venom Handle with a TurnNShave 26mm Timberwolf Fan:
shave 20210203.jpg

Omega EVO:
shave 20210219.jpg

Listed in no particular order, the synthetic brushes listed above all perform from very good to excellent. The Muhle STF (in the Rudy Vey, Muhle and EJ brushes), TNS BOSS Original Fan, TNS Quartermoon, TNS Timberwolf and TNS Full Moon knots and Omega EVO brush are all really good synthetics. The Simpson synthetic brushes try to emulate badger. You will either really like them - or not. I happen to think that they are pretty good and do use them.

Not commercially available, my Desert Island Synthetic Brush remains the @Graydog Backyard Maple Chubby with a TurnNShave 26mm Full Moon knot:
shave 20210207.jpg

Just my opinion and YMMV.

Beauty lineup. I especially like the Heritage Ever-Ready. It’s a looker

Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak (IBO) AS3M Handle with a Mühle 25mm Silvertip Fibre (STF) Knot:
View attachment 1237107

Simpson Trafalgar T3:
View attachment 1237108

View attachment 1237114

View attachment 1237115

Simpson Trafalgar T2:
View attachment 1237116

Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle with a TurnNShave 26mm Original BOSS Fan:
View attachment 1237117

View attachment 1237121

View attachment 1237126

Omega EVO:
View attachment 1237135

Listed in no particular order, the synthetic brushes listed above all perform from very good to excellent. The Muhle STF (in the Rudy Vey, Muhle and EJ brushes), TNS BOSS Original Fan, TNS Quartermoon, TNS Timberwolf and TNS Full Moon knots and Omega EVO brush are all really good synthetics. The Simpson synthetic brushes try to emulate badger. You will either really like them - or not. I happen to think that they are pretty good and do use them.

Not commercially available, my Desert Island Synthetic Brush remains the @Graydog Backyard Maple Chubby with a TurnNShave 26mm Full Moon knot:
View attachment 1237134

If you want a synth that feels like its boar counterpart then I can safely say that the new Kent infinity plus model 3 is a dead ringer for the older Kent V series of boar brush (of which I have a couple). It isn't like any other synth I've ever used. Its not even like the original kent infinity brush. It behaves just like an old kent boar, same kinda water retention, face feel, handle feel, and face lather ability. I really like it but at the price of £25 plus postage pushing it to nearly £30, there are cheaper alternatives out there.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

View attachment 1237107

Simpson Trafalgar T3:
View attachment 1237108

View attachment 1237114

View attachment 1237115

Simpson Trafalgar T2:
View attachment 1237116

View attachment 1237117

View attachment 1237121

View attachment 1237126

Omega EVO:
View attachment 1237135

View attachment 1237134

Can't forget the PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid Synthetic:
shave 20210220.jpg

If you want a synth that feels like its boar counterpart then I can safely say that the new Kent infinity plus model 3 is a dead ringer for the older Kent V series of boar brush (of which I have a couple). It isn't like any other synth I've ever used. Its not even like the original kent infinity brush. It behaves just like an old kent boar, same kinda water retention, face feel, handle feel, and face lather ability. I really like it but at the price of £25 plus postage pushing it to nearly £30, there are cheaper alternatives out there.

The Kent Infinity Plus definitely has some scritch. I can see where the comparison to a Boar could be made.
shave 20210224.jpg

View attachment 1237107

Simpson Trafalgar T3:
View attachment 1237108

View attachment 1237114

View attachment 1237115

Simpson Trafalgar T2:
View attachment 1237116

View attachment 1237117

View attachment 1237121

View attachment 1237126

Omega EVO:
View attachment 1237135

View attachment 1237134

Great response, thank you

Top Bottom