What's new

The Best Razor on the market

tones (name??),

I think it is highly subjective and you're going to get a ton of opinions on here about that statement. I own a Vision, I also own a long handle and an HD. I can tell you that I can get close comfortable shaves from all my razors. The Vision has it's strong points such as being able to get surgically close to your skin and it is well balanced. But, on the other side of the coin, it's bulky, hard to get under the nose and it's extremely unforgiving for beginners.

It's all a matter of opinion. Glad you like yours. :smile:

Welcome to B&B :badger:

A proper can of worms you’ve opened here!

I get on well with the Vision; I haven’t had any issues with the large head around my nose which seems to be the biggest complaint. The adjustment seems huge, going from so wide it’s not really a safety razor to reasonably narrow. I have a fault with mine where the adjuster ring has gone a bit strange, the most open position on the razor is between the S and the I I can rotate the ring round to the N having passed through more than 360 degrees, it’s not really a problem and there’s adjustment across the entire (extended) range.

I have the followinf Merkur Razors:

Vision
Futur
Slant Bar
Classic Long Handle
Classic Open Comb

I haven’t used an HD and I doubt I’ll buy one as the slant does just fine but I rate the Slant as the best that I have. I get good consistent shaves with it. The Vision is over-engineered to justify the price in my opinion. Unfortunately, best doesn’t equal most expensive.

It's no longer on the market, but the 1937 patent Schick Injector is hands down the best razor ever. Loaded with a Feather Pro Guard blade it is a force to be reckoned with. The Schick gives a consistently smooth, irritation free shave every time. The blades shave as close as a DE and last longer. The razor itself is well made and most importantly, it is easy to use. No messing around trying to find the optimum angle, as long as you keep it flat on your face the angle is there without any trial and error. Best of all, the Schick improves your technique with other razor's, if I could get the blades more easily I would use it everyday. I know the topic of the post was the best on the market, but you can pick these up cheaply and easily on ebay for a fraction of the cost of a Merkur which doesn't shave as well. Sure, I still like my Futur a lot, but when I want the best possible shave the Schick is the obvious solution. They should be mandatory for every new shaver.

I don't believe there is a razor that is perfect in all aspects for everyone. However, I have the Vision and it is close to the perfect razor for me, but not for all. While many are similiar, not everyone is the same and you will find many different opinions.

Bud

I know that I run the risk of counding a little cynical here... but for a new member (who is a retailer) to announce that the Vision is "the best razor on the market" when it is also the most expensive DE razor that they sell... well, that just seems a little disingenuous. I do not mean to cause any hard feelings here, but lets just say that this has my spidey sense tingling.

NMMB said:
I know that I run the risk of counding a little cynical here... but for a new member (who is a retailer) to announce that the Vision is "the best razor on the market" when it is also the most expensive DE razor that they sell... well, that just seems a little disingenuous. I do not mean to cause any hard feelings here, but lets just say that this has my spidey sense tingling.

My sentiments exactly.:biggrin:
I don't have a Vision but I do own a Futur and the HD model and to tell you the truth, I am not crazy about the Futur and also the Merkur blades while we're at it.
In my opinion, the Gillette DE razors of yesteryear are the best and are second to none.

IMV the Vision is way down the table of best New razor available, it has some fundamental design faults - no that honour probably goes to the Merkur HD - keeping your sideburns level isn't so easy with a Slant.

As to best razor ever - there is no such thing, it's too subjective. However, Gillettes Toggle, 195, 1940's Super Speed, 1940's Aristocrat & 1930's NEW Deluxe models are hard to beat on the design & quality of construction front.

Regards
John

I know that many gents enjoy using the Vision, and many brag about using it "wide open". It's never been on my short list, in fact, it's never been ON my list. I toyed with the idea of a Futur for a couple of weeks, but decided I had all of the adjustable razors I needed...then traded for a Progress!

Randy

I'm very fond of the old Gillette adjustables; I have a toggle, but it is mint (read: "Beautiful") and every time I go to use it...I cringe and instead grab the standard Gillette adjustable, of which I have a few more of...
The only Merkur I have owned was a futur, which was nice, but I personally like the old Gillettes better.
I also know this is sacrilege, but on days I am in a rush, I have gotten surprisingly good shaves with a Gillette fusion....I bought both the powered and the non-powered version, and surprisingly, like the (metal) non-powered version better. Light years ahead of the MachIII, and the first cartridge razor to shave me almost or as close as my DE's do....
I've never been that interested in the Vision, but perhaps someday I will try one.
Gillette really should consider reintroducing their adjustables, we alone would make it worth their while, I think, even if it wasn't their newest, whiz-bang seller...
John P.

S

Sam

I get better shaves with the slant bar. The vision has been both great and ho-hum to me. I find that the Gillette adjustable shaves just as well as a Vision, and at the end of the day, that is what it is all about

Sam

NMMB said:
I won't be cynical. Hell, tonesbarbershop.co.uk, I'll even give you the benefit of the doubt here. But, instead of stating it's the best razor on the market, why don't you tell us why you think it's the best razor on the market. As a distributor, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.

When comparing razors, they rank in this order( for me and my face):

VISION and Gillette adjustable # 1 and 1a

Merkur HD

now its hard for me to admit this, but if I had purchased the gillette first, the VISION would be on the back burner-mind u , i would still have bought it(RAD, u know :wink: ), but it would have been for its cool, space age looks- and the fact that SWMBO would refuse to touch it!

Marty

I love my Vision now....after lasik surgery....no wait...

I love my vision now after finding out about the adjustment ring. I adjusted it down and now I can have a better range of opening for me....I can not shave with the standard setting because it is to wide open for me...however, since this adjustment, this razor is terrific....I sport a moustache, so I dont have a lip problem. But the rest is as smooth as can be.

I use the futur, progress and HD too. Love them all....also, schick injectors, gillette vintage, and edwin somebody razor too....all good razors,,,

mark tssb

tonesbarbershop.co.uk said:
The Best Razor on the market Has Got to be the Vision, what do you think !
This is the wrong question to ask - I might as well ask what is the best knife or skillet on the market. There are hundreds of factors to consider.

The truth is that either Gillette Excel or Mach3 or Fusion will give you a superb and close shave and easily beat all those fancy $100 Merkur Futurs and Visions etc., no questions about it. Why, my father is using the cheapest blue Gillette disposables and thinks they are the best things on the market. And it is absolutely true, as he is always cleanly shaved with no razor burns, irritations or blemishes ever on his face or neck.
As for me,well, I once stayed overnight in his house and had no choice but to use his Gillette disposable - the result was the irritation that prevented me from shaving for the next 4 days. So you see, while Gillette disposables give you a superb shave the problem is that they can't do that without simultaneously putting someone with a sensitive skin out of commission.
There are many people out there, like my father, who have the skin of rhinoceros and any one of the mass produced double,triple and quintuple blade razors work like a charm for them. But in my case, even the much praised Merkur Hefty DE turned out to be too aggressive for my skin causing razor burn and I had to switch to Gillette Super speed (Blue) and Gillette Fat Boy Adjustable which are much gentler than Merkurs. So, you see, there is no such thing as the best razor, it is different for different people.

Each person will give their own view based on what they have tried and what suits them most. I love my future and im very happy with that because that what works for me. But there is always something new coming out and usually companies trying to persuade people in getting the latest or sometimes they call it the best yet etc.
I have never used the vision but im sure it gives excellent shaves for many people.
If it works for you and each individual is happy with the results and what they have purchased, thats all that matters and then you can say its the best you have used.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have a bunch of razors that I consider to be very good. Each has a slightly different personality, and each warrants a position in my rotation. Sometimes I want to use a slim, light 40's SS; other times a slightly heftier Aristocrat is preferred. The same exact words come to mind regarding the Merkur 23C long handle and the 34C HD. On yet other occasions I may desire a slantbar or a fat boy. I haven't even mentioned injectors or straights, neither of which I could picture myself without. All have a place in my shaving kingdom.

As for the Futur or Vision, I find the head of my fat boy to be at the extreme upper limit of tolerable size, so I have no inclination to go any larger. I'm sure they're great razors for someone else.

Top Bottom