What's new

The best Lord blade?

Recently, I tried a bunch of blades from the Rapira factory, and one - the Platinum Lux - came out the clear winner. Now, it’s time to move onto another budget favorite: Lord blades. Like Rapira blades, these are in the $10-13 per 100 blade range, and are a favorite among budget-conscious shavers.

In this group:

Lord Super Chrome
Lord Platinum Class

Lord Super Stainless
Lord Super Stainless (classic)
Big Ben Super Stainless
Racer
Rainbow

Who’s going to be the winner, this time?

The results will appear in this thread. Stay tuned!

Lord Platinum Class is (I believe) the top of the line. These are the ones I have tried:

Lord Platinum Class
Lord Super Chrome
Lord Super Stainless (Classic)
Lord Super Stainless
Big Ben Super Stainless
ASCO Super Stainless

and also made by Lord,

CROWN Super Stainless
Shark Super Chrome
Shark Super Stainless

The only ones I didn't like are Big Ben, CROWN and ASCO (RED BOX). After trying all these I bought these in bulk

Lord Platinum Class
Lord Super Stainless
Shark Super Chrome

Last edited:
Lord has a huge line of blades.

The best:

Asco Super Stainless (orange box & Blue and red box)
Lord Platinum Class
Lord Super Stainless
Shark Super Chrome

Fair:

Shark Stainless

Poor:

Asco (red box)

As is usual for this blade showdown, I’m using the same criteria for judging.

1. I’m using an ATT OC razor with a “R” (medium) plate. Proroso shaving soap.
  2. The setup for each shave is identical each time. I lather my face, cover it with a hot cloth for three minutes, then follow it up with a two-pass shave, with touch-ups. I shave very lightly (when the blade allows me), and end the shave when there’s significant dulling of the blade and/or discomfort.

$Lod Super Chrome.jpg

LORD SUPER CHROME

At $14.95 for 100 blades, these blades are an okay value, and they don’t seem to be as widely available as some other blades.

Shave #1: While I could have done a better job shaving, the chin was a little resistant to a close shave, and mustache could have been a lot better for a first shave. One nick - my fault; obviously a sharp blade to start off with.

Shave #2: A better shave, this time. However, the mustache and chin aren’t as smooth as I’d like, and the neck is a little rough when rubbing against the grain. That nick from yesterday still drew a little blood, but I’ll probably survive.

Shave #3: With a little more soaking (prep), the shave was even smoother this time. No nicks or cuts, which is what you’d expect with a moderately used blade. Shaving ATG isn't an option with this blade, but an XTG shave is pretty smooth.

Shave #4: Maybe not as sharp as before, but very smooth. No nicks or cuts, but it takes a little more time to shave. But as long as I use lots of lather, the results are pleasing.

Shave #5: Identical to #4, except the shave is very slightly less smooth. Still, a very good shave.

Shave #6: Slightly less sharp - jaw and neck could be smoother, and the chin beard has slight stubble.

Shave #7: Same as #6.

Shave #8: Same.

Shave #9: Same. Well, here’s the thing. I’ve had identical shaves with the blade for several days now, and there doesn’t seem to be a fall-off in sharpness.

Shave #10: Same.

This is basically a very good blade, but I've obviously improved my prep, which has improved my results. In the beginning, I soaked my beard in hot water; as of this set of shaves, I've been soaking my beard in warm lather for three minutes before shaving. It’s similar to a popular B&B prep routine http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/9745-How-to-Pre-Shave-Prep It really works.

Next, I've avoided shaving ATG, especially on the mustache. Instead, my first pass is WTG, followed by XTG, and maybe touchups if needed.

Finally, I “stropped” my blade just like bosseb does; wiping the blade once smooths the blade and edge. Really, it's not so much a strop as a rub, to make sure the blade is clean.

Problem is, at this rate, it’s going to take months for my review of Lord blades to finish.

Shave #10: While the shave was very close to before, I notice a little more resistance on my beard, particularly the chin and neck..

Shave #11: A little more time and pressure was needed this time, the shave itself was still smooth - aside from the usual throat bristtlies. With my current shaving method, blades refuse to die.

Shave #12: As before, I used a little more pressure than before, but no irritation or cuts, minimal stubble on the throat. At this rate, I’m going to have to sell off my overstock of blades!

Shave #13: No change.

Shave #14: The changes in this blade have been incremental, and deciding to get a new blade is a judgment call. Certainly, the blade is still sharp, and I’m getting good shaves. But a clean, effortless shave is another thing; I have to exert extra pressure, especially on the neck, jaw, and mustache.

The Lord Super Chrome is a strong performer that relies on sharpness over smoothness. On the trouble areas - the mustache, chin, and neck - you’ll get a satisfactory DFS, even with a minimal prep. It takes maybe two shaves for the sharpness to change to an agreeable smoothness; but it’s a workmanlike blade that’s a decent deal.

1. I’m using an ATT OC razor with a “R” (medium) plate. Proroso shaving soap.
  2. The setup for each shave is identical. I soak my beard for three minutes in warm/hot water, followed by a lather and two passes (with clean-up). I shave very lightly, and end the shave when there’s significant dulling of the blade and/or discomfort.

$Lord Stainless.jpeg

LORD SUPER STAINLESS

At about $9.90 for 100 blades, these blades are about as cheap as Rapira - though you can get a substantial price break by buying in quantity (like $41 for 1000).

Shave #1: The shave is close and the blade is sharp, but no nicks or cuts. After have gone 14 shaves with the Super Chromium, this has nice balance of comfort and sharpness.

Shave #2: Again, not nicks or cuts, and the shave is smooth - albeit with extra pressure on the tough areas (neck, chin, mustache). The chin could have been smoother. Very slight nick.

Shave #3: About identical to #2, but no nick.

Shave #4: The shave is even closer than yesterday, though I did notice having to apply more pressure than before. The best shave so far on this blade.

Shave #5: Similar to #4. Very nice shave.

Shave #6: Still, a very good shave, but it’s a little more difficult to get really smooth, especially on the mustache. I have to use extra pressure with the mustache. This blade is losing its sharpness, though buffing the blade makes for an especially smooth shave.

Shave #7: Same.

Shave #8: Maybe I didn’t prep as long as before, but the shave today took notably longer, and my beard was tougher. The mustache area isn't as clean as it could be, and there's more stubble on my neck then usual. I realize that there’s still some more life in this blade. It’s just a long way from its initial performance.

The Lord Super Stainless doesn’t beat the Lord Super Chrome in longevity or performance, but it offers clean, consistent shaves for at least a week (if you use very good prep…less if you’re a fast shaver). And if you buy blades in bulk, a box of these blades will keep you happy for years.

1. I’m using an ATT OC razor with a “M” (mild) plate. Sterling shaving soap.
  2. The setup for each shave is identical. I soak my beard for three minutes in warm/hot water, followed by a lather and two passes (with clean-up). I shave very lightly, and end the shave when there’s significant dulling of the blade and/or discomfort.

LORD SUPER PLATINUM

$Lord Platinum.jpg

Shave #1: Very sharp and smooth - just what you’d expect from a quality platinum blade.

Shave #2: Still, quite sharp and smooth, though slightly less so on the mustache.

Shave #3: Slightly less sharp, especially on the neck, but it’s otherwise a smooth shave, even with light pressure.

Shave #4: Another light pressure shave, smooth and close. It's easy to shave lightly when you have a platinum plated blade.

Shave #5: A loss of sharpness is incremental, noticeable mostly while having ATG on the mustache. A little more pressure was needed, overall, on this shave. You can tell that this blade is losing its edge.

Shave #6: Shaving is still relatively smooth, but I’ve also noticed that the cheek takes a few more strokes. Also, I got two small nicks - a sign that I applied too much pressure. When I start to draw blood, that’s it for my blade.

The Lord SuperPlatinum is sharp and smooth from the start, and it stays extremely sharp for at least three or four shaves - after which there’s a gradual loss of sharpness. $13 for 100 blades is a good price. The Lord Chromium definitely lasts longer, but the Platinum is clearly sharper and smoother - until the platinum wears off.

Completely agree with Redrako's comment above: best Lord blade is the Asco Red and Blue box. I hope the three color Asco's (red, orange, red and blue) will be included in these reviews. I very much enjoyed and appreciated your take on the Rapira lines!

LORD SUPER STAINLESS (Classic)

$Lord Super Slainless classic.jpg

Shave #1: As sharp and smooth as a platinum blade, at least so far.

Shave #2: That was interesting. While the blade was still very good for shaving, it noticed a decline in overall sharpness, especially on the chin and neck. That was the first time I felt decreased sharpness on such a relatively new blade. Moreover, at the end of the day, there was more stubble than usual.

Shave #3: Very similar to shave #2.

Shave #4: About the same.

Shave #5: Clearly not as sharp as before, especially on the throat and mustache.

Shave #6: Now, it's similar to the workmanlike shaves from the Lord Chromium blade - not altogether smooth, but clean and comfortable, with no fuss. Extra pressure needed on the throat, especially.

Shave #7: This blade is still usable, but there’s a general roughness - especially around the neck - that makes shaving slower. The chin still isn’t smooth.

Lord Super Stainless (classic) is very similar to the regular Lord Stainless in longevity and performance - in my case, about seven shaves a week. The big difference is that the classic starts off sharper and smoother, then there’s a quick drop-off in shaving quality. The “classic” has a predominately green box. Price is about $14 for 100 blades.

For me the Platinum Class is about equal in sharpness and smoothness to Astra SP. Equal but different if that makes any sense. The Super Chrome are not as smooth or sharp but close to the Chrome and the Classics are rough to me.

RAINBOW SUPER STAINLESS

$Rainbow blades.jpg

Shave #1
: Not as sharp as a number of blades I’ve sampled recently from the Lord brand. With some care, I get a clean, smooth shave - with only one nick.

Shave #2: Similar to shave #1, but it takes just a bit more effort to achieve a truly smooth shave, especially on the neck and chin. The decline in sharpness is noticeable but not dramatic.

Shave #3: Frankly, it’s getting harder to get the shaving results I want; the blade just seems to be harder to use. (Maybe that’s a by-product of having used a number of sharper blades recently.) With added pressure, I can get close to the same results as with a new blade, except on the chin.

Shave #4: Two small cuts: one on the neck and lip. It’s taking more strokes to shave; the blade is much duller than before. Chin shaving is still unsatisfactory. I really can’t continue with this blade.

The Rainbow Super Stainless lacks the rapier sharpness of, say, a Lord Platinum; the Rainbow opts for a more forgiving feel. This usually means your blade won’t last as long, and the shave won’t be as close. At about $11 for 100 blades, this isn’t quite up to the Astra standard.

BIG BEN SUPER STAINLESS

$Big Ben.jpeg

Shave #1: This blade falls into the “forgiving” style you’d expect, say, from something like Lord’s Rainbow blade, though it's marginally sharper. It takes a little more care than some might want for get a ultra-close, smooth shave. One big nick.

Shave #2: Again, this is a forgiving shave that’s both pretty smooth and comfortable. Frankly, it’s not nearly as smooth as a top platinum blade like the GSB - but it's still a decent, inexpensive blade.

Shave #3: Similar shave, except that the chin is slightly rougher that before.

Shave #4: Two nicks. Nearly always happens when using extra pressure, because a blade isn’t sharp enough. I draw the line at blood, even though there’s probably one or two more decent shaves in this blade.

Big Ben Super Stainless is a decent though unspectacular blade that’s similar to the Astra - sharp but somewhat forgiving, at a low price. Your best price is around $11 for 100 blades, though it’s more typical to pay $15 for 100.

...Big Ben Super Stainless is a decent though unspectacular blade that’s similar to the Astra - sharp but somewhat forgiving, at a low price. Your best price is around $11 for 100 blades, though it’s more typical to pay $15 for 100...

I have had a tuck of these for some time and recently tried one and agree with your summation. Decent daily shaver.

$Lord Shaving (2).jpg

Was browsing a local drugstore chain killing time waiting to go elsewhere. So this on shelf. My first experience with RAD. Couldn't pass it up a US$4.39+tax. It is a three piece razor. The head and safety bar resemble a Merkur 38C. Is anyone familiar with it?

RACER SUPER STAINLESS

$RACER.jpg

Blade #1: Slightly closer and smoother than Rainbow, though the somewhat resistant mustache doesn’t bode well for having a durable blade.

Blade #2: When I shave with this blade, it makes a faint but appealing audible feedback. The shave itself is as smooth and close as before, even with most of the neck.

Blade #3: Another smooth shave.

Blade #4: Yet another smooth, close shave - a very good blade. That said, the neck requires a little more attention for a really close shave. One nick on the neck.

Blade #5: Same. With this blade, it’s important to shave lightly - and it has surprising longevity. Very similar to the Lord Super Chrome; workmanlike, but it lasts a very long time.

Blade #6: Same.

Blade #7: Slightly less smooth, even along the jaw. But still, a very good shave.

Blade #8: Incremental loss of sharpness, but still eminently usable. But there’s a difference compared to a new blade.

Blade #9: Still a good shave, but the overall sharpness doesn’t rival a new blade. As long as you shave lightly, you’ll get a good, comfortable shave - and a closer one if you use pressure.

There are only a few vendors selling this blade, none selling freshly manufactured stock. On Amazon they sell for about $22 for 100 blades, including shipping - not exactly a competitive price.. These blades come in a plain paper wrapper sans inner wrapper with a microscopic bit of wax. They’re a forgiving blade that’s similar to an Astra, albeit a bit smoother. The longevity recalls the Lord Super Chrome.

I’m using an ATT OC razor with a “R” (medium) plate. Proroso shaving soap.
The setup for each shave is identical each time. I lather my face, cover it with a hot cloth for three minutes, then follow it up with a two-pass shave, with touch-ups. I shave very lightly (when the blade allows me), and end the shave when there’s significant dulling of the blade and/or discomfort.

SHARK SUPER CHROME

$Shark Chrome.jpeg

Shave #1
: Very smooth, close shave - no cuts or nicks; superior balance of closeness and smoothness. Even shaving agains the grain on the mustache, the blade cuts easily. Maybe the best blade from the Lord factory?

Shave #2: Same great shave.

Shave #3: Another great shave. No nicks or cuts. What amazes me is that, shaving ATG, the mustache still comes out smooth. That said, I found the blade slightly less sharp than before. Very slightly.

Shave #4: A little more pressure is required, this time, and more time and care is required to achieve a close, smooth shave. The mustache still shaves well, even ATG - a result you’d expect only from more expensive blades.

Shave #5: Pretty much the same as #4.

Shave #6: While I can’t shave ATG on the mustache, the shave itself is smooth and comfortable. I used an alum block after shaving - a pretty irritation-free shave. One small nick on the throat.

Shave #7: By incremental degrees, the blade is losing its sharpness. But I still get a smooth shave, albeit the chin could be cleaner. One small nick on my neck - same place as yesterday.

Shave #8: This is clearly an outstanding blade, with sharpness and longevity in equal measure. I could easily get a few more shaves from this blade. But the difficulty of getting the chin clean means it’s ready to be dumped.

$11 for 100 blades is a very good deal; they easily outshine the ever-reliable Astra on my face. They balance sharpness and smoothness as well as anything out there, and have a surprising longevity. If I didn’t already have such a huge stockpile of blades, I’d snatch a tidy cache of Shark Super Chrome.

These blades don't impress you with their ultra-closeness like one the better platinum blades, but their longevity and value make these a must-try.

SHARK SUPER STAINLESS

$Shark Super Stainlesss.jpg

Shave #1
:
Unusually close shave - even including the trouble areas like the mustache and throat. The blade is clearly sharp, with slight razor burn on the throat after over-shaving.

Shave #2:
The blade is only slightly less sharp - one nick. The chin could be closer. Definitely lacks the smoothness you’d find in a platinum blade - which partly accounts for a couple of nicks.

Shave #3:
About the same as #2. While sharp, it doesn’t have the smoothness some might expect. Using a relatively aggressive open comb razor may be part of the problem. One or two nicks.

Shave #4:
Best shave yet with this blade. Sharp, but with a very close shave. Several very light nicks - a fact of life with this blade. Shaving the mustache is a labor, but it’s exceptionally clean.

Shave #5:
No nicks this time, and the shave was still relatively smooth. It took a little more time to clean up the chin and throat.

Shave #6:
This isn’t the most comfortable blade, overall, but it helps compensate with closeness and good longevity. A persistent tugging, particularly around the mustache, forces me to finally toss this blade. That said, there’s still a few more shaves left here.

For under $10 for 100 blades, the Shark Super Stainless is a good buy - and an even better bargain at with a volume discount. While lacking a certain smoothness, it’s very sharp and even has surprising longevity. Best suited for less aggressive razors.

The only Lord blade I've ever tried was a Big Ben (except it came in a green wrapper) and I loved it. I'm not the best at noticing nuances between different blades/razors, but the Big Ben actually stood out to me as giving me a close, comfortable shave with almost no irritation even on the final shave with it. Sort of like an Astra SP.

The only Lord blade I've ever tried was a Big Ben (except it came in a green wrapper) and I loved it. I'm not the best at noticing nuances between different blades/razors, but the Big Ben actually stood out to me as giving me a close, comfortable shave with almost no irritation even on the final shave with it. Sort of like an Astra SP.

Your post made me try a 2nd one from the tuck I have and I agree 100%. As a measure, the other day I used an Astra SP for comparison and they are oh so similar. However, since the latter is so cheap on Ebay........

Somewhere I read where Lord admitted that all their blades are the same except for the Platinum and that the names were different only for export/sales purposes.

Top Bottom