What's new

The best Lord blade?

Your post made me try a 2nd one from the tuck I have and I agree 100%. As a measure, the other day I used an Astra SP for comparison and they are oh so similar. However, since the latter is so cheap on Ebay........

Somewhere I read where Lord admitted that all their blades are the same except for the Platinum and that the names were different only for export/sales purposes.

I haven't finished reviewing all of the Lord blades, but I have to add:
1. The platinum is clearly the sharpest of the Lord blades, and the most distinctive-feeling
2. There's a strong similarity between the Lord Super Stainless, Lord Super Super Stainless classic, Racer Super Stainless, and the Shark Super Stainless - so much so that, for purposes of everyday usage, they're about equal.
3. The Lord Super Chrome blades seems to be on a different, and higher level than most Lord-brand blades. I'd like to know who said other Lord blades are the same.
4. Rainbow and Big Ben Super Stainless seem to be about equal, but not quite as good as the other Lord blades. (I haven't tried Big Ben Platinum, however.)

From a consumer's point of view, shavers might want to try out the Lord Super Chrome and Lord Platinum. So far, they stand above the crowd.

Speaking of ASCO...I've just started tests with the three remaining Lord blades - the Asco Yellow, Blue, and Red. All Super Stainless.

Now, down to business.

As is usual for this blade showdown, I’m using the same criteria for judging.

1. I’m using an ATT OC razor with a “R” (medium) plate. Proroso shaving soap.
  2. The setup for each shave is identical each time. I lather my face, cover it with a hot cloth for three minutes, then follow it up with a two-pass shave, with touch-ups. I shave very lightly (when the blade allows me), and end the shave when there’s significant dulling of the blade and/or discomfort.

CROWN SUPER STAINLESS

$Crown Super Stainless.jpg

Blade #1: Stainless blades may not be the last word in smoothness, but they’re sharp and ultra-close. No nicks, no cuts.

Blade #2: Just as close and smooth as before.

Blade #3: Very close shave…but the neck and chin are slightly rougher. And the shave itself doesn’t seem to last as long as before; I could feel slight stubble after about six hours.

Blade #4: Everything is closer and smoother - even the neck. This is turning out to be a really good blade.

Blade #5: Same great shave, but an extended alum sting suggests that the blade is digging into my skin more than before. Neck is the only place that isn’t really clean.

Blade #6: Slightly less smooth than before. The mustache offers significant resistance ATG, and the chin is noticeably rougher. That said, this still gives a perfectly acceptable shave. I could easily get additional shaves from this blade, but it’s definitely passed its prime.

These blades from the Lord factory aren’t distributed as widely as, say, Shark; as a result, the price is about $15 for 100 blades. It’s easily comparable to the Lard Super Stainless - and definitely better than Astra. Whether your razor is aggressive or mild, this shaves well and has decent longevity.

Last edited:
ASCO Orange Super Stainless

$ASCO orange.jpg

Shave #1:
A close, smooth shave not unlike the Big Ben Super Stainless. Slight resistance ATG on the mustache, but the overall results are extra-smooth.

Shave #2: Similar to shave #1, aside from slightly less sharp. Shaving the mustache ATG is still possible.

Shave #3: Incrementally less close, but it’s still close, though the mustache clearly offers more resistance ATG - albeit with slight irritation.

Shave #4: Smooth shave on the jaw, but everywhere else, the quality was lacking. Neck was a little rough, as was the chin. Irritation on the mustache, even a slight raised swelling. Two nicks: on the throat and mustache. There’s no point continuing with this blade.

While the first shave with this blade was smooth and close for at least two shaves, the blade substantially lost its sharpness after four shaves. $16 for 100 blades is a tad high for these underperforming blades.

View attachment 568545

Was browsing a local drugstore chain killing time waiting to go elsewhere. So this on shelf. My first experience with RAD. Couldn't pass it up a US$4.39+tax. It is a three piece razor. The head and safety bar resemble a Merkur 38C. Is anyone familiar with it?

Yes, I use it for a couple of years now. It is cheap and reliable but not sophisticated. I prefer to use Lord blades in it, as they seem to perform best in this razor. The Captain is my favourite Lord blade, by the way.
Thanks for your thorough review.

ASCO orange vs ASCO red.

I've been shaving with these two blades, and I'm not noticing any difference between them. Is this a repackaging for a foreign market (like Feather yellow, black, etc.)? The blades themselves look exactly alike when you take them out of the wrapper.

Any ideas? :bored:

ASCO RED Super Stainless

$ASCO red.jpg

Shave #1:
A close, smooth shave not unlike a Big Ben, Rainbow, and Asco orange (all from the Lord factory) I wouldn’t be surprised if they were repacks of the same blade. Shaves smoothly, through there was some resistance ATG on the mustache.

Shave #2: Pretty much the same, except a little more resistance on the mustache.

Shave #3: The mustache - where I typically feel the clearest evidence of blade wear - is shakable ATG. Barely. The jaw is slightly less clean than yesterday, but the neck is pretty much the same: passably clean.

Shave #4: The mustache isn’t as shavable ATG, and I got two light nicks - on the lip and chin. The shave is a little rough, but passable. But definitely not up to the quality of the first two shaves from this blade.

I can’t tell the difference between ASCO red and orange blades…or maybe ASCO Red and Orange are repacks of the same blade (?). They’re exactly the same price, have similar packaging, and the blades themselves are identical once you pull off the paper wrapping. For me, there’s a gradual decline in sharpness, until it can be tossed after shave #4. $16 for 100 blades isn’t a competitive price, especially when compared with other blades from the Lord factory, like the Super Super Platinum and Shark Super Chrome.

ASCO BLUE Super Stainless

$ASCO blue.jpg

Shave #1: Relatively smooth shave on my jaw, but satisfactory on my chin, neck and mustache. It’s possible to shave the mustache ATG - but just. The shave is very close to ASCO RED and ORANGE.

Shave #2: Another smooth shave, but I found it slightly more difficult to shave ATG on the mustache,

Shave #3: It takes a little more time to shave, but the results are still clean. I use a little more pressure and patience with my shave, and the results are considerably smoother. One tiny cut on the lip.

Shave #4: Two nicks: one on the lip, the other on the throat. The shave is slightly rougher this time - nowhere near smooth shaves #1 and 2. Slight raised irritation on the mustache. Sorry to say, the blade isn't performing anywhere near when it was new.

When I tried ASCO red and orange back to back, I didn’t notice any difference between them; however, ASCO blue used to be a Swedish blade; is it the same as the other ASCO blades? The basic story: I couldn’t tell the difference between the three ASCO blades - orange, red, and blue. The printing on all three blades is identical, and the blades cost the same: $16 for 100 blades. These blades conk out after about four shaves - not a great value.

LORD SHAVE SUMMARY

$Lord.-Razor-blade-in-water-image.jpg

Blades from the Lord factory don’t seem to have the same high profile as favorites like, say, Feather or Astra; but Lord makes millions of blade for satisfied customers every year.

That said, there are a few who feel (or say) that there’s no difference between Lord factory blades. I’m not an expert on products from Lord, but I’m willing to bet hard cash that the majority are unique blades. And that the best of the bunch are well worth sampling.

Lord blades, on balance, aren’t ultra-sharp like a Feather. They don’t last ultra-long like British-made Wilkies. For smoothness, I’ll prefer Gillette Silver Blues every time. Lord is skilled at making a good, modestly priced blade that’s extremely consistent. However, no Lord blades are as good as the best from the St. Petersburg factory.

THE BEST OF THE BUNCH
LORD SUPER PLATINUM -
This has the sharpness and smoothness you expect with a platinum blade. Three or four shaves are excellent, though there’s a notable reduction in sharpness after around five or six days. $13 for 100 blades is a pretty good value for a platinum blade. Probably the best-performing Lord blade.

BIG BEN SUPER STAINLESS -
This blade is somewhere between the Lord Super Platinum and Lord Super Chrome; audible feedback and smooth shaving makes for strong competition to an Astra. Prices vary, but $12.50 for 100 is a good price, but Big Ben prices vary considerably.

SHARK SUPER CHROME -
This has a nearly ideal balance of sharpness and comfort, and at about $15 for 100 blades, it’s a pretty good deal, though the loses much of its smoothness after a few days. And the blades just last and last.

GOOD BLADES
CROWN SUPER STAINLESS -
Maybe not the last word in smoothness, this blade compensates with good longevity and sharpness. Its exceptional closeness is a big plus. At about $15 for 100 blades, this is equal to the Lord quality.

LORD SUPER CHROME -
While it’s not ultra-smooth, the Super Chrome is a blade that lasts and lasts. My blade made it to fourteen shaves, and still had some life remaining. $14.50 for 100 blades is a decent price for a workmanlike blade that has real value.

RACER SUPER STAINLESS -
These blades are getting scarce, but they provide moderate sharpness and a longevity that’s close to the Lord Super Chrome. At $22 for 100 blades online, this isn’t a bargain, but their long life and relative sharpness makes this a quality offering. Frankly, I could easily put this blade in the “Best of the Bunch” category, if it weren’t for the price.

DECENT BLADES
SHARK SUPER STAINLESS -
At under $10 for 100 blades, this is an economical blade with so-so comfort - but a close shave. Doesn’t hold a candle to the Shark Super Chrome, but it’s a must-try if you have a mild razor. Just don’t use pressure, lest you succumb to weepers.

(These two blades are about equal in performance.)
LORD SUPER STAINLESS
-
This doesn’t have the longevity of the Lord Super Chrome or the smoothness of the Lord Platinum, but it’s a decent blade that might last a week or so. At $14 for 100 blades, it’s an average value - but consider the price break if you buy 1000.
LORD SUPER STAINLESS (classic) -
This blade has almost the same longevity of the regular Lord Super Stainless, but starts off sharper - then blunts abruptly after around a week. The price (about $14 for 100 blades) is about the same, too.

THE REST
(All four of these blades are about equal in performance.)
RAINBOW SUPER STAINLESS -
This thoroughly average blade will probably last around four or so days. At about $13 and change for 100 blades, it’s only a fair bargain.
ASCO ORANGE SUPER STAINLESS -
Very similar to the Rainbow Super Stainless; even the price is about the same. For less, you can get the Rapira Lux - and get more smoothness and superior longevity. $16 for 100 blades.
ASCO RED SUPER STAINLESS -
Pretty much the same performance and price as the ASCO Orange - which means it’s still overpriced. $16 for 100. Four shaves from a blade is my limit.
ASCO BLUE SUPER STAINLESS -
Same price and quality as the other ASCO colors. $16 for 100 blades is not a good value, especially since the blades won’t last beyond four shaves. (I haven’t tried the original ASCO blues, a Swedish import that’s no longer available.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the great thread! :thumbup: You've piqued my curiosity about a few of the lord offerings and I'm thinking of adding a few to my list when I start the hunt for my favourite blades. I've loved the care and detail you've put into your reviews. I hope you had fun!

Lord has a huge line of blades.

The best:

Asco Super Stainless (orange box & Blue and red box)
Lord Platinum Class
Lord Super Stainless
Lord Super Stainless (classic)
Shark Super Chrome

Fair:

Shark Stainless

Poor:

Asco (red box)
The red box is the same as the orange only comes in a 10 pack tuck! Are you OK!!!

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

I find the Asco Orange to be a really good blade for daily shaving. It's a keen blade without delivering irritation imho.

For me, the Lord Stainless lasts a long time but it isn't the sharpest. The Crown is sharper and lasts longer(the only blade I used for 10 days straight-3 passes each day). The Platinum Class is the sharpest but doesn't last more than 4 shaves for me. The Big Ben felt less sharp.

Top Bottom