What's new

The "best" hair clippers for home/DIY use? Andis vs. Wahl vs Oster

You can get different length blades or get a 00000 blade with guards.

OsterBlade Size / Hair Length in Inches
00000 – 1/125″
0000 – 1/100
000 – 1/50″
0A – 3/64″

1 – 3/32″
1A – 1/8″
1.5 – 5/32″
2 – 1/4″
3.5 – 3/8″
3.75 – 1/2″

@skypsyd

So if I got the 000000 blade and then put a #1 guard on it, how close would that get me?

1/125"(blade) + 1/8" (Guard)= .133" (hair length)

proxy.php

@skypsyd

Sweet...and they have a 0 too...maybe I will go that route instead of pure skin...would prefer to have the guard simply so I don't cut myself haha
Thanks!

Sweet...and they have a 0 too...maybe I will go that route instead of pure skin...would prefer to have the guard simply so I don't cut myself haha
Thanks!

Nothing wrong with guards but remember that the cutting blade is not on the skin with the thicker blades. Here is a picture to help visualize.

proxy.php

I use a similar setup for my dog and it leaves about an 5/8 of hair and haven't cut him. It is the guard is built into the blade.

Love this thing! I've been using mine for months and havent had to charge it yet. Granted all I do is mustache/goatee trimming but with all the attachments it's quite a value.

wahl lithium ion in stainless steel - find its sturdier than the plastic model.

Hello, I bought an Oster 76 hair clipper 120 volts 60Hz and I am in Japan which is 100/60. I have heard that if there is a frequency difference there will be some problems. But what I have is a voltage difference and I can't not find any discussion about that online. I contact Oster and they clearly told me that I am not supposed to use the clipper under 100 volts, neither use electric adapter. However, I already pay and because of that my worst scenario is not to use it. I read that the main issue with the adapters are the watts and frequency. Given that I don't have that problem of frequency I wonder.

Will the Oster 76 work well (not ideally as the manufacturer told me) under 100 volts? If not,
given that i don't have problem of frequency, Can I buy just an adapter (inputting 100 volts and outputting 120 volts) with the proper watts specification?

Thanks in advance

Hello, I bought an Oster 76 hair clipper 120 volts 60Hz and I am in Japan which is 100/60. I have heard that if there is a frequency difference there will be some problems. But what I have is a voltage difference and I can't not find any discussion about that online. I contact Oster and they clearly told me that I am not supposed to use the clipper under 100 volts, neither use electric adapter. However, I already pay and because of that my worst scenario is not to use it. I read that the main issue with the adapters are the watts and frequency. Given that I don't have that problem of frequency I wonder.

Will the Oster 76 work well (not ideally as the manufacturer told me) under 100 volts? If not,
given that i don't have problem of frequency, Can I buy just an adapter (inputting 100 volts and outputting 120 volts) with the proper watts specification?

Thanks in advance
They probably down't want you to use a cheapo travel power adapter. Since the frequency is correct, I think you can use a good quality 100 to 120V step-up transformer with adequate power capacity. I'd suggest at least 500w so you don't get voltage sag.

https://www.amazon.com/VCT-VT-1000J-Japanese-Transformer-Converts/dp/B000PC4SVU

Last edited:
I'm planning to get a 76 to cut start cutting my own hair. What's left of it that is. Just not sure which blades to get. I think the barber uses a #1 blade. I'm thinking I may want to go shorter.

I'm planning to get a 76 to cut start cutting my own hair. What's left of it that is. Just not sure which blades to get. I think the barber uses a #1 blade. I'm thinking I may want to go shorter.
Shorter than a #1 guard? Isn't that just called shaving your head?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
How about Moser clippers? I have two different models - 1661 and 1588.

Last edited:
With Covid-19 and the barber shops closed I finally took the plunge with learning to cut my own hair, and am very glad I did! I got the Wahl Five Star cordless, cuts my hair like butter, even and smooth. There are plenty of Youtube tutorials for both hair cutting technique and maintenance of the clippers. My only regret is that I didn`t start this 20, 30 years ago.

PS Now is not a good time to buy clippers due to the quarantines. Ebay prices on new units are often much higher than what they were a month ago, even double or triple the amount. If you shop now I recommend that you do so diligently.

I noticed the high prices too. Try buying a pulse oximeter! I've been cutting my hair for about 16 months now. I've got it down pretty well. I use the Oster 76 to buzz my head with a #1 blade and then use a Wahl consumer clipper for the sides. The back is the only difficult part for me. I do it in the shower with the curtain closed to contain the mess and then rinse it down the drain. Takes me about ten minutes to do, and a half hour to thoroughly clean and lube the the clippers. I'm fussy about clean up.

I've been trimming my own hair for 13 years now, and have used a number of types of clippers. A few years ago, I stepped up to an Oster Classic 76, and won't consider another type. Oster makes a couple others in the same league (e.g., Model 10), but they're the same type. The best clipper, imo, is one that has a rotary motor and is fitted with interchangeable metal blades. Magnetic and pivot motor clippers, and/or ones that use an adjustable blade or plastic combs, just aren't in the same league.

That's for head trimming/clipping. For other uses (beard, body grooming, etc.), other trimmer types work fine. I still use my Andis Master (pivot motor, adjustable blade, with plastic combs) for body grooming, and it does a fine job. It can't touch the Oster 76 for accuracy or efficiency on my head, though.

For more information on motor types, see here.
I absolutely love Oster Classic 76

I use Oster Fast feeds. Just replaced the blades after almost 20 years. Clippers have paid for themselves at least 20 times over so far. I got new Oster metal blades then decided to try the Andis ceramic "upgrade"(total cost for both blades was under 30 dollars). So I still have a new metal cutting blade in reserve. The new adjustable metal guard piece and the new ceramic blade together made a huge difference....clippers hum, are quiet and cut better than when they were new out of the box. Don't know about longevity yet but I'm really happy with the Fastfeeds and the recent blade replacement.

The Andis Ceramic blade for the Oster Fastfeed is Andis CeramicEdge Coarse Cutter #64440 as people talk about the upgrade on youtube but no seems to give the exact part number and then they do a link to a ceramic blade that sells for 3 times as much as the Andis blade actually costs e-tail.

When replacing the blades make sure to use blade wash or similar to remove the preservative from the new blades out of packaging then lubing the blades with proper oil.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I use Oster Fast feeds. Just replaced the blades after almost 20 years. Clippers have paid for themselves at least 20 times over so far. I got new Oster metal blades then decided to try the Andis ceramic "upgrade"(total cost for both blades was under 30 dollars). So I still have a new metal cutting blade in reserve. The new adjustable metal guard piece and the new ceramic blade together made a huge difference....clippers hum, are quiet and cut better than when they were new out of the box. Don't know about longevity yet but I'm really happy with the Fastfeeds and the recent blade replacement.

The Andis Ceramic blade for the Oster Fastfeed is Andis CeramicEdge Coarse Cutter #64440 as people talk about the upgrade on youtube but no seems to give the exact part number and then they do a link to a ceramic blade that sells for 3 times as much as the Andis blade actually costs e-tail.

When replacing the blades make sure to use blade wash or similar to remove the preservative from the new blades out of packaging then lubing the blades with proper oil.
Those will outlive you if you treat them right. I used the fast feed Oster's professionally for at least 25 years, and never had them sharpened or replaced! Cleanliness is next to Godliness when it comes to just about anything that is supposed to stay sharp my friend!

That is why I only bathe "onct a month"!

I don't want to be so sharp my lovely wife caint keep her hands off me!

Top Bottom