What's new

The Best Cheddar I Have Ever Tasted

I am not sure which of the many Cabot varieties this specific one was, but $27 sounds like an awful lot for any Cabot--not that they are not worth that, but that you should not have to pay that.

I think Cabot just one a blind tasting of good cheddars they did on America's Test Kitchen's new TV show, Cook's Country. It won both among the folks that work on the show and magazine and among a decent size "studio audience." It beat out a longer aged Grafton, as I recall, another Vermont cheese.

My wife is from Vermont and we are up there fairly often. Vermont really is cheese heaven, as I assume Wisconsin is.

Cabot is an excellent, albeit it commercial, product. It is the real thing when it comes to an American cheddar, even though they turn our a huge amount of it these days. Its popularity and universal appeal is well-deserved. But there are other, smaller cheesemakers in Vermont these days making world class cheeses of lots of different types. Virtually all are worth trying.

Hello. As I understand it, Cabot provides the curd and collaborates with a smaller cheese maker who wraps it in cloth for the cheddaring. There is a bit of an explanation of it on the Cabot site. It really is good stuff.

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom