the best cartridge ever: Your favorite cartridge

Which cartridge is your favorite?

• Gillette Mach 3

• Gillette Fusion 5

• Gillette Fusion 5 Proglide

• Gillette Fusion 5 Proglide Power

• Gillette Sensor 3

• Gillette Trac II / G II

• Gillette Atra/ Gillette Contour / Gillette Vector (in asian market)

• Gillette Blue II plus (disposable) \ gillette Sensor 2 plus (disposable)

• Gillette Mach 3 Turbo

• Gillette Sensor EXCEL

Results are only viewable after voting.
If I could pick a cartridge not represented in the poll options, I'd choose the Bic Flex 5. I love the Trac II and Sensor razors, but the Flex 5 is really darn good.

Personna Pivot Plus for me - twin blade, fits Gillette Trac II and Contour/Atra. Feather twin blade ok too. I'm not generally one for more than 2 blades, having started shaving in the late 70s.

I liked the Sensor, but I feel Gillette peaked with cartridges with the Mach 3.

That disaster called the Fusion is what made me seek something different which is how I found B&B 10 years ago, Merkur 34C in hand.

I was travelling on vacation and tried the Gillette Skinguard with high hopes since it has only two blades and pivots. It must be the blue thing in the middle but for the life of me I could not get the thing to shave my neck. On the cheeks and the chin it did fine but going over the neck again and again I could still feel a considerable amount of stubble. Had to go back to my Trac II clone for travel and keep with the Yates 921 for when I am at home.

Reactions: edw
Why the hang-up on Gillette? Although I still rotate one in every once in a while, I got tired of their excessive pricing. My current favorite, not on the list, is a Dorco 7.

I didn't see an option for Harry's, but I do like the proglide mach5. Gave me a close shave (not as close as DE) but the cost of those catridges added up quickly.

I've been trying and happy with the performance of the Gillette Sensor 2 disposable. I also love the Gillette Guard from India.

Really enjoying Skinguard, get DFS day after day with no irritation. Currently on shave no*5. Use it on max 2 day beard and it does its job.

I use a Trac II a couple of times a week on my face. My wife gave me a wooden Omega Trac II set a few years ago that came with a great metal stand, wooden Omega brush and a wooden handle razor that takes the carts. I get close and comfortable shaves with it but rarely go against the grain- just two passes WTG and then clean up a couple of spots. I'll get irritation big time going ATG with any cart after a couple days straight.

I also shave my head every other day and have rotated between DE and different carts over the last 15 years. The Atra worked well for a long time. The Fusion does too, lasts longer than the Trac II carts and I was gifted about 12 carts, so that's where I'm at now. I easily get 25 shaves from a cart (not much hair left up there so no real wear and tear on the carts). I tried the SkinGuard thing (whatever it's called) once- decent shave but left too much stubble for me. That one cart I borrowed went into the travel bag for the two times a year I'll shave my head on vacation.

You should add the Gillette Guard to the list, that’s the nicest cart I’ve ever used.
I don’t use cart’s much an. But then I discovered this great single blade. I use it when traveling and for mid week hassle free low prep shaves. There’s a reason most of us went to single blade DE, injector ac etc. same logic goes for carts.

I don’t use cart’s much an. But then I discovered this great single blade. I use it when traveling and for mid week hassle free low prep shaves. There’s a reason most of us went to single blade DE, injector ac etc. same logic goes for carts.

For full disclosure I have since found a new favorite cart: the Bic Twin Select. The Guard is still a fine razor but I much prefer the higher efficiency, narrower head, lack of pivoting head, and smaller handle of the Bic!

I think I jumped on the Trac II bandwagon back in the day but went back to DE shaving at some point. Other than free samples, I haven't done a full shave with any of the cart razors in longer than I can remember. I do keep twin blade disposables around as they are very useful to catch stray whiskers. I probably go through one every 2-3 months. They're whatever off-brand the local grocery sells, like $2 for 10.

Since my last post I've had a chance to compare the Sensor and the Trac II, resulting in a vote change. I have to say the Trac II is slightly better than the Sensor, so I went with the Trac II. Fifty years on, it's still the cartridge to beat.

I find the Gillette Trac II/GII to be head and shoulders above all the other cart systems. Tried everything up to Fusion. Runners up include Gillette Guard, Sensor and Atra. If find the Gillette brand blades made in Poland (distributed in Europe and North America) are the best quality but expensive (seemed to have increased in price recently). I much prefer the ones without the Lubestrip, though they're hard to find.

Historically speaking the best cartridge ever Is the Wilkinson Sword Bonded from 1970. Legend says the blade was made under the same specs of the "New Super Sword Edge" DE Blade AKA the "Light Brigade". There's plenty NOS Bonded on the auction site, do yourself a favor and try one.

Out of modern cartridges my favorite overall is the Fusion Proglide made in Poland. I like also the Mach 3 Turbo and Wilkinson Sword/Schick Quattro Titanium.

Top Bottom