the best cartridge ever: Your favorite cartridge

Which cartridge is your favorite?

• Gillette Mach 3

• Gillette Fusion 5

• Gillette Fusion 5 Proglide

• Gillette Fusion 5 Proglide Power

• Gillette Sensor 3

• Gillette Trac II / G II

• Gillette Atra/ Gillette Contour / Gillette Vector (in asian market)

• Gillette Blue II plus (disposable) \ gillette Sensor 2 plus (disposable)

• Gillette Mach 3 Turbo

• Gillette Sensor EXCEL

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why are you hung up on Gillette?

My two favorites are Dorco 3 and Dorco 7. I most often use the 7 with their power handle.

Far more affordable than Gillette and as good as or better than Gillette.

Also what's wrong with Schick? My two favorite Schicks are the Quattro and the Hydro Five Power.

Just to remind myself of what I'm not missing I sometimes use a Gillette Fusion Power. I would use it more often if the blades lasted more than three shaves and didn't cost so much.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Why are you hung up on Gillette?

My two favorites are Dorco 3 and Dorco 7. I most often use the 7 with their power handle.

Far more affordable than Gillette and as good as or better than Gillette.

Also what's wrong with Schick? My two favorite Schicks are the Quattro and the Hydro Five Power.

Just to remind myself of what I'm not missing I sometimes use a Gillette Fusion Power. I would use it more often if the blades lasted more than three shaves and didn't cost so much.
I'd never heard of the Dorco Pace until I showed up here, oddly enough. I tried Schick when I was a much younger man and didn't have a good experience. I'm sure they are better now.

The Gillette Sensor (not the Sensor Excel !). Smooth shaves, foolproof and last 20 to 40 shaves using the arm stropping technique (strop 20 times on forearm against the shaving direction).

I voted for the Mach 3 but I like my Harry's cartridge razor a little more.

Don't use either very much, nowadays, though. More into the DE razors.

TracII is my favorite followed by the (GASP) Techmatic with an adjustable cartridge. I have an original sensor as well, but it shaves no better than the TracII and with a bit more irritation.

Wilkinson Sword/Schick Protector 3. No cuts or nicks, shallow safety bar for shaving those, difficult to get at, whiskers, such as under the nose -too many cartridge razors have very deep safety bars which yield an overall inefficient shave. Blades last about 30 shaves.

The Gillette Sensor (not the Sensor Excel !). Smooth shaves, foolproof and last 20 to 40 shaves using the arm stropping technique (strop 20 times on forearm against the shaving direction).
In terms of shaving quality what differences do you feel between sensor and excel sensor?
What shaves closer?
The regular sensor more aggressive than the exel ?

In terms of shaving quality what differences do you feel between sensor and excel sensor?
What shaves closer?
The regular sensor more aggressive than the exel ?
For me the Sensor lasts a lot longer. The Excel is a tiny bit sharper though, but it doesnt stay this sharp for me.

Gillette Blue II. Simply best bang for buck.
Was very disappointed in Mach III, I find it cuts less well than Blue II disposable. And Mach III is nearly as expensive as fusion (people say to use to cartridge longer...I find if you don't replace it weekly, it's vastly inferior to a disposable 2 blades).
And Fusion proglide or power is the GOAT but the price doesn't justify it.
I have never seen trac II in stores.

I also found any other brand than Gillette to be inferior in cutting power. Hate to say this because I hate to give money to a quasi monopoly but it is what it is.

The Gillette cartridges just do not "cut" it for me. I have a very coarse, tough beard and the blades in the Gillette cartridges are not quite sharp enough for my beard, so I get tugging and subsequent skin irritation. For me, the BIC Flex 5 and Schick Hydro 5 razors give me better results. However, I get far better shaves with well honed and stropped straight razors and safety razors with very sharp blades. My favorite blades for those razors are typically brands other than Gillette. However, Gillette Nacets and 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black) are among my favorites due to their sharpness.

I agree that Schick's cartridges are better than Gillette's.

But one of the things I don't like about multi-blade cartridges is that it is nearly impossible to rinse them sufficiently: You still end up with a lot of buildup that remains between the blades. (This, along with high cart prices, is one of the catalysts that drove me to a DE razor in the first place.)

One of my favorite things about DE shaving is no more clogging (or if there is, it's easy to clear up).

Can’t say I had favorite cart but one that was best for cost/value was Wilkinson Sword Bulldog Bamboo razor with sensitive blades. Still expensive compared to de and still cloggs like every other 5 blade.

Choosing from the options on the list, it's a toss-up between the Sensor Excel and the Trac II. If I still had a handle for the Sensor Excel, I'd still be using it. I have a couple of Trac II handles, so I use that cartridge more often than not these days.

Top Bottom