What's new

The best bargain balms

So,

I’ve been slowly adding products to my shaving cache for a while now… I suppose this is the affliction of many novices who are highly curious/experimental (perhaps with some extra emphasis on 'mental'). Most of my purchases have been creams, and most of these relatively inexpensive ones (C&E, Body Shop, Proraso, and 5 varieties of KMF creams)… and I’ve noticed something; these inexpensive creams, while not quite as good as my T&H creams, are certainly very strong competition for their much more expensive cousins. Now, this has me wondering; are there other bargains to be had out there? Specifically are the bargain-priced balms that perform to the high standards expected/required by the shavegeeks here at B&B?

I have balms by T&H (a sample of their ‘ultimate comfort’), several Body Shop ones (though, I don’t recall which ones specifically) and the Proraso balm… Honestly, I find the Proraso to be the best of these, but would like to try others, especially if there are bargain-priced ones that won’t break the bank. So gentlemen, sift through your collective and individual wisdom and make your nominations for the BEST BARGAIN BALMS according to B&B’ers.

I use Nivea for Men Sensitive Aftershave Balm. It's about $5.99 for 3.7 fl.oz if I recall. It's great stuff! It's a 'milky' kind of balm, quite runny but it does an amazing job soothing after a shave. No menthol or mint so you don't get a cooling sensation but it does have Vit.E in it I think.

Highly recommended....well by me anyhow!:biggrin:

*EDIT* I just thought of another one I'm using: J/A/S/O/N Witch Vera. It's a combination of witch hazel and Aloe Vera (no, really!) in a gel base. It goes on well with a slightly wet face and this does feel nice and cooling but in a soothing kind of way rather than a minty kind of way. It's about $5 a tube.

I know there's a few others on here that swear by the Aloe 80 gel from health food stores, it's cheap and you really can't do wrong with Aloe when you're looking for basic, soothing skin care.

By all means check out the L'Occitane CADE asb! While not cheap, it is not a bank breaker either. Also Ahava asb is fantastic too! The C&M balms are good and very reasonable. Love the C&E balms, a bit more expensive than the C&M, but excellent.

I suppose that it wouldn't hurt to make a general point of clarification here... the "bargain" part of "best bargain balm" is not the most important ... in my opinion, is the "best" part is the most important part... if it doesn't work well, then at any price it is too expensive. I guess I'm just looking to find some good balm(s) without having to pay $30-40 (or more... and then there is shipping to Canada, good God!).

Andy,

I've tried the Nivea stuff and it isn't bad, though I don't think that it can compete with the Proraso... but definitely one to keep in mind for the bargain-priced balm. I've also tried the J/A/S/O/N Witch Vera and, well, let’s just say that I am not a fan. I found it to be too heavy and sticky (actually, I dislike the bodyshop A/S gel I have for that same reason - perhaps I have a problem with gels).

Ron,

I feel a little stupid here, but what is C&M? For some reason nothing is coming to mind when I see those letters...

Any other ideas/suggestions/nominations for the "best barrgain balm" title?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
In my upcoming treatise Wetshaving for the Impecunious, I make mention of Corn Husker's Lotion and Thayer's lovely witch hazels as good basic preparations.

Target gets 7-8 bucks for a jar of Proraso pre/post that should last a year. When you figure out how to apply it, it works great.

As you've already stated, a thing can be expensive and remain a bargain, just as an item can be cheap and garbage. Those little bottles of Trumper's skin food, at around $24, look expensive, but at 2-3 drops per application seem to last forever. I've heard the same about CAR's a/s creams, though I lack first hand experience.

For my money, I love Musgo Real's not so inexpensive splash and balsam- they're as good as they get. Proraso makes a good knock off for a little over half the price.

NMMB said:
I suppose that it wouldn't hurt to make a general point of clarification here... the "bargain" part of "best bargain balm" is not the most important ... in my opinion, is the "best" part is the most important part... if it doesn't work well, then at any price it is too expensive. I guess I'm just looking to find some good balm(s) without having to pay $30-40 (or more... and then there is shipping to Canada, good God!).

Andy,

I've tried the Nivea stuff and it isn't bad, though I don't think that it can compete with the Proraso... but definitely one to keep in mind for the bargain-priced balm. I've also tried the J/A/S/O/N Witch Vera and, well, let’s just say that I am not a fan. I found it to be too heavy and sticky (actually, I dislike the bodyshop A/S gel I have for that same reason - perhaps I have a problem with gels).

Ron,

I feel a little stupid here, but what is C&M? For some reason nothing is coming to mind when I see those letters...

Any other ideas/suggestions/nominations for the "best barrgain balm" title?
Caswell Massey, sorry about that.

NMMB said:
Andy,

Have you tried the Witch Vera the same way as the Proraso cream, i.e. cut it with some water or hydrosol. I find it goes on a lot easier and 'thinner' avoiding the sticky feel. Just my little suggestion.

I'm looking to try the Proraso 'milky' balm sometime soon as I hear generally good things.

Good luck in your quest!

ouch

Scotto said:
Hard to beat the Baxters balm for $14/4 oz. Awesome product.

Pasteur's on 34th (my current candy shop) has been out of this a/s for over a month. I know this because I go there once a week to buy it. I get so disappointed that I have to console myself by buying another product or three.

Better check again, just in case.:001_rolle

ouch said:
Pasteur's on 34th (my current candy shop) has been out of this a/s for over a month. I know this because I go there once a week to buy it. I get so disappointed that I have to console myself by buying another product or three.

Better check again, just in case.:001_rolle
Check Lexington Ave.

ouch

Of course I can get it on line, but then I don't get to add on any last minute impulse purchases. When I get my mail order package, I know exactly what's inside. When I go to a B&M, I never know what I'm coming home with. That's so much more fun.

Hey, look- D. R. Harris shave sticks...........:tongue_sm

ouch said:
Of course I can get it on line, but then I don't get to add on any last minute impulse purchases. When I get my mail order package, I know exactly what's inside. When I go to a B&M, I never know what I'm coming home with. That's so much more fun.

Hey, look- D. R. Harris shave sticks...........:tongue_sm

Ouch,

With ME you never know EXACTLY what's inside, since they always drop a few samples and treats in the box... and they have lots of product to choose from so you could get pseudo-impulse items by deciding what you NEED before you go to the site, but adding a few WANTS after you get there... No, it isn't quite the same as those kick-*** finds at a local store, but still, it is a great place to shop and the service is great (at least such is my opinion, based on my experience).

Regarding my quest for the holy grail of balms-that-don't-break-the-bank, well, I guess that I'll keep searching. I was at C&E last night and picked up some Sienna cream; I think that the next time that I'm there I'll pick up some balm and see if THAT is what I'm looking for... and if not, I've always got my Proraso A/S's (pre-post cream, "milky" balm and splash).

Any other suggestions from any other brilliant minds?

S

Sam

Well, I used Baxters and it was the best as far as what I call the new wave of products (Baxters, Clinique, Anthony Logistics). Love the shampoo and conditioner. Yet I am old school on my face care now

I use Floris Rose Geranium soap as it lathers great and is not slicky when dry. I really love the Molton Brown milk and oatmeal soap bars for the face. I used to use Anthony Logistics glycolic cleanser, but really, it did nothing that regular face soap does not do, but it smelt like bubble gum

I use Thayers Witch Hazel, with rose in one and lemon in another bottle.

Balms, Natureade80 aloe gel really helps calm any irritation. I know because I got a sunburn one year on my shoulders and used it there. It took the sting out almost immediately. Next morning, super. Here is my thought, the Thayers has antiseptic properties in witch hazel and the moisture a bit. Cleans off the face from any shave cream or soap residue and givea a little antiseptic protection. While wet, i apply the natureade. ALoe heals and soothes.

Price is about $12 for a 16 oz bottle. I am going on over 18 months with one bottle and about 2/3rds gone. I dont need a lot of moisture since i am not dry on my face. I am normal to slightly oily.

I follow up with coral skin food 30 minutes later to seal.

Sam

So,

Scotto (et al) convinced me to try the Baxters A/S Balm. Went to the Men Essentials store today (just a short drive from my home) and picked some up (along with some other goodies - see 'The Score' for details). The stuff has a nice scent and feels great; I didn't need a second shave today, but I couldn't resist trying just a little to get a feel for it. I am really looking forward to trying this out in the morning.

Considering the great reviews that Baxters gets here, I don't expect to be let down.

Top Bottom