What's new

The Beard Thread - All Things Beards

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Anyone in for growing a 2022 Yeard?

I technically already have a beard, but I didn't actually know anything about beards until recently. I've spent a week or so watching all the videos, reading reviews, lurking around here yet again after quite a hiatus...

Lots of changes for me, and I've only ever grown one 6 month beard, and a couple winter 'not shaving' beards.

I started my wet shaving journey here 6 years ago, and am a total convert. I love my straight razors, and my mom even got my a SV manchurian brush in silver pewter and cocobolo. So I'm certainly not giving up wet shaving. I've gotten far enough that I can shave my head with a DE. I can do my 'pate' with a straight, but haven't yet had the courage to do the back of my own head with one.

And now it's time for a proper beard.

I ordered a boar brush, comb, an oil, balm, wash and scissors.

I have an Oster Fast Feed that I purchased 15 years ago that I love and recommend!! (Although I'm waiting for an Oster Classic 76 cordless to come out).

My partner is on board with letting me try. Which is good. Although we have an agreement that by the end of March, if she can't stand it, then I'll bring it back down or go to my traditional summer goatee!

I'm out of the military now, so I'm free to grow whatever I want. (Although, the CAF have recently changed their dress regs pretty significantly to allow more freedom of hairstyles etc) Just before I left we were allowed to grow 'the standard' military beard after what was fondly called the BEARDFORGEN. But since the regs have relaxed even more. (There's an operational caveat of course, but garrison dress has changed).

Up until now, I've mostly just been clipping it back with a #2 guard regularly to keep it uniform. No real thoughts on neck line or cheek line etc.

I'm excited.
I've got a great headstart on a beard (goatee) and mustache, and ALMOST decided to go the full beard thing twice so far..... That's probably as far as I'll go, but hopefully I won't shave it off this summer. I've actually gotten compliments! Maybe I'm not as incredibly handsome faced as I thought I was!

I've got a great headstart on a beard (goatee) and mustache, and ALMOST decided to go the full beard thing twice so far..... That's probably as far as I'll go, but hopefully I won't shave it off this summer. I've actually gotten compliments! Maybe I'm not as incredibly handsome faced as I thought I was!
What's ultimately stopping you?
Just curious.

Chalk the facial hair up as an enhancement vice a mask and we can still believe we're handsome faced!

FarmerTan

I'm committed to the handlebar mustache, 1/2 committed to the goatee.....

The last time I tried a full beard I have photographic evidence of what I looked like, and it was.....bad. It's also the pic my wife and I had done for our marriage announcement. I looked like a bad Abe Lincoln impersonator, while she looked incredibly lovely. Looking at that picture you will know that she is not shallow. I was a good person just long enough to fool her into marriage!

I guess I just look so yukky in that shot that I have a mental block in growing another!

I just shaved off the goatee again. We'll see how long that lasts. The mustache is making up for it, though. Mostly covers my lower lip. Makes eating soup an adventure.

I'm committed to the handlebar mustache, 1/2 committed to the goatee.....

The last time I tried a full beard I have photographic evidence of what I looked like, and it was.....bad. It's also the pic my wife and I had done for our marriage announcement. I looked like a bad Abe Lincoln impersonator, while she looked incredibly lovely. Looking at that picture you will know that she is not shallow. I was a good person just long enough to fool her into marriage!

I guess I just look so yukky in that shot that I have a mental block in growing another!
LOL and fair enough for sure. I've got permission, so I'm good there.

If you need an incentive to try once last time, I'll be your 2022 beard support buddy if you want.

I just shaved off the goatee again. We'll see how long that lasts. The mustache is making up for it, though. Mostly covers my lower lip. Makes eating soup an adventure.

Fun times. I prefer a goatee personally, and wore a mustache for over a decade. But I wanna see if I can grow a fuller beard this year.

I've always kept my lips more trimmed before, so I haven't yet had the soup issue. This will be a journey, lol.

Currently using Duke Cannon beard wash, Honest Amish beard oil, and Creemo beard balm. Love my beard brush, will soon be getting a wooden comb.

Attachments

• Beard Products.jpg
    Beard Products.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Beard Brush.jpg
    Beard Brush.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 13
Anyone in for growing a 2022 Yeard?

I technically already have a beard, but I didn't actually know anything about beards until recently. I've spent a week or so watching all the videos, reading reviews, lurking around here yet again after quite a hiatus...

Lots of changes for me, and I've only ever grown one 6 month beard, and a couple winter 'not shaving' beards.

I started my wet shaving journey here 6 years ago, and am a total convert. I love my straight razors, and my mom even got my a SV manchurian brush in silver pewter and cocobolo. So I'm certainly not giving up wet shaving. I've gotten far enough that I can shave my head with a DE. I can do my 'pate' with a straight, but haven't yet had the courage to do the back of my own head with one.

And now it's time for a proper beard.

I ordered a boar brush, comb, an oil, balm, wash and scissors.

I have an Oster Fast Feed that I purchased 15 years ago that I love and recommend!! (Although I'm waiting for an Oster Classic 76 cordless to come out).

My partner is on board with letting me try. Which is good. Although we have an agreement that by the end of March, if she can't stand it, then I'll bring it back down or go to my traditional summer goatee!

I'm out of the military now, so I'm free to grow whatever I want. (Although, the CAF have recently changed their dress regs pretty significantly to allow more freedom of hairstyles etc) Just before I left we were allowed to grow 'the standard' military beard after what was fondly called the BEARDFORGEN. But since the regs have relaxed even more. (There's an operational caveat of course, but garrison dress has changed).

Up until now, I've mostly just been clipping it back with a #2 guard regularly to keep it uniform. No real thoughts on neck line or cheek line etc.

I'm excited.
you sound like youre on the right tracks, all the best with it

check out some youtubers within the bearded community, got some good info

for you and anyone in the states check out this pet comb lol

i've got chicago combs and theyre amazing, i wouldve snapped this up if it was available in the uk but cant find it on amazon uk

you sound like youre on the right tracks, all the best with it

check out some youtubers within the bearded community, got some good info

for you and anyone in the states check out this pet comb lol

i've got chicago combs and theyre amazing, i wouldve snapped this up if it was available in the uk but cant find it on amazon uk

The combs and brush I ordered are almost here! I'll have to check out the ones I got when they get here. I'm super excited to start playing with beard stuff. Another week or so.

Amazon hates shipping here. We don't qualify for Prime and the shipping usually doubles the cost to remote regions.

The combs and brush I ordered are almost here! I'll have to check out the ones I got when they get here. I'm super excited to start playing with beard stuff. Another week or so.

Amazon hates shipping here. We don't qualify for Prime and the shipping usually doubles the cost to remote regions.
I get beard oils and got my brush and comb from Walmart.com Dont know if the shipping would be good for you though.

I get beard oils and got my brush and comb from Walmart.com Dont know if the shipping would be good for you though.
Walmart.ca for here. It's not terrible shipping, but Walmart Canada doesn't have the same selection. I tend to get a lot of my stuff from Fendrihan.

Ebay is a better option for here, they don't kill us on shipping. DHGate, Best Buy, Ali Express are all decent contenders.

I've got enough beard stuff now for my Yeard. Lol, I'm about 6 months in at this point. I've got 2 brushes, 3 combs, a conditioner a few oils, a couple balms, scissors, clippers and a beard soap.
So... I may have to be on restraint until New Year's now.

Since I stopped shaving im wondering about shave soap as a beard wash. Anyone tried it? I dont want to be the first. :)

Never heard of the practice myself honestly.

Just my two cents, shaving soaps are designed to lubricate a razor against your skin, I'm not sure how much thought goes into taking care of hair that is getting removed.
So I think that while it'd make your beard clean and smell good, it probably doesn't have much in the lines of conditioners or things like that.

Never heard of the practice myself honestly.

Just my two cents, shaving soaps are designed to lubricate a razor against your skin, I'm not sure how much thought goes into taking care of hair that is getting removed.
So I think that while it'd make your beard clean and smell good, it probably doesn't have much in the lines of conditioners or things like that.
I use Dr Squash soaps as beard wash. Its not promoted as beard soap but has all natural ingredients and works well for my beard.

I've stopped shaving altogether since November of last year so over 9 months now, and its been great actually never have I had a beard for say more than 2 to 3 months at a time but I have been trimming it every month or so its about medium to long across the board but long at the goatee chin area and I have embraced some whites in my beard albeit being only 30.

for products been mostly using what I can find at walmart or target honest amish beard oil, kentucky bourbon beard balm, PAA cube soap for beard wash and everyman jack beard butter.

I'm enjoying this journey I have some Luxurious Bastard oil,balm,butter, and co wash on the way I've heard and read loads of people out there praising this stuff I will update on how they perform.

FarmerTan

I've stopped shaving altogether since November of last year so over 9 months now, and its been great actually never have I had a beard for say more than 2 to 3 months at a time but I have been trimming it every month or so its about medium to long across the board but long at the goatee chin area and I have embraced some whites in my beard albeit being only 30.

for products been mostly using what I can find at walmart or target honest amish beard oil, kentucky bourbon beard balm, PAA cube soap for beard wash and everyman jack beard butter.

I'm enjoying this journey I have some Luxurious Bastard oil,balm,butter, and co wash on the way I've heard and read loads of people out there praising this stuff I will update on how they perform.
Please do!

I have missed you my friend. I too may start a beard in November, maybe October....no need to be close shaved for a mask like I did for most of the RN life anymore.... And I enjoyed my handle bar mustache until early April this year. It was ALWAYS a conversation starter, whether good or bad.

yea man good to be back I missed it round these parts, figured I would search the 'Ol badgers treasure troves and see if I could find some nuggets of beard knowledge and step up my beard game I was originally gonna get some oils and balms from PAA but decided to try something different or rather something luxurious
hipster beard GIF

a bit pricey but hopefully its worth it
Please do!

I have missed you my friend. I too may start a beard in November, maybe October....no need to be close shaved for a mask like I did for most of the RN life anymore.... And I enjoyed my handle bar mustache until early April this year. It was ALWAYS a conversation starter, whether good or bad.

Please do!

Alright so I received my package yesterday I picked up 2 oils both being Papa Bastard along with the matching beard butter and balm and boy I tell ya how h'what I'm am so glad I spent the coin on this top quality stuff
I tried so far the oil along with the butter and the scent I'm not exaggerating here I got a solid 12 hours of longevity sure ilI didn't leave no scent trail not that I'd care for that but in my own personal space moving around I smelled it all throughout my workday and thereafter.
I will be trying the balm this weekend and I will update with that too. Also my beard was soft and zero itch and discomfort all day
hipster beard GIF

Top Bottom