What's new

The Beard Thread - All Things Beards

@Zig the Pirate these are the wide teeth and rake combs i tend to use

proxy.php

this one above is brilliant for getting right to the back of the beard and combing the whole beard from front to back

proxy.php

this one above is a really wide tooth comb which is brilliant and youll have minimal hair lost of all you hard earned gainzzzz

proxy.php

and this one above i just really enjoy using

@Zig the Pirate i just use plastic combs now, i think the whole anti static combs is just hyped up,
just because you buy wooden or carbon fibre etc doesnt mean its built to perfection

also avoid metal and stainless steel combs, i got a few and they drag a lot and pull out a lot of hair, not smooth at all

you prefer hard or soft bristle brushes?

i like a bit of both but i do like the harder ones better as i like to get a bit rough and its really good for big beards to be able to exfoliate the skin underneath and get rid of the dead skin cells
Hard.

Also, Byrd makes a $5 yellow comb made from the same stiff silicone used to make surfboard fins. It's poured from a mold, so there's no sharp teeth to pull your hair out.
I like it.
412Bgw5jVvL.jpg

Reactions: saj
@Zig the Pirate i just use plastic combs now, i think the whole anti static combs is just hyped up,
just because you buy wooden or carbon fibre etc doesnt mean its built to perfection

also avoid metal and stainless steel combs, i got a few and they drag a lot and pull out a lot of hair, not smooth at all
The anti-static thing is BS, true. I like the wooden ones because most plastic combs have sharp teeth (on the inside) and tear my hair out. Plus, a wooden comb will smell like your beard oil and that's just nice.

Reactions: saj
The anti-static thing is BS, true. I like the wooden ones because most plastic combs have sharp teeth (on the inside) and tear my hair out. Plus, a wooden comb will smell like your beard oil and that's just nice.
yea admittedly i fell for the bs, i mean having a little static for argument sake aint exactly going to kill you lol 😅

only reason why i'd reocmmend a kent comb is because its good quality,
ive heard good things about chicago combs but i cant justify the cost of them

obviously your beard is probably too short for a hair brush but if you ever grow your beard check out denman brushes, those are really good and what i really like about them is that you can take out individual rows too, to personalise however many rows you want to keep in the brush, also is really makes it easy to clean them too

i personally keep all the rows in as i dont get any drag with all the rows in

Available from Amazon. I bought mine at Target.
cool, i've got the kent slim jim which is a nice little handy pocket comb

i got the denman keyuring brush for a bit of fun, but the funny thing is, it actually works on the beard believe it or not, so handy when youre out and about lol

guys how do you feel about having a salt and pepper beard?

i've got a fair few white hairs, i did use henna to give me that black/copper bronze look, i like it and i got loads of henna left,
but think its only been like about two months and the whites come through,
like apart of me feels like leaving it the way it is and just accepting the fact im getting old

you guys ever feel insecure about the white hairs?

I trim it often. But basically had this style for about 2yrs now.

I think it's a #3 or #4 on the trimmer guard.
you plan to grow it longer?

mines above a fist length at the moment and i want it a lot longer tbh

Anyone in for growing a 2022 Yeard?

I technically already have a beard, but I didn't actually know anything about beards until recently. I've spent a week or so watching all the videos, reading reviews, lurking around here yet again after quite a hiatus...

Lots of changes for me, and I've only ever grown one 6 month beard, and a couple winter 'not shaving' beards.

I started my wet shaving journey here 6 years ago, and am a total convert. I love my straight razors, and my mom even got my a SV manchurian brush in silver pewter and cocobolo. So I'm certainly not giving up wet shaving. I've gotten far enough that I can shave my head with a DE. I can do my 'pate' with a straight, but haven't yet had the courage to do the back of my own head with one.

And now it's time for a proper beard.

I ordered a boar brush, comb, an oil, balm, wash and scissors.

I have an Oster Fast Feed that I purchased 15 years ago that I love and recommend!! (Although I'm waiting for an Oster Classic 76 cordless to come out).

My partner is on board with letting me try. Which is good. Although we have an agreement that by the end of March, if she can't stand it, then I'll bring it back down or go to my traditional summer goatee!

I'm out of the military now, so I'm free to grow whatever I want. (Although, the CAF have recently changed their dress regs pretty significantly to allow more freedom of hairstyles etc) Just before I left we were allowed to grow 'the standard' military beard after what was fondly called the BEARDFORGEN. But since the regs have relaxed even more. (There's an operational caveat of course, but garrison dress has changed).

Up until now, I've mostly just been clipping it back with a #2 guard regularly to keep it uniform. No real thoughts on neck line or cheek line etc.

I'm excited.

Top Bottom