What's new

The Beard Thread - All Things Beards

Welcome back.

Thanks! Glad to be back.

nice to see you post mate im sure you can add a lot of value to this thread! :)

how big is your beard exactly? so do you shave your head at all?

what do you use for your beard line? de razor, shavette kamisori etc etc

do you always purchase the products like balms etc or you make them yourself?

ive made it myself and i like it becauwse you can choose how much beewax to put in your balm if you want iot to be a bit firmer and have a better hold of your facial hair

do you use beard butter at all?

When I was a kid I used to shave the sides of my head daily when I had a mohawk, but I haven't shaved any part of my head in years. I never trimmed my beard, but I did the mustache a few times and it looked super weird all neat and trimmed above my beard so I quit trimming haha. At the longest lengths the mustache is around 6" and the beard is 18". And yes, I have to pull the mustache out of my mouth after just about every bite, and the beard gets caught in everything you can think of and a plethora of things you wouldn't imagine. As far as beard products go, I was and still am determined to avoid the AS rabbit hole. I simply do not have the space to hold the product, and Id rather spend the money on film/developing honestly. Im not opposed to trying new products, just with much more restraint than I had when it came to shaving software. I use a beard wash my sister made which worked well but as far as making it myself, I was interested but soon realized that's just another rabbit hole. I haven't used a butter yet, though I kinda feel that might be a better choice considering the length I'm at. It takes a lot of product to cover my beard which is the main reason I tried the Duke Cannon stuff, the size is bigger than most.

have you tried using one of these beard template tools for the shaping of your beard?

i normally freestyle it and do it myself but i thought let meorder one of these beard template tools as its only a couple of quid

i ordered one from china on ebay uk the other day will take a while to get here but they look like this to give you an idea on google images

I have one. But I find it odd to use. I still can't get the bottom beard line with it.

any of you lot use a beard straightener?
Thanks! Glad to be back.

When I was a kid I used to shave the sides of my head daily when I had a mohawk, but I haven't shaved any part of my head in years. I never trimmed my beard, but I did the mustache a few times and it looked super weird all neat and trimmed above my beard so I quit trimming haha. At the longest lengths the mustache is around 6" and the beard is 18". And yes, I have to pull the mustache out of my mouth after just about every bite, and the beard gets caught in everything you can think of and a plethora of things you wouldn't imagine. As far as beard products go, I was and still am determined to avoid the AS rabbit hole. I simply do not have the space to hold the product, and Id rather spend the money on film/developing honestly. Im not opposed to trying new products, just with much more restraint than I had when it came to shaving software. I use a beard wash my sister made which worked well but as far as making it myself, I was interested but soon realized that's just another rabbit hole. I haven't used a butter yet, though I kinda feel that might be a better choice considering the length I'm at. It takes a lot of product to cover my beard which is the main reason I tried the Duke Cannon stuff, the size is bigger than most.
honestly beard butter has been a game changer for me, i made it myself but if you buy some make sure its got shea butter in it and apply at night before sleeping in your night beard routine

I have one. But I find it odd to use. I still can't get the bottom beard line with it.
i got a cheap white eye liner pencil from amazon and will be using that once i got the beard template tool to draw the line then just follow the line, well thats what i saw some youtubers doing and it seems to be easier then just holding the beard template tool in place

While I'd like to grow a beard, I just don't think I can pull it off. I end up looking like a homeless man after about 1.5 weeks.
see the big thing about beards imo is too things number one is patience,
growing a beard takes some serious patience and it tests you especially if youre impatient like me and my hair grows flippin fast lol

then the second thing is the cant do anything with it stage, where its just in between stage where you cant really style it because its too short and not long enough

have you tried using beard oils? for me beard oils is a must and it can help tame the beard too

hey peeps so i thought we should have a thread dedicated to all things about beards

so i want to ask, what products do you use for your beards? beard oils, beard balms, beard butters

which type of combs do you use?

whats your beard routine?
I make my own oil but I also buy oils from other companies. Since I also shave my head I've been buying matching oils for the aftershaves I use. PAA makes some good beard oil and balm that match their shave soaps/aftershaves. Even though I do try other products my go to is usually Honest Amish oil, balm and wax. I've used butters but I find they work better for me for my night routine rather than for the day. Sometimes I'll use an oil and throw some Brylcreem in there.

I use a large tooth comb to distribute the oil. If I have a wave or some kind of impression in the hair I'll use a round brush and maybe a blow dryer on a low setting. I use a boar hair brush to shape and form after I use balm or wax. I've used heated brushes and I've had success with them but I like my beard natural and not straightened to much.

Normally I shampoo my beard once every week and use a coconut co-wash everyday. Then I dry it, apply some oil, comb it through. Apply some balm or a beard wax. Round brush if needed for kinks and dents in the hair. I'll let it dry then hit it with a boar hair brush to shape it. Works for me.

For all you bearded brothers you thought I'd give you a heads up, Lidl UK got these brush hair straighteners for £9.99 including 3 year warranty

I got my mrs one few years ago for £15 and I use it on my beard here and there, years up fairly quickly and works really good on the beard 👍😇

Ohh yea they also had a Phillips one for £15 but forgot to take a picture and not sure if it comes with warranty but if you're going to pop into your local Lidl you could always check them both out 💯🤷😉

IMG_20201224_115437__01.jpg

I make my own oil but I also buy oils from other companies. Since I also shave my head I've been buying matching oils for the aftershaves I use. PAA makes some good beard oil and balm that match their shave soaps/aftershaves. Even though I do try other products my go to is usually Honest Amish oil, balm and wax. I've used butters but I find they work better for me for my night routine rather than for the day. Sometimes I'll use an oil and throw some Brylcreem in there.

I use a large tooth comb to distribute the oil. If I have a wave or some kind of impression in the hair I'll use a round brush and maybe a blow dryer on a low setting. I use a boar hair brush to shape and form after I use balm or wax. I've used heated brushes and I've had success with them but I like my beard natural and not straightened to much.

Normally I shampoo my beard once every week and use a coconut co-wash everyday. Then I dry it, apply some oil, comb it through. Apply some balm or a beard wax. Round brush if needed for kinks and dents in the hair. I'll let it dry then hit it with a boar hair brush to shape it. Works for me.
What do you put in your beard oil, the DIY one?

Got some pumpkin oil, neem oil and mustard oil cheap from the local Asian grocery shop, will post if they're any good

I just got a beard guard (guide? Template??) from Az, and thought of doing the same with either eyeliner or lipstick. Then I saw a comment on the guard’s review suggesting using a trimmer to follow the guard’s edge. I tried this method and it seems to be both easy and accurate. I think I will use the beard guard/trimmer once a week or so to maintain the line, and use a DE razor the rest of the time.

I also took a photograph of how I am lining the guard up (in relation to my earlobe and mouth) so I am consistent.

i got a cheap white eye liner pencil from amazon and will be using that once i got the beard template tool to draw the line then just follow the line, well thats what i saw some youtubers doing and it seems to be easier then just holding the beard template tool in place

Reactions: saj
I just got a beard guard (guide? Template??) from Az, and thought of doing the same with either eyeliner or lipstick. Then I saw a comment on the guard’s review suggesting using a trimmer to follow the guard’s edge. I tried this method and it seems to be both easy and accurate. I think I will use the beard guard/trimmer once a week or so to maintain the line, and use a DE razor the rest of the time.

I also took a photograph of how I am lining the guard up (in relation to my earlobe and mouth) so I am consistent.
do you mean using clippers to follow the line around the beard template thing and then going over with a razor?

yea whatever works fine for you mate :)

you got a pic of the beard template you got?

i got one but its a bit bigger then the normal ones but it came from china through ebay uk and i had to wait a few weeks but im still to try it though but like yourself ive got a white pencil thing to use to draw the line out which will make it easier hopefully :)

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I have had all kinds of beards and moustaches over the decades. Long beards, short beards, balbo, van dyke handle bar mo, drop mo, etc noe I just have a pencil moustache with a small soul patch. Spent all kinds of money on oils, creams brushes and combs. The only style I did not have was the Chaplin mo. I trimmed it once in to a Chaplin but my wife who is German wasn’t keen. :eek2:

Reactions: saj
Top Bottom