What's new

The Beard Thread - All Things Beards

hey peeps so i thought we should have a thread dedicated to all things about beards

so i want to ask, what products do you use for your beards? beard oils, beard balms, beard butters

which type of combs do you use?

whats your beard routine?

which beard oils do you lot use?

i made my own beard oil using the following olive oil, argan oil, coconut oil, almond oil, cactus oil, garlic oil, amla oil, poppy seed oil, castor oil, jamaican black castor oil and black seed oil, the essential oils i used were lavender oil, tea tree oil, cedarwood oil and finally peppermint oil

image_85309.jpg

I use beard shampoo and conditioner, and beard oil. No balms, as they seem to break me out. Wax if I have the handlebar mustache grown out (which I haven't due to masks).

I've been keeping it short lately due to the masks, so 1/4 guard on the trimmer every couple of weeks. Usually I keep it a bit longer and I trim every week or two using the scissors or free-hand with no-guard clippers.

hey peeps so i thought we should have a thread dedicated to all things about beards

so i want to ask, what products do you use for your beards? beard oils, beard balms, beard butters

which type of combs do you use?

whats your beard routine?
I have used beard oils, balms and recently the butters. They're basically a middle ground between a balm and oil.

Beard wash when I shower, then oil after. Butter or balm when I go out and want to keep the beard tamed.

I have boar brush. And a wood comb.

I either let the barber trim it. Or If I have time, I do it myself.

I use beard shampoo and conditioner, and beard oil. No balms, as they seem to break me out. Wax if I have the handlebar mustache grown out (which I haven't due to masks).

I've been keeping it short lately due to the masks, so 1/4 guard on the trimmer every couple of weeks. Usually I keep it a bit longer and I trim every week or two using the scissors or free-hand with no-guard clippers.

I forgot about your comb/brush question. I mainly use a boar brush, though I do have some kent combs I use for travel and when I'm trimming.

Reactions: saj

i got beard shampoo and conditioner and then i was watching some of the vids from the bearded youtubers and i followed some vids and decided to make my very own beard shampoo and conditioner, working a treat so far tbh

in regards to masks, dont trim it you dont need to check out this beard and masks playlist from this youtuber,
he tries many different masks and after watching his vids i decide the best from the vids and ocmments on the vid was the bandana,
cheap, comfortable many colours too, i got a pack of 12 from amazon uk for like £6 odd quid delivered (obviously have to have prime for the free delivery)

I have used beard oils, balms and recently the butters. They're basically a middle ground between a balm and oil.

Beard wash when I shower, then oil after. Butter or balm when I go out and want to keep the beard tamed.

I have boar brush. And a wood comb.

I either let the barber trim it. Or If I have time, I do it myself.

to be honest a oil is a miust, you can go without the balm and butter if you cant get to it but the oil is a must for the skin under the hair and obviously the facial hair too

i also use beard oils, balm and butter, i made them myself affter watching youtube vids about it, very easy to do,
in a nutshell you need the hair oils, essential oils, beeswax and shea butter and youre good to go...

for me the game changer has been the beard butter, i use it at night and it helps keep my beard moist

i have a few combs and brushes, anything thats anti static because using plastic combs creates static

years ago when i used to go to the barbers i used to let them trim or neaten uo my beard or do my beard line
but ever since on babrer trimmer it too much and messed it up i refuse to let any barber no matter how skilled he is touch my beard lol

I forgot about your comb/brush question. I mainly use a boar brush, though I do have some kent combs I use for travel and when I'm trimming.
yea i also have a kent comb and boar bristle brush too,
there some really good youtubers who have some really good tips and tricks about beard maintenance

ironic thing is some peeps without beard think its easy having a beard but imo a beard takes quite a bit of maintenance

to be honest a oil is a miust, you can go without the balm and butter if you cant get to it but the oil is a must for the skin under the hair and obviously the facial hair too

i also use beard oils, balm and butter, i made them myself affter watching youtube vids about it, very easy to do,
in a nutshell you need the hair oils, essential oils, beeswax and shea butter and youre good to go...

for me the game changer has been the beard butter, i use it at night and it helps keep my beard moist

i have a few combs and brushes, anything thats anti static because using plastic combs creates static

years ago when i used to go to the barbers i used to let them trim or neaten uo my beard or do my beard line
but ever since on babrer trimmer it too much and messed it up i refuse to let any barber no matter how skilled he is touch my beard lol
It took me years to find a barber that trims my beard how I like.

I mostly get him to trim the bottom of the beard. The barber has a better vantage point. I like to keep a line similar to this:

20201211_195344.png

So this is my first post in 3 1/2 years... and this is finally the post I feel I can comment on and my opinion might actually be useful. 30 October 2017 was the last day I shaved. I decided to participate in "No Shave November" and when it was over I thought, "you're 31 and the longest you've grown your beard is 6 months. "You're 48% Scots/Irish and you've never had a real beard, just do it." Ill agree that oil is probably the most important and you can get away with only using oil for like the first 6 months. After that you'll need to start using a balm or cream of some kind to help keep the moisture in. I prefer balms because the feel reminds me of the pomade from my greaser days. I quit using products during the remodel of my store the summer of 2019 because the humidity was horrible. Two months from 0400-1600 in shipping containers organizing fixtures in the Texas heat was miserable. Ive only been using beard washes since because I've been too lazy to get back into the routine. I need to though, you can definitely tell a difference when you don't. If youre like me and you've got a crazy long beard I recommend Duke Cannon. The Redwood scented oil and balm is awesome stuff and its Duke Cannon size, so it lasts for a bit. Im not the biggest fan of the beard wash though, its a good wash, but it only comes in a citrus scent that I'm not big on. The Old Spice beard wash is damn fine though. And if anybody remembers me from back in the day, you might remember I love my Old Spice. The Mad Viking Beard Club is my second favorite and Viking Revolution in third, but because of the quality of ingredients, size, local availability, plus donating to veterans is nice, Duke Cannon is my go to.

So this is my first post in 3 1/2 years... and this is finally the post I feel I can comment on and my opinion might actually be useful. 30 October 2017 was the last day I shaved. I decided to participate in "No Shave November" and when it was over I thought, "you're 31 and the longest you've grown your beard is 6 months. "You're 48% Scots/Irish and you've never had a real beard, just do it." Ill agree that oil is probably the most important and you can get away with only using oil for like the first 6 months. After that you'll need to start using a balm or cream of some kind to help keep the moisture in. I prefer balms because the feel reminds me of the pomade from my greaser days. I quit using products during the remodel of my store the summer of 2019 because the humidity was horrible. Two months from 0400-1600 in shipping containers organizing fixtures in the Texas heat was miserable. Ive only been using beard washes since because I've been too lazy to get back into the routine. I need to though, you can definitely tell a difference when you don't. If youre like me and you've got a crazy long beard I recommend Duke Cannon. The Redwood scented oil and balm is awesome stuff and its Duke Cannon size, so it lasts for a bit. Im not the biggest fan of the beard wash though, its a good wash, but it only comes in a citrus scent that I'm not big on. The Old Spice beard wash is damn fine though. And if anybody remembers me from back in the day, you might remember I love my Old Spice. The Mad Viking Beard Club is my second favorite and Viking Revolution in third, but because of the quality of ingredients, size, local availability, plus donating to veterans is nice, Duke Cannon is my go to.
Good to know about the Duke cannon brand. I see them at target and I was looking at their regular hair shampoo and pomade.

Target has so many brands for beard care these days, it's kind of difficult to choose.

Its funny you mention Target, I work at the Four Points location in Austin. Thats part of why its my go to, I just pick it up after I clock out. The remodel was good to us. We expanded the mens beauty section A LOT. We now carry Van Der Hagen, Art Of Shaving, Duke Cannon, and Bevel shaving products. I haven't used them yet but I got the AOS razor I waited for years to be released and a synthetic brush for whenever I do start shaving again. And you're right, we have a fantastic selection of beard products now. And my store is the smallest in my district. I haven't been to larger stores but based on our selection I can bet they impressive. I haven't used the shampoo or pomade but the bar soap is awesome.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have been known to sport a beard from time to time. I have the Beardbrand stuff currently. The beard wash and conditioner. It’s very good stuff but also, overpriced IMO. Which sounds odd to say right?

I also have the beardbrand oil but I don’t use that often. I really don’t like oils in my beard. IMO there isn’t enough of a benefit to have an oily beard.

I use a Kent pocket comb. No brushes. But I imagine a brush would hold the shedded hairs unlike a comb that just let’s them fall.

After every shower I’m picking up beard hair off the drain cover. So that’s fun...

It took me years to find a barber that trims my beard how I like.

I mostly get him to trim the bottom of the beard. The barber has a better vantage point. I like to keep a line similar to this:

View attachment 1193990

have you tried using one of these beard template tools for the shaping of your beard?

i normally freestyle it and do it myself but i thought let meorder one of these beard template tools as its only a couple of quid

i ordered one from china on ebay uk the other day will take a while to get here but they look like this to give you an idea on google images

nice to see you post mate im sure you can add a lot of value to this thread! :)

how big is your beard exactly? so do you shave your head at all?

what do you use for your beard line? de razor, shavette kamisori etc etc

do you always purchase the products like balms etc or you make them yourself?

ive made it myself and i like it becauwse you can choose how much beewax to put in your balm if you want iot to be a bit firmer and have a better hold of your facial hair

do you use beard butter at all?

I have been known to sport a beard from time to time. I have the Beardbrand stuff currently. The beard wash and conditioner. It’s very good stuff but also, overpriced IMO. Which sounds odd to say right?

I also have the beardbrand oil but I don’t use that often. I really don’t like oils in my beard. IMO there isn’t enough of a benefit to have an oily beard.

I use a Kent pocket comb. No brushes. But I imagine a brush would hold the shedded hairs unlike a comb that just let’s them fall.

After every shower I’m picking up beard hair off the drain cover. So that’s fun...

i also got a kent comb, which model do you have? i got the kent 5T

boar brushes are good, i got a cheap one from ebay for like £3 delivered but its got two sides to it, one side is soft and the other is hard, its nice tbh whether its boar bristle brush or synthetic i dont know but i know it feels nice to me...

i also got a kent brush too

i generally use wooden combs are theyre anti static

do you follow any bearded youtubers at all?

a lot of them seem to be raving about the chicago combs,
they come in carbon fibre, stainless steel, titanium etc, theyre anti static

yo0u can even pay extra to get your name or whatever engrave on them

i like the look of them and i want to try them but i cant justify the price tag tbh

i did ask one of the youtuber on his vid about these chicago combs as to how these carbon fibre combs compare to the cheaper carbone fibre combs and he said he doesnt know as he hasnt used any carbon fibre combs before

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
i also got a kent comb, which model do you have? i got the kent 5T

boar brushes are good, i got a cheap one from ebay for like £3 delivered but its got two sides to it, one side is soft and the other is hard, its nice tbh whether its boar bristle brush or synthetic i dont know but i know it feels nice to me...

i also got a kent brush too

i generally use wooden combs are theyre anti static

do you follow any bearded youtubers at all?

a lot of them seem to be raving about the chicago combs,
they come in carbon fibre, stainless steel, titanium etc, theyre anti static

yo0u can even pay extra to get your name or whatever engrave on them

i like the look of them and i want to try them but i cant justify the price tag tbh

i did ask one of the youtuber on his vid about these chicago combs as to how these carbon fibre combs compare to the cheaper carbone fibre combs and he said he doesnt know as he hasnt used any carbon fibre combs before

I have the 10T I think. It’s the small pocket comb. I don’t care about bearded YouTubers.

Top Bottom