What's new

The Beard Is Back

The BBC has just run a programme in their "Long View" series about the return of the beard, and examining why it's back in fashion (male insecurities? A reaction to recession?), and looking at the cycle that saw beards fashionable in the 19th century, only to go out of fashion until their recent return.

It's understandably UK-centric, but will have a wider interest I'm sure. One thing that surprised me was that the programme didn't suggest that the decline of the beard in the early part of the 20th century might have had something to do with the greater availability of shaving products for the home, something that I would have thought was significant.

There was also an analyst who said that razor sales in Europe were currently declining 3% year on year.

Anyway, here's the link for those who may be interested:

03/08/2017, The Long View - BBC Radio 4

I do believe there are more younger men growing beards. And more older men as well. And the beards I am seeing are not just a bit of peach fuzz but rather full lumberjack beards. They look good on some men...but generally I don't like the look of a beard. When I see a man with a beard I feel they look so...so...unshaven.

I do believe there are more younger men growing beards. And more older men as well. And the beards I am seeing are not just a bit of peach fuzz but rather full lumberjack beards. They look good on some men...but generally I don't like the look of a beard. When I see a man with a beard I feel they look so...so...unshaven.
I agree with you. Whereas not so long ago a youngster with a beard would be the exception, now it's the clean-shaved ones who seem to be in the minority. A lot of it is a few days' growth of designer stubble, and in fairness is usually well trimmed and neat. The full hipster look with the beard that could house a wasps' nest is another thing altogether.

Each to his own, though, and good luck to them. Personally, the only time I stopped shaving with what I thought was a bad shaving rash (it turned out to be rosacea), it drove me up the wall. Even if a beard looked good on me, I couldn't stand the feel. Plus I have enough blades to last me into my nineties so I need to use them up!

I've always grown a beard because I wanted to, not because it was in style. I work construction / maintenance (electrician). So it gives me an excuse to really let it go wild in the winter for warmth. In the summer I trim it down to a more reasonable 3-4 inches on the chin and fade the sides into my shaved head. I get the best of both shaved and bearded worlds.

Top Bottom