What's new

the bay, fatboy vs slim

Just an exchange between me and the seller of a H code "Fatboy"

My comment: "Nobody but you calls an H4 Slim a Fatboy. Can't you kind of tell that "Slim" and "Fatboy" don't go together.

The reply:
"Dear Sir or Madam,
Hello and thank you for the extremely kindly-worded email. Unbeknown to anyone buy myself, I have actually had more than just myself tell me that it is a fatboy. Is that not Rather odd? As we have had 50% of people say one, 50% say the other, here we have our auction, stated as we stated it, to allow the bidder to decide. It looks like you have decided that it is a slim. Great!
Good luck and have a lovely day,
Sincerely,
Miranda N. Eberlein.

My comment: "Here's the deal. The Fatboy was made between '58 and '61. Those are date codes D thru G. Only. The Slim started in '62, code H. You have a Slim and it is not my opinion, it is fact. Your "experts" don't know what they are talking about if they tell you different. Don't you see that Fatboy and Slim don't go together, they can't be both. You are either ignorant of the facts or a fraud. You choose. Just thought you should know it is not "opinion"."

Their further reply: "Here is my deal. I am ignorant about razors. Since lots of "experts" are actually idiots, I am not sure exactly what this razor is. Furthermore, I know that "being is being and being is not non being," and so I will not commit fraud by selling it as Fatboy." So, since I am not a fraud, I let people like you bid according to your superior knowledge. And I just state that some say it is a Fatboy and others a Slim. In this case, you sound like you know what you are talking about. Thank you for the clarification.

Sincerely, Jacob, A Eberlein

Of course, the ad did not change. When you know better, it is fraud. Reason to be cautious on the bay. They lie.

Wow, they put some time into that reply.

To be honest though, your first email did come across a little confrontational. I came across an auction whose title was: "LOT OF 3 VINTAGE GILLETTE RAZORS (FAT BOYS)"

I sent them this email:

None of those razors is a fat boy. You have two
flare tip super speeds and a slim adjustable.

They responded:

really ... I researched and did my best to find accurate information, but thank you - you seem to know your stuff. I appreciate your help.

Then they changed the auction and took 'Fatboy' out of it completely.

I really didn't mean to be confrontational but couldn't help myself. I see that stuff so often, and today it got the best of me.

Just a few weeks ago I was bidding on and won a fatboy, yeah!! The mail comes and its a slim, oh well! I did an ebay search for fatboy and almost all the auctions I looked at had them misnamed.

It's useless arguing. He knows exactly what he's doing. Ebay can be useful--I've had numerous great buys, but it truly is a buyer beware jungle. I learned the hard way in the beginning.

Just look at it this way, the people who have turned what used to be a convenient outlet to buy and sell stuff on the side into an attempt at making a living didn't sit down one day and say, "Self, I'm torn. Do I take that faculty position at the University of Chicago? The partnership at the multinational law firm? Or, rather, do I try to scratch out a living hocking old stuff on ebay? Hmmmm, I think the bay is the best career path"

I really didn't mean to be confrontational but couldn't help myself. I see that stuff so often, and today it got the best of me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sends messages to sellers. And to be honest, I edited my email before I sent it. It almost read: "Not a single one of those is a fatboy..."

Just a few weeks ago I was bidding on and won a fatboy, yeah!! The mail comes and its a slim, oh well! I did an ebay search for fatboy and almost all the auctions I looked at had them misnamed.

It does take a while to see the difference in just a picture. Just do a search for adjustable. The cases are the giveaway until you can recognize them uncased.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sends messages to sellers. And to be honest, I edited my email before I sent it. It almost read: "Not a single one of those is a fatboy..."

It does take a while to see the difference in just a picture. Just do a search for adjustable. The cases are the giveaway until you can recognize them uncased.

The thing is, I was looking for a Slim. Have a minty Fatboy and want to try a Slim. They would have had my bid.

when I first started, i bought 2 "Fatboys" on Ebay that turned out to be slims. I love them, and I actually like them better than the real Fatboy I eventually acquired. But that is one of the most common misrepresentations I've seen.

Really is buyer beware over there. But it's fun.

There aren't enough hours in the day to email eBay sellers about "inaccuracies" in their listings. Buyers are responsible for verifying the veracity of the sellers claims. If they don't don't really know what they are buying, they deserve what they get.

If this phenomenon was based on ignorance or inexperience, rather than fraud, then it would reason that there would also be a large number of Fatboys misrepresented as Slims. That doesn't seem to be happening.

If this phenomenon was based on ignorance or inexperience, rather than fraud, then it would reason that there would also be a large number of Fatboys misrepresented as Slims. That doesn't seem to be happening.

They see dopes buying those $100+ uncased Fatboys and figure they can cash in on the name.

Just an exchange between me and the seller of a H code "Fatboy"

My comment: "Nobody but you calls an H4 Slim a Fatboy. Can't you kind of tell that "Slim" and "Fatboy" don't go together.

The reply:
"Dear Sir or Madam,
Hello and thank you for the extremely kindly-worded email. Unbeknown to anyone buy myself, I have actually had more than just myself tell me that it is a fatboy. Is that not Rather odd? As we have had 50% of people say one, 50% say the other, here we have our auction, stated as we stated it, to allow the bidder to decide. It looks like you have decided that it is a slim. Great!
Good luck and have a lovely day,
Sincerely,
Miranda N. Eberlein.

My comment: "Here's the deal. The Fatboy was made between '58 and '61. Those are date codes D thru G. Only. The Slim started in '62, code H. You have a Slim and it is not my opinion, it is fact. Your "experts" don't know what they are talking about if they tell you different. Don't you see that Fatboy and Slim don't go together, they can't be both. You are either ignorant of the facts or a fraud. You choose. Just thought you should know it is not "opinion"."

Their further reply: "Here is my deal. I am ignorant about razors. Since lots of "experts" are actually idiots, I am not sure exactly what this razor is. Furthermore, I know that "being is being and being is not non being," and so I will not commit fraud by selling it as Fatboy." So, since I am not a fraud, I let people like you bid according to your superior knowledge. And I just state that some say it is a Fatboy and others a Slim. In this case, you sound like you know what you are talking about. Thank you for the clarification.

Sincerely, Jacob, A Eberlein

Of course, the ad did not change. When you know better, it is fraud. Reason to be cautious on the bay. They lie.

Wow! Do they also sell homemade shaving soap?

This got to be the second chance offer I received.
Not only is it a slim, but it is also crooked:

Vintage Gillette Fatboy adjustable safety razor H 4
Hello past bidder. It turns out that the winning bidder did not want the item when he received it. He brought our attentions to note that when you put a razor in the shaver, it is slightly crooked. We thought that we would let the other bidders know that it is again available, just in case you know how to fix the spring that is a little off or if you just want it for a collection. Let us know. If you do not want it, I will pass the offer on to the other bidders. Have a lovely day! Sincerely, Miranda N. Eberlein
:mad3:

There aren't enough hours in the day to email eBay sellers about "inaccuracies" in their listings. Buyers are responsible for verifying the veracity of the sellers claims. If they don't don't really know what they are buying, they deserve what they get.

I know it's crazy. But a couple have actually changed their listing. The honest ones who really didn't know.

Funny you mentioned this.

I just read some guy went ballistic in a barber shop and killed a dozen men. The whole time he was mumbling about only wanting to sell an old razor to make a few bucks to help pay for his child's kidney transplant, but all he got was a bunch of hate mail complaining about date codes and handle thickness.

+1

'Fatboy' is the flavor of the month. Therefore, most gillettes that resemble a Fatboy are going to be termed a Fatboy on eBay. If you are looking for honest representations, I recommend the B/S/T.

EDIT:
I've seen threads where people get mad about informing eBay sellers about the inaccuracies in their listings when the 'tables are turned' (i.e. a President being listed as a Fatboy). My policy is to let them be. I don't have enough time to correct all of the wrongs in the world. It is incumbent on the buyer to know what he is bidding on, IMO. Sometimes you eat the bear & sometimes the bear eats you ;o)

Last edited:
Top Bottom