What's new

The Barber Shop - Record your experiences here

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For many years I went to the same barber shop for my haircuts. It is about 1km up the road from where I live. I'm not too fussy about the looks of my hair, I just want it reasonably short and tidy. Initially my barber was charging about 40¢ for a haircut. Over the next 10 years the price moved up to USD 1 now.

Last year a new barber shop opened up across the road from my normal barber. I stayed with my normal barber as I was happy with him. Also the new barber was charging 20¢ more (about USD 1.20 total).

After starting SR shaving last year, I decided early this year that I would like to try a real barber's shave. My regular barber didn't do shaving as he didn't have the equipment (and probably lacked the skill), so I walked across the road to try the new barber.

I was pleasantly surprised with the shop of this new barber. It was well appointed, air-conditioned, had new barber chairs that actually worked and he had a cute female assistant. So, I had the second real barber's shave of my life. After that first visit to the new barber, I have continued to use him, mainly for haircuts only as I enjoy SR shaving myself.

Today I went for another haircut. I normally get a haircut about once every couple of months. To my shock and horror, he has put his prices up. Luckily he still has a cute female assistant. A haircut now cost about USD 1.60 and a full service barber's shave is now about USD 2!

What's the world coming to?

On the way home, I check at my old barber's shop. They have increased their haircut prices from about USD 1 to USD 1.20. Still no shaves available.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I get my hair cut at a Corporation place . A woman cuts my hair.

The usual price for that job is: 14 usd . The last time I was there , I got a 2 dollar discount. So it was 12 usd.

I am a senior, so the price is slightly less.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have cut my own hair for about the last four years but prior to that I used the same barber for twenty years, always paying £5 for a haircut, with a single £5 note. Just before I stopped going there I unusually paid with a £10 note and received £3 in change. I commented that it was nice to see he had finally increased his charges after all these years. He replied - "I put the price up years ago - you just kept giving me a £5 note and walking out before I could say anything". I gave him a generous Christmas tip that year.

I was on $25 for years and then my barber mysteriously disappeared. This guy was great but was charging way too little. An Afghan migrant by the name of Sam. The shop would not admit that he moved on and insisted that he was on holiday and always offered someone else to cut my hair. Everyone that went to this shop always waited for Sam. He was quick, thorough and could do any style. He never said a word and knew everyone’s haircut from memory. It was pure bliss. Silence. Not explaining. No small talk. It was awkward because plenty of people were free to cut hair and everyone was always waiting for Sam. “No thanks I’m waiting for Sam.”

Anyways he never came back. It took ages to find some one of the same standard. I finally found one but he charges $40, is Italien and talks non stop. A fair price I think and a lovely fellow, Morris. He should be retired but likes to get out of the house and away from his wife and daughters. He has a brand new shop fitted out with three chairs that he runs solo. No awkwardness in the waiting room at least while you deflect the offers of the inferior staff.

As they say. You never appreciate what you have until it’s gone. I go about every three weeks. Often enough so that people can’t tell that I’ve just left work to get a haircut. “Just going out for a meeting [with Morris again]”

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
They are open again you know.
Unknown.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Just to put things into perspective, my PHP 80 (about USD 1.60) haircut is equivalent to about 1.5 hours salary at minimum wage.

Legion

Staff member
Nobody wants a minimum wage haircut.

Looks like you are making the most of your 1.5x investment.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Nobody wants a minimum wage haircut.

Looks like you are making the most of your 1.5x investment.
It's not a minimum wage haircut. He does about three haircuts per hour so he is making gross about 4.5 times the minimum wage.

I used to get my hair cut for ¢50 USD and roughly the same for a shave but I was never satisfied with the quality of shaves.

Now with all the precautions, mask, sanitizer haircut alone is close to USD 1.5 and I still don't feel safe, so since this year it is military cut for me and I'm not bothered about it ( I just don't volunteer for selfies anymore).

I was on $25 for years and then my barber mysteriously disappeared. This guy was great but was charging way too little. An Afghan migrant by the name of Sam. The shop would not admit that he moved on and insisted that he was on holiday and always offered someone else to cut my hair. Everyone that went to this shop always waited for Sam. He was quick, thorough and could do any style. He never said a word and knew everyone’s haircut from memory. It was pure bliss. Silence. Not explaining. No small talk. It was awkward because plenty of people were free to cut hair and everyone was always waiting for Sam. “No thanks I’m waiting for Sam.”

Anyways he never came back. It took ages to find some one of the same standard. I finally found one but he charges $40, is Italien and talks non stop. A fair price I think and a lovely fellow, Morris. He should be retired but likes to get out of the house and away from his wife and daughters. He has a brand new shop fitted out with three chairs that he runs solo. No awkwardness in the waiting room at least while you deflect the offers of the inferior staff.

As they say. You never appreciate what you have until it’s gone. I go about every three weeks. Often enough so that people can’t tell that I’ve just left work to get a haircut. “Just going out for a meeting [with Morris again]”
When I find a Barber/Stylistthat I like, I get their cell number while the owner is not looking. Then when they “disappear”, I can always find them.

I guess tradition is why they talk so much. One of the best stylists I ever had was Jordanian, and she didn’t say much. It was nice to get a good haircut in quiet.

Prices around here are about $20 US for a “factory” haircut. For a good haircut at a stylist it’s $25 to $40 US. But the haircut is top notch for that price.

Since COVID, The LOTH has been giving me haircuts. She’s gotten quite good at it and seems to enjoy it. We’ve saved enough on haircuts to pay for the clippers and scissors that she bought at Sally’s.

Top Bottom