What's new

The B&B Members Real-Time Weather Report

We had a 5 1/2 hour power outage last night due to the cold weather. The power grid overloaded with all of the heaters being used. We hadn’t turned ours on and still haven’t.
We woke up to 40° outside this morning.
That's cold when you aren't accustomed to it. You can easily get hypothermia at 40F. Stay safe and warm.
If we had 40F here in February, people would be skiing in shorts and T-shirts. (not kidding) I did it when I was young and stupid. Not young anymore. Still workin' on stupid.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Years ago our oldest was in boarding school (college prepotary academy is what they call it now) in New Hampshire. I don’t remember if it was Christmas or Thanksgiving that she was coming home. We had a cold front blow in and when I went to get her at the local airport I was wearing sweats and a jacket.
She got off the plane wearing short sleeves, shorts, and sandals.
When she stepped outside she threw her arms up and shouted, “Heat! Glorious heat!!”
And she started spinning around, holding her arms out, and staring up at the sky.
That was hilarious to me. I was freezing!!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Brrrr

Screenshot_2019-02-12 London, Ontario 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network.png

Its just getting started here.

Screenshot_2019-02-12 Ohio Doppler Weather Radar Map - AccuWeather com.png

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Yup, @Esox . Everything is clear right now at 7am in Ajax, but I'm expecting to have a stiff back tonight and tomorrow from all the shoveling that I foresee. SWMBO will help me out by smiling and waving her support from behind the front window. :tongue_sm

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yup, @Esox . Everything is clear right now at 7am in Ajax, but I'm expecting to have a stiff back tonight and tomorrow from all the shoveling that I foresee. SWMBO will help me out by smiling and waving her support from behind the front window. :tongue_sm

Give it 2-3 hours. We dont have much snow falling but its windy and getting slippery.

Its going to be a horrible day on the 401 lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
3"s snow with heavy drifting and a 1/4" of ice on top. Wonderful lol.

Its okay Marty, we like hearing about the coming warmth. Soon we'll be complaining that its too hot and humid lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My Cherry tomatoes did really well last year. I was still picking and eating them mid September. I had three plants and they were growing in bunches like grapes. I probably picked 500 or more. My neighbor and I both had our fill of them.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The windows on 2 sides of our house are now fully glazed over with freezing rain. I get to go shovel once my bowl'o'yummy soup for supper settles in. Wheeee!

The windows on 2 sides of our house are now fully glazed over with freezing rain. I get to go shovel once my bowl'o'yummy soup for supper settles in. Wheeee!

Still rainy here, won't even entertain the idea of shovelling the snow until the rain is over so i can avoid having sheets of ice to walk on tomorrow. People across the street shovelled earlier, bare sidewalks are very nicely ice over just like everything else.
dave

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
*whew* I'm pooped. Only about 10cm here (4") except where the wind piled it up. Tough stuff to shovel as the top is a hard crust, fluff crystals underneath, another ice sheet, then wet snow, then ice on the bottom. Not the heaviest snow "lasagna" that I have shoveled, but the frozen layers made it a tough go. Couldn't even push the snow more than 2-3' as it crusted up like an ice jam.

At least it will (hopefully) be a quick 5:30 shovel in the morning and I'll throw down salt then.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
but wait.jpg

-4 and blowing 50k.

Screenshot_2019-02-13 Weather Radar - Exeter, ON - Environment Canada.png

Another inch or so this morning. Not much shoveling for me yesterday. My main sidewalks run east/west so the snow didnt drift much on them, but it sure stuck to the cement. Ice melt is easier.

Marty inspires hope lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Just get it all cleaned up and the lake effect snow starts so I can do it all again tomorrow lol.

Screenshot_2019-02-13 Weather Radar - Exeter, ON - Environment Canada.png

Its falling at about 2"s an hour right now.

My drive and sidewalk are now wet but clear of snow and ice. While shovelling this morning my neighbour came by said his, that he shovelled last night, were an inch of solid ice that salt, sand and shovel were having no effect on this morning. My next door neighbour, who's sidewalk & drive i usually do went out last night and shovelled the street sidewalk, i couldn't make a dent in the thick ice that covers it now.

dave

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Dont use salt on cement. It will attack it and the surface will shale off. Salt is only good to -10C too and wont melt below that.

This stuff on the other hand, is the business.

056899000218_ca.jpg

Hard ice an inch thick you'll hear cracking before you've made it 4 steps at a brisk walk. Its a flake compound, concrete and pet friendly and works at all temps we've encountered doing city contracts.

After the ice has melted it remains in the melt and keeps working. The drawback to that is, if you lay it on too heavy, you'll be shoveling slush next time lol.

The company I subcontracted under would go through 30,000lbs of ice melt and 50,000lbs of sand a season.

Top Bottom