What's new

The B&B Gentleman's Athletic Club

2.5km of uphill thigh bending yesterday - and 6km of mud, gravel, grass, muddy gravel, muddy grass, grassy mud and gravelly mud today - including a brief trip across an 'international' frontier :lol: (in to England)

Another cross-border trip today 4.84km in 18 minutes - cut short by a puncture :mad: it couldn't happen on the way back of course or on the way - it had to happen at the point at which I was as far from home as possible....

Still I pumped it up to 95psi - thankfully the puncture was reasonably "slow" and rode most of the way back, along the shortest return route.

Puncture repaired and ready to try that route again tomorrow.

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 299 lb
Waist: 46 in
Weight loss since last update: 0 lb
Total weight lost: 8 lb
Inches dropped since last update: N/A
Total inches dropped: N/A
Weight goal: 175 lb
Waist goal: 34"

I'm going "car-free" at the end of January, and have been bicycle riding on a (more-or-less) every-other-day schedule since Hannukah. That, and moving to a more whole-grain/high-fiber diet, with an emphasis on "portion control" (a killer)... buying a small crock-pot sure has helped.

so I started my day off with 2 bagels loaded with cream cheese.....They tased good but I kept thinking to myself..."how am I going to lose some weight and tone up if I don't stop eating stuff like this" and it hit me......I need to start posting more here exactly what I eat every day so you guys can ***** at me for eating badly and praise me for eating well......lol...!

so I started my day off with 2 bagels loaded with cream cheese.....They tased good but I kept thinking to myself..."how am I going to lose some weight and tone up if I don't stop eating stuff like this" and it hit me......I need to start posting more here exactly what I eat every day so you guys can ***** at me for eating badly and praise me for eating well......lol...!

Were they at least whole wheat bagels? Low fat cream cheese?:eek:

I created a page on the wiki for us to use:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Athletic_Club

I went through the thread and did my best at recording everyone's starting point, goal, and last check-in. I'm sure I messed some stuff up, so feel free to fix it yourself, if you're comfortable doing that, or post/PM the correction. If you'd rather your info not be there, you or I can remove it.

I'll try to keep it updated, but won't make any promises. Feel free to hop in there! Or if it's a bad idea, we won't use it.

That's actually pretty good! I've always used lowfat cream cheese, can't stand the fatfree stuff, and just recently switched to whole wheat for the bagels too. I like em! One probably would have been a better choice though! :frown:

Last edited:
Perry that's pretty neat.

Weekly update:
Height: 6' 0'
Weight: 218 lb
Waist: 43.5 in
Weight loss since last update: 0 lb
Total weight lost: 0 lb
Inches dropped since last update: 0 in
Total inches dropped: 0 in
Weight goal: 190 lb
Waist goal: 38"

I've been exercising nearly everyday, and I think that I've cut back on my food. Maybe I need to get more serious on the diet aspect. It's hard when my friends like to eat out a lot, but no excuses! I swear next week will show improvement.

Seven days of exercising, doing my best to eat right -- no chips or fries, lots of salads, and I'm rewarded with a pound. I know my diet could still improve.. working on it. Still, far, far better than it was.

Code:
Date       Weight
01/01/09 - 254
01/08/09 - 254
01/15/09 - 253

Today was 40 minutes on the stationary bike, just over 5 miles. I think I'll take Friday off. My knees are hurting me, so maybe the rest day will help them out. Been about 16 days straight with some sort of exercise.

Oh, someone brought in donuts today. They sat across from my cube all morning long! I passed! :a11:

Last edited:

One of the guys that worked with me many years ago was trying to lose weight and always came in with a buttered bagel. One day, he comes in with TWO Bagels with cream cheese.

:confused: We asked him if he was still trying to lose weight.

Sure am, but I was watching TV and they said Cream Cheese has half the calories of butter so that means I can eat TWO! :lol:

Of course it doesn't work that way...

I created a page on the wiki for us to use:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Athletic_Club

I went through the thread and did my best at recording everyone's starting point, goal, and last check-in. I'm sure I messed some stuff up, so feel free to fix it yourself, if you're comfortable doing that, or post/PM the correction. If you'd rather your info not be there, you or I can remove it.

I'll try to keep it updated, but won't make any promises. Feel free to hop in there! Or if it's a bad idea, we won't use it.:

Very cool. Thanks.

Update for the week.

Weight 210.8
Body fat 29.5% I am starting to think that my scale is not very accurate when it checks the body fat.

I highly recommend podrunner intervals for those of you/us that are beginning a running routine. The interval technique will help you towards an increased intensity and caloric burn as well as provide a break in a droll routine. Interval training is great for the newbie and the advanced. It works! I use this podcast on treadmill runs that run me up a "hill" that gains steepness over 30 minutes, then I run down the "hill" at an increased speed with some Jody's recorded by the USMC, then I run on the flat or a small hill and ramp down the intensity to a walk. The process takes about an hour, burns an estimated 700 calories (on average so far), and averages about 4.5 miles so far. It's been great to get access to a good treadmill. I have had a knee injury that kept me from running distances on the road without pain. The treadmill is cushioned and steady so I can run again. Hallelujah!

Now I incorporate running into a tabata routine that includes kettle bell lifts, push ups, sit ups, rope jumping, and other exercises. I believe the tabata routine really has helped me push my anaerobic threshold which for me, combined with the aerobic running workouts has led me to improved performance in the sports I compete in. You don't need to be an athlete to realize the benefits of interval training. It's just a great all around training and exercise routine.

Last edited:
Ran 1 1/2 miles yest, the 4th time out this year. Weight is down a few pounds to 186. I'm more concerned with a lifestyle change at this point then I am in anything else. So far so good. I have a conference coming up in 2 weeks, so if I can get past that, I should be good for a while.

King of Kailua,
Thanks for the link to the article on tabata. I thought it was pretty interesting.

I also like to do intervals with hills on the treadmill.

3 miles in 27 minutes today. Still on a treadmill, I hate treadmills. I prefer to run outside, but there is still too much snow and the wind is biting cold!

King of Kailua,
Thanks for the link to the article on tabata. I thought it was pretty interesting.

I also like to do intervals with hills on the treadmill.
yeah, tabata is awesome...but be prepared for the toughest 4 minutes you've probably known
(I probably shoulda added links to my post :blush:)

anyway, nothing to report this week, been bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad. Bad decision after bad decision...my apologies for letting everyone down
But, my resolve has been tempered, and my focus reset...time, for, ice cream!
just kidding

everyone remember...if you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.
set realistic goals, set specific goals, and steps to achieve them.
you can't just jump in and "I'm gonna do this" or "I'm gonna do that" in a vague and ambiguous manner...have an attack plan!

also, allow me to throw in something for your ponderance...we're not "losing weight", I discovered awhile back to not say you're going to lose weight, say, literally say it, everytime you talk about your plans, that you're going to get rid of, shed, jettison, discard, etc. the weight.
Two things - these words are action words, giving you the added drive to get rid of the extra pounds, versus "lose", which is something usually passive - "I lost my keys" - you didn't actively set out to lose your keys, did you?
and secondly, what happens when you lose your keys? You set about to find them, of course! now, that's a normal habit...so what happens when you "lose" weight? yep...invariably you find it again :blushing:

so, a small encouragement from me to you - change your plan from "losing" weight to "getting rid" of it!

Today's motivational speech brought to you by the letter J, and the number 3,141,159...
Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! ........

they were not whole wheat bagels and no the cream cheese was not fat free or low fat...sadly to say...but today I am making my own tomato sauce....I bought low sodium puree and put olives, capers, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper into it and I am cooking a sirloin roast in it...and with it I am eating whole wheat fettucine....

Just keep in mind the weight loss is generally like a roller coaster. It starts off slow, but as you "motivate" your metabolism so to speak the weight loss will gradually increase, level off, and then slow a little. I lost 4 pounds in 2 months when I started, but I lost 12 pounds in month three. Just hang in there!

Seven days of exercising, doing my best to eat right -- no chips or fries, lots of salads, and I'm rewarded with a pound. I know my diet could still improve.. working on it. Still, far, far better than it was.

Code:
Date       Weight
01/01/09 - 254
01/08/09 - 254
01/15/09 - 253

Today was 40 minutes on the stationary bike, just over 5 miles. I think I'll take Friday off. My knees are hurting me, so maybe the rest day will help them out. Been about 16 days straight with some sort of exercise.

Oh, someone brought in donuts today. They sat across from my cube all morning long! I passed! :a11:

Top Bottom