What's new

The Association of Lather Catchers: TALC

I'd love to see pictures of the razor with the handle you chose for it. I have an Ever-Ready that was given to me because it needs slight repairs and it didn't come with a handle, so I'm looking for inspiration.

I actually just used the handle from my Gem Jr Bar. I may try to get a handle at some point but right now switching handles between my two razors isn’t that bad.

I actually just used the handle from my Gem Jr Bar. I may try to get a handle at some point but right now switching handles between my two razors isn’t that bad.

I will probably use one of the two handles from a Jr. Bar for the first shave when I fix the ER, as long as they fit, but eventually I will turn a wood or acrylic handle for it if I like the shaves it gives.
I am doing a temporary JB weld fix on one of the blade stops so I can shave with it. Eventually I want to get a soldering iron for jewelry and do a more permanent fix.

I now my Jr. Bar handle fits in my ER so hopefully yours will too. I know the more modern Gems don't work. Even my OC Damaskeene handle doesn't fit into my lather catchers.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I now my Jr. Bar handle fits in my ER so hopefully yours will too. I know the more modern Gems don't work. Even my OC Damaskeene handle doesn't fit into my lather catchers.

I'm sure one can still find a die that will cut 8-24 threads, but it would be rare and therefore at a premium price. You'd have better luck with that than trying to find stock threaded to that standard. Or you can use a 6-32 screw down into a handle you've made. It should clear the threading, though you may have to wiggle it a little to shimmy it through the hole.

For wooden handles I use threaded inserts. For metal handles I'll simply thread straight into the handle.

O.H.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Today's shave:
1902 Kampfe Bros (Model 14A) | GEM SS PTFE (4th shave) | Omega Boar Brush 10777 | Modern Williams | Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel. Two passes and spot touch up for a CCS-DFS-BBS.
IMG_2096.jpg

Beautiful razor. I’ve got that, I believe, same model coming soon. It’s not as clean as the one you have though. I’m excited because it will be my first Kampfe razor and am curious how it compares to my others.

Flintstone65

Beautiful razor. I’ve got that, I believe, same model coming soon. It’s not as clean as the one you have though. I’m excited because it will be my first Kampfe razor and am curious how it compares to my others.
Thanks, I like this model and I'm really glad I have it; but mine is a harsher shaver than my GEMs. I'm looking forward to hearing your take on it.

7F93D2AB-8BCC-484F-B92A-5562D1BC864B.jpeg
Razor: Kampfe Lather Catcher
Blade: Gem PTFE
Brush: Rubberset 200-5 with 30mm Maggard 2-Band
Soap: Tabac

Did a quick and dirty shave today. NO PRE-shave, no real prep. Just slapped some water on my face and lathered on up. Really wanted to try out my “new” Kampfe LC. It is entirely different then my other LCs. More blade forward and aggressive. Gonna take some time to get the technique down, but I’m hopeful. My quick two pass left my face fairly clean and smooth.

One thing I noticed is the hinges that open the razor body up seems a tad loose and wiggles a bit. Is this typical or do I need to perform surgery?

Flintstone65

View attachment 1016997 Razor: Kampfe Lather Catcher

Did a quick and dirty shave today. NO PRE-shave, no real prep. Just slapped some water on my face and lathered on up. Really wanted to try out my “new” Kampfe LC. It is entirely different then my other LCs. More blade forward and aggressive. Gonna take some time to get the technique down, but I’m hopeful. My quick two pass left my face fairly clean and smooth.

One thing I noticed is the hinges that open the razor body up seems a tad loose and wiggles a bit. Is this typical or do I need to perform surgery?
Congratulations and well done!!! A couple of comments/thoughts:
1. Your experience with the Kampfe is my experience with the Kampfe. It's definitely a more aggressive razor (especially in blade feel) than anything else I have that's a Lather Catcher. So as you noted, experience and technique will help. This one for me is definitely a razor-blade on a stick kind of razor, and I'm not a straight razor shaver, but in my mind, I think of the Kampfe's as closest to straight shaving as I'll probably come.

2. The hinge. Mine doesn't move easily, and feels sort of "locked" down -- it takes some force to open it up and I mostly leave it closed, even when cleaning. As I recall, you've got some skills as a razor surgeon, so you may want to tackle it; but I guess I'd leave it alone unless you feel it moving when you're shaving, or it flips open when you're rinsing the razor for the next pass and causing issues. I'm not a much of a "handyman" when it comes to almost anything (and especially razors), so my threshold is if it doesn't appear to be affecting the shave, then it becomes a unique "feature" of the razor.

I know there are a few of us with the Kampfe's and I think a couple of us with that model, so hopefully they will weigh in as well.

Flintstone65

View attachment 1016997 Razor: Kampfe Lather Catcher

One more thought that may be crazy, but certainly fits with my "hold my beer" style of fixing stuff: maybe blue loctite. Definitely not red, but some blue on the hinges -- or some other resistance providing substance -- may be enough to just keep it closed/still when in use. Just a thought.

One more thought that may be crazy, but certainly fits with my "hold my beer" style of fixing stuff: maybe blue loctite. Definitely not red, but some blue on the hinges -- or some other resistance providing substance -- may be enough to just keep it closed/still when in use. Just a thought.

Fortunately that won’t be necessary. The hinges part stays locked up tight and requires a bit of force to open up. It just likes to wiggle around a tiny bit. Nothing that should effect the shave but enough to bug me and make me want to fix it.

Just looking at where this blade sits compared to my Gems or Ever Ready I could tell it was a blade forward razor. I bet it was a real treat to use with a well honey wedge blade. Kinda sad mine didn’t come with one, but I’m always on the look out.

Flintstone65

Fortunately that won’t be necessary. The hinges part stays locked up tight and requires a bit of force to open up. It just likes to wiggle around a tiny bit. Nothing that should effect the shave but enough to bug me and make me want to fix it.

Just looking at where this blade sits compared to my Gems or Ever Ready I could tell it was a blade forward razor. I bet it was a real treat to use with a well honey wedge blade. Kinda sad mine didn’t come with one, but I’m always on the look out.
You'll absolutely find a wedge blade. It may require buying another razor to get the wedge. I'll keep an eye out as well and let you know with a PM if I see something you may be interested in.

The folks that have used well honed blades say it is an awesome experience. My first and really only attempt so far was not really awesome....not awful, but not awesome, and I know that has everything to do with how good (or in my case poor) of a job I did on the honing and then the stropping. I put in some time, but nearly the amount I should have. One of these days I'll get back to it.

Well, used my Kampfe again today. Took my time and did my normal routine and had a very nice shave. Did a three pass that left my face nice a smooth with only a tiny bit of irritation around my jaw line.

One thing I discovered with this razor is that it needed a steeper angle (handle closer to my face. Once I adjusted it seemed to cut smooth with little resistance. Amazing what a tiny change can do to a shave.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I know there are a few of us with the Kampfe's and I think a couple of us with that model, so hopefully they will weigh in as well.

Just getting used to mine. I think it's the same. Personally, I thought the ATT SE2 with a Proline was a little closer to a straight than I want to be. But yeah, this thing can remove some hair.

I'll have to pull it out again soon for an SEptember shave, so I have enough time to see if the Gem Jr. Bar I picked up is usable. My Kampfe has good hinges. That handle annoys me, however. Looks like yours has a little cap on the end? Mine's just open, though the extension is present and screws in fairly smoothly.

O.H.

Flintstone65

Just getting used to mine. I think it's the same. Personally, I thought the ATT SE2 with a Proline was a little closer to a straight than I want to be. But yeah, this thing can remove some hair.

I'll have to pull it out again soon for an SEptember shave, so I have enough time to see if the Gem Jr. Bar I picked up is usable. My Kampfe has good hinges. That handle annoys me, however. Looks like yours has a little cap on the end? Mine's just open, though the extension is present and screws in fairly smoothly.

O.H.
I see what you mean about my handle, but it's open on the bottom, and the blade strop (which I have for it also) screws into the bottom. I agree about the handle, it's not my favorite. I prefer wooden handles for my Lather Catchers.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It is going to be a GEMonday for me today, I really enjoy this GEM junior bar lather catcher and it's a easy going shave unless you are hand technique is off that day.

Razor: GEM junior bar L.C -mfg 1907
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (2)
Soap : Colonel Conk Bayrum
Brush: Razorock Noir 400
Pre-shave: Warm wet face cloth for 40 sec X 2 + Aloe Vera Gel
Post shave: Alum block + cold water rinse
Post shave: FINE fresh Vetiver + witch hazel +Balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum block indicates nothing =:001_rolle
gemonday-sept16-jpg.1017511

Here is some information for folks who bought used lather catchers razors with no manuals and other information on Gem grind on blades......
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg GEM blade grind angles.jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif
Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I have a couple of lather catchers and the STAR bar is a great one to shave with. They are a rarity IMO of this model and it is near the end of Lather catcher razor production in North America, STAR(Kampfe bros )- 1875 MFG excellent razors and were the first in North America to MFG safety razors!!

Razor: STAR Bar lather catcher model#4 MFG -1920
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (4)
Soap : Proraso Red Sandal wood
Brush : Yaki Tuxedo knot-new product
Pre-shave : warm wet face cloth to face for 40 seconds X2 + Aloe Vera gel
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave: Proraso Red sandal wood + witch hazel+Nivea
Results:CCS,DFS,BbS + Alum block indicated minimal irritation=:001_smile
septemper-star-bar-1-2-jpg.1018859

Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

I have a couple of lather catchers and the STAR bar is a great one to shave with. They are a rarity IMO of this model and it is near the end of Lather catcher razor production in North America, STAR(Kampfe bros )- 1875 MFG excellent razors and were the first in North America to MFG safety razors!!

Razor: STAR Bar lather catcher model#4 MFG -1920
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (4)
Soap : Proraso Red Sandal wood
Brush : Yaki Tuxedo knot-new product
Pre-shave : warm wet face cloth to face for 40 seconds X2 + Aloe Vera gel
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave: Proraso Red sandal wood + witch hazel+Nivea
Results:CCS,DFS,BbS + Alum block indicated minimal irritation=:001_smile
septemper-star-bar-1-2-jpg.1018859

Have some great shaves!
It is a beauty!!! I took a run at one just recently on everybody's favorite auction site, but I totally underestimated the demand. I was convinced I could get it for $10 less than it went for....I know better than that. If I want something, I usually have to round up, not down when it comes to these lather catchers. Oh well, there's always next time, I haven't given up!!!

Last edited:

Ron R

It is a beauty!!! I took a run at one just recently on everybody's favorite auction site, but I totally underestimated the demand. I as convinced I could get it for $10 less than it went for....I know better than that. If I want something, I usually have to round up, not down when it comes to these lather catchers. Oh well, there's always next time, I haven't given up!!!
I paid a premium for mine more than likely but I wanted a STAR bar and a GEM junior bar and I enjoy both but for what ever reason I do receive a premium shave with the Star bar. My worn out GEM junior bar I can get just as good a shave as my STAR bar but it has been modified to be safe while shaving(the blade stops were worn and grooved to a paper thin stop making the blade advance approx .010 thousands forward) . You can tell a razor was well liked by some one by just the wear to the razor like my worn out GEM Junior bar.(I have two GEM jr bars)
Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom