What's new

The Association of Lather Catchers: TALC

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I was very fortunate to pick this beauty up a little while ago: a Gem Zinn Automatic. Ads put this as coming on to the scene in 1905, but the patent dates go back to 1898. It took a proprietary disposable blade back in the day, but it takes a modern Schick injector-style blade without a problem. The spring is tight (you just press on the head and it opens enough to take the blade. I used a Proline B-20 blade, and since there are no blade stops, it's like hand loading an Enders....you get to choose how far forward or back the blade is to determine the aggression.

Last night was my first shave, and while I probably set the blade a little far forward, it was actually a pretty mild feeling shave. The teeth on this guy are not to be trifled with, they are on the sharp side, but the angle is pretty easy to find because of the shape of the top-cap/head. So you a shallow angle (handle more towards the wall than the floor) works best. The first pass was as efficient as some other razors (although that could have been me just using super-cautious technique), so it took 3-full passes, but I ended up with an irritation-free DFS. I did have a couple of really light (i.e., very temporary) bleeders, but that was definitely technique. I found that with a longer handle, which I love the look of, I would slip into using too steep of an angle, which would be when a bleeder would show up.

This is a great razor, and I do have some of the original blades, but I'm not a vintage blade restorer or user. The case has lost it's exterior leather covering, but it is structurally sound and I'm thinking of a light sanding to get some residual leather/glue off of it and then just giving it a coat of walnut oil.

I'll post up more pics as I continue to use this razor, and use it I will, but here is small collage that I put together. The top shot is me trying to be "arty" but the interior satin is actually a bright red and beautiful.
proxy.php

I was very fortunate to pick this beauty up a little while ago: a Gem Zinn Automatic. Ads put this as coming on to the scene in 1905, but the patent dates go back to 1898. It took a proprietary disposable blade back in the day, but it takes a modern Schick injector-style blade without a problem. The spring is tight (you just press on the head and it opens enough to take the blade. I used a Proline B-20 blade, and since there are no blade stops, it's like hand loading an Enders....you get to choose how far forward or back the blade is to determine the aggression.

Last night was my first shave, and while I probably set the blade a little far forward, it was actually a pretty mild feeling shave. The teeth on this guy are not to be trifled with, they are on the sharp side, but the angle is pretty easy to find because of the shape of the top-cap/head. So you a shallow angle (handle more towards the wall than the floor) works best. The first pass was as efficient as some other razors (although that could have been me just using super-cautious technique), so it took 3-full passes, but I ended up with an irritation-free DFS. I did have a couple of really light (i.e., very temporary) bleeders, but that was definitely technique. I found that with a longer handle, which I love the look of, I would slip into using too steep of an angle, which would be when a bleeder would show up.

This is a great razor, and I do have some of the original blades, but I'm not a vintage blade restorer or user. The case has lost it's exterior leather covering, but it is structurally sound and I'm thinking of a light sanding to get some residual leather/glue off of it and then just giving it a coat of walnut oil.

I'll post up more pics as I continue to use this razor, and use it I will, but here is small collage that I put together. The top shot is me trying to be "arty" but the interior satin is actually a bright red and beautiful.
proxy.php

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

proxy.php
Very nice Fred, I have seen that razor around on the _Bay and was curious on how it shaved & worked physically . Some times you have to improvise to make it work and I'm glade you put it to use. Great photos the way you partitioned them and looking forward to other lather catchers shaves we do. Nice collection you have accumulated.
Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Thanks guys!!! I've been very fortunate, especially lately. I've got a few more Lather Catchers that haven't appeared yet, so please stay tuned.

proxy.php

That is a beautiful razor Fred. Congratulations on a great find.

Didn't get around to posting this yesterday but it was a great shave.
I went with my oldest safety razor the 1900 Kampfe Bros Star with a Gem SS PTFE 4th use. This isn't my smoothest razor but for 119 it's pretty impressive, very efficient and enjoyable to shave with. This was also a rare shave for me as I only used one razor.
Mer Shavings Mysore Sandalwood whipped up wonderfully on a two band badger, then a splash of witch hazel rounded things out for a great shave.

20191005_072908.jpg

Hello! My first GEM lather catcher.
I have been told it could be a mismatch? The handle should be a GEM cutlery. My razor says "gem junior" and nothing else.
IMG_20191009_152525.jpg

Didn't get around to posting this yesterday but it was a great shave.
I went with my oldest safety razor the 1900 Kampfe Bros Star with a Gem SS PTFE 4th use. This isn't my smoothest razor but for 119 it's pretty impressive, very efficient and enjoyable to shave with. This was also a rare shave for me as I only used one razor.
Mer Shavings Mysore Sandalwood whipped up wonderfully on a two band badger, then a splash of witch hazel rounded things out for a great shave.

View attachment 1023433

A beauty!

- Ken
[emoji1690]

Flintstone65

Hello! My first GEM lather catcher.
I have been told it could be a mismatch? The handle should be a GEM cutlery. My razor says "gem junior" and nothing else. View attachment 1024648
I just put my 2-cents on that in your original posting -- here it is: GEM JUNIOR. I didn't see your post here, it would've made more sense for my response to be here....oh well, no biggie. Bottom line is I don't think that it's a mismatch. I have that particular handle on my GEM Junior Bar; and GEM seemed to be pragmatic with their inventory and packaging, so while you may see that head on a different handle and in a different case, it doesn't mean GEM didn't put this particular package together. My posting on your original thread has some pictures and more conjecture; but I end up at the same place -- most likely not a mismatch.

Now one question I do have is whether it's painted wood or ebonite (black plastic). I know Ever-Ready used ebonite for some of their Lather Catchers -- I have one. But when I compare the Ever-Ready ebonite handle to my GEM black wooden handle, they are slightly different (not just in the materials, but with the size and decorative rings). But like I've said many times before, collecting GEMs is not like collecting Gillettes. If you're the type who REALLY needs to know the difference between the RFB Model #77 and RFB Model #88; or the 1938 and 1940 Aristocrats....then you're probably going to find collecting GEMs very frustrating. I love knowing as much as I can about all my razors, but the data gets really fuzzy for the SE razors, especially the deeper and closer you look. Of course it doesn't stop us all from trying and talking about them. :001_smile

Last edited:
I just put my 2-cents on that in your original posting -- here it is: GEM JUNIOR. I didn't see your post here, it would've made more sense for my response to be here....oh well, no biggie. Bottom line is I don't think that it's a mismatch. I have that particular handle on my GEM Junior Bar; and GEM seemed to be pragmatic with their inventory and packaging, so while you may see that head on a different handle and in a different case, it doesn't mean GEM didn't put this particular package together. My posting on your original thread has some pictures and more conjecture; but I end up at the same place -- most likely not a mismatch.

Now one question I do have is whether it's painted wood or ebonite (black plastic). I know Ever-Ready used ebonite for some of their Lather Catchers -- I have one. But when I compare the Ever-Ready ebonite handle to my GEM black wooden handle, they are slightly different (not just in the materials, but with the size and decorative rings). But like I've said many times before, collecting GEMs is not like collecting Gillettes. If you're the type who REALLY needs to know the difference between the RFB Model #77 and RFB Model #88; or the 1938 and 1940 Aristocrats....then you're probably going to find collecting GEMs very frustrating. I love knowing as much as I can about all my razors, but the data gets really fuzzy for the SE razors, especially the deeper and closer you look. Of course it doesn't stop us all from trying and talking about them. :001_smile

Thsnk you for your knowledge and input sir. Its wooden handle. Cant wait to try it out! I have some blades coming my way tomorrow.

Saturday OCtober 12

Continuing my shaves through Europe, today I'm using a surprise combination, for myself anyway. It's a L'Essor lather catcher/hoe razor with a GEM SS SE blade. I can't take credit for this idea and I'm sure it's not really original. I saw someone (I don't remember who) post on one of the forums that he combined a DE blade like this with a very similar LeCoq razor so I decided to try it and am I glad I did. Like most lather catchers, this razor takes wedge blades but all of mine are not shave ready and this razor has an adjustment method that allows for the secure use of a GEM type SE blade.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - Le Pere Lucien Savon du Barbier (France)
Brush - Simpson Duke 3 Manchurian Badger (Isle of Man)
Blade - GEM SS SE (2)
Razor - L'Essor (France)
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Baum.BE A/S balm

Shave rating 5 of 5

I did a 2 pass shave today, first pass was WTG and was DFS. The razor and blade combo was VERY smooth and I felt as if I couldn't put the razor in a position where the blade would cut me. No blade feel and very smooth. Second pass was XTG everywhere but on my neck area and I received a BBS shave. The Le Pere lathered very well and lubricated very well. I had no weepers and the alum was quiet except at my neck area. The Baum.BE was the best choice to satisfy my skin.

Overall, a great shave. I'd prefer using my wedge blades with this and similar razors but this is a good alternative. Have a few more French and English razors that will be the razors for my next few shaves this weekend and next week.

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.
5981B474-4132-40D0-AE19-398D767B7C7E.jpeg
919474AA-5485-4971-B5F6-0A3C2D0FFA18.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday OCtober14th should of used a daily double for the occasion but forgot, today I'm using one of A.S.R family members the Star bar lather catcher razor(No4) gives a very decent shave and easy handling two valued characteristics of any razor.

Razor : Star Bar(Kampfe Brothers)brand-MFG 1920-21 kind of a rarity.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (2)
Soap : Haslinger Schafmilch
Brush: Yaki Tuxedo knot 24mm+
Preshave : Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand soap + Clear Aloe Vera gel Dab on the beard area.
Post shave : Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave: Razorock American barber aftershave with witch hazel + Nivea Sensitive balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + alum indicated some irritation + no weepers = :a17:
MMMonday Oct 14-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

As always, I'm surprised by thread activity....I was hoping with the new forum software that it might do a better job of keeping me in the loop on additions to a thread I'm watching (or in this case started)....oh well, enough griping about computer stuff.

@kjbarth that is a beautiful L'Essor. I imported one a while ago and then neglected to post the shave here, I'll rectify that later. The plating on yours looks fabulous!!! I really like the way the bottom knob turns to lock the back blade clip in against the blade -- it keeps the blade locked into place and really reduces the chance for movement/vibration, which to me really helps the shave. Beautiful razor, thanks for sharing!!!

@Ron R, I always have to comment on how much I like that Star!!!

@larzone -- have you had a chance to shave with your GEM Junior Bar? If so, we'd love to hear how it went.

As always, I'm surprised by thread activity....I was hoping with the new forum software that it might do a better job of keeping me in the loop on additions to a thread I'm watching (or in this case started)....oh well, enough griping about computer stuff.

@kjbarth that is a beautiful L'Essor. I imported one a while ago and then neglected to post the shave here, I'll rectify that later. The plating on yours looks fabulous!!! I really like the way the bottom knob turns to lock the back blade clip in against the blade -- it keeps the blade locked into place and really reduces the chance for movement/vibration, which to me really helps the shave. Beautiful razor, thanks for sharing!!!

@Ron R, I always have to comment on how much I like that Star!!!

@larzone -- have you had a chance to shave with your GEM Junior Bar? If so, we'd love to hear how it went.
Yes I used last night. It was a good shave, milder then I expected really! Difficult under My nose but to My surprise really smoth on My neck! I will use it for sure but still thinks My DE go to razor dont have to be afraid! 😉

I have to admit that I was surprised with how well it shaved. The razor is made for a wedge blade. I didn't think the GEM blade would be held in so well and securely but it was. I don't think any of my other lather catchers can hold a GEM blade so securely. I prefer using the wedge blades but at least for this razor, it's nice to know that in a pinch I can use a GEM blade too.

Top Bottom