What's new

The Association of Lather Catchers: TALC

GEM junior bar is just a great razor in my opinion!

+1 on that. When I have a good lather this razor does an amazing job. I haven't tried a lather catcher without a bar yet, but I will be able to soon, so I will be able to compare it. I'm glad I was able to nab the one I got because I have fallen in love with it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
+1 on that. When I have a good lather this razor does an amazing job. I haven't tried a lather catcher without a bar yet, but I will be able to soon, so I will be able to compare it. I'm glad I was able to nab the one I got because I have fallen in love with it.
The Gem Junior bar is a good razor to use on a brand new GEM Personna SS PTFE blade for a break in because its a little gentler and will give a excellent shave from my experience. I'm glad you are into the lather catchers because they are important part of traditional shaving community and they are not talked much because they are a by gone time and there is so much other razor candy out there to the point, well its just down right distracting to say the least.:lol1:

Ron R

Couldn't agree more, and despite having a half-dozen Lather Catchers that I haven't even tried yet, I'm thinking my next GEMonday shave will be my Gem Jr Bar -- I've missed it! A friend turned another wooden handle for it, so I need to give that a try as well.
See you there @Flintstone65 , Fred maybe you have to stop buying and start using those great razors you have. You have amassed quite a few safety razors, they are tempting to buy when you see deals no doubt.
Have some great shaves!

It's funny because I have been slowly going back in time with my safety razor use. Started with a Gillette Slim (60s), to a Gillette Fatboy (late 50s), to a Flare Tip SS (50s), 40's style SS (early 50s), to a MMOC (mid 30s), Gem '1912' (mid 20s), Gem Junior (1910), and now the Ever Ready (I believe from 1907). The older the razor, the more I enjoy them. Now I just need to start spreading the love between my SE, DE, and Straights.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
See you there @Flintstone65 , Fred maybe you have to stop buying and start using those great razors you have. You have amassed quite a few safety razors, they are tempting to buy when you see deals no doubt.
Have some great shaves!
We are most definitely on the same page, my friend. I realized the other day while I was chatting in French, German and Dutch that maybe I should back away from the international auction sites. I'm picking up today what I hope to be my "last one" for a very long while from the mailbox. I know those words have been uttered before, but I really do have some amazing razors just sitting around, and way too many that I haven't tried. Time for me to back-off from the "hoarding" part of acquisition, and get back to where I started, which was to find, try, and either keep and use, or release back into the world. So I'm also working up the courage/gumption to start letting go of things that are perfectly fine razors, but they're 8th or 9th down on the list of things I even consider when grabbing a razor for a shave.

Thanks for the very gentle (and very appreciated) "common sense" reminder. :)

We are most definitely on the same page, my friend. I realized the other day while I was chatting in French, German and Dutch that maybe I should back away from the international auction sites. I'm picking up today what I hope to be my "last one" for a very long while from the mailbox. I know those words have been uttered before, but I really do have some amazing razors just sitting around, and way too many that I haven't tried. Time for me to back-off from the "hoarding" part of acquisition, and get back to where I started, which was to find, try, and either keep and use, or release back into the world. So I'm also working up the courage/gumption to start letting go of things that are perfectly fine razors, but they're 8th or 9th down on the list of things I even consider when grabbing a razor for a shave.

Thanks for the very gentle (and very appreciated) "common sense" reminder. :)

If you need help testing I'd be willing to sacrifice a few whiskers to evacuate razors for you. For purely research purposes of course.

Flintstone65

If you need help testing I'd be willing to sacrifice a few whiskers to evacuate razors for you. For purely research purposes of course.
A very generous offer indeed....and if we we're neighbors I'd actually take you up on that....but being allergic to postage costs, I guess I'll tough it out on my own. ;)

Flintstone65

DANG STUPID TYPOS....If I could change one thing about this forum, it would be the ability to be able to edit my stuff regardless of how long it has been since I posted to the thread. You can edit about 15 mins or so after you post, and then you're stuck looking at your 5th grade grammatical errors for the rest....of.....your.....life!

The error above "if we we're", should have been "if we were"....not "if we we are". Errrrrgh!!! I clearly don't proof my stuff until well after the "edit" deadline, and then I have to just shake my head. I actually do care about the English language, but you would never know it to read my stuff. I belong to one other shaving forum that actually lets you go back years later and edit your own post. I know that causes other issues for readers, but I really only edit my stuff for grammar and spelling errors, not typically for content.

Okay, this rant is done. The next post will actually be semi-interesting to those who value Lather Catchers.

Flintstone65

For those who have used a Gem Jr. Bar and are venturing into using Ever-Ready Lather Catchers, please take a look at this photo:

ER_vs_GEM.JPG

I "borrowed" it from Waits Compendium. The razor on the left is a 1907'ish Ever-Ready, and the razor on the right is a Gem Jr. Bar (roughly same time period). So I was struck when I shaved with my Ever-Ready's -- I have several - - that they delivered a different shave from my Gem Jr Bar. The Gem delivers a smoother and closer shave for me than the last time I used my Ever-Readys. I thought it may be that the solid bar coming down held the blade tighter to the frame (which may be part of the answer), but I suspect that the Ever-Ready requires an even more shallow angle than I was used to using. Just something to keep in mind as you try out your new ER. I feel like I gave mine short shrift. I took two different models on the road with me and used them as daily shavers, and they just didn't wow me like my Gem....but I think that has a lot more to do with where my head was at the time, and how fast I had to shave....I need to pick my ER's back up and really give them some quality time.

That’s great to know. Thanks for the info. Might not have noticed that on my own. Now to get my hands on some of the wood handle lather catchers lol

Ron R

For those who have used a Gem Jr. Bar and are venturing into using Ever-Ready Lather Catchers, please take a look at this photo:

View attachment 1004423
I "borrowed" it from Waits Compendium. The razor on the left is a 1907'ish Ever-Ready, and the razor on the right is a Gem Jr. Bar (roughly same time period). So I was struck when I shaved with my Ever-Ready's -- I have several - - that they delivered a different shave from my Gem Jr Bar. The Gem delivers a smoother and closer shave for me than the last time I used my Ever-Readys. I thought it may be that the solid bar coming down held the blade tighter to the frame (which may be part of the answer), but I suspect that the Ever-Ready requires an even more shallow angle than I was used to using. Just something to keep in mind as you try out your new ER. I feel like I gave mine short shrift. I took two different models on the road with me and used them as daily shavers, and they just didn't wow me like my Gem....but I think that has a lot more to do with where my head was at the time, and how fast I had to shave....I need to pick my ER's back up and really give them some quality time.
Almost looks like the handle has to be perpendicular to the face, you could cheat and slightly bend it to the Gem angle if you want to cheat to keep it a GEM angle. You will have a new learning curve no doubt!
I just put a bid on a Everready little lather catcher 1914 model a few days ago and I might have to learn to deal with a new approach technique than my GEM's. Great information @Flintstone65 and thanks for sharing and great thread for information on important history of lather catchers.
Have some great shaves!

Ron R

After looking at your pictures of a Everready LC and Gem Junior bar LC I figured I would compare my Kampfe Star bar to the Gem Junior bar and there is also differences. (STAR BAR-left vs GEM Junior BAR - right) I seem to get a better shave with the STAR BAR & it could be the angle of approach, they look similar but there is differences of angle from MFG's.
LC Compare 2 (2).jpg Comparing the Kampfe Star bar lather catcher to the Gem Junior bar lather catcher (3).jpg Star bar LC VS GEM Junior bar (5).jpg
Have some great shaves!

DANG STUPID TYPOS....If I could change one thing about this forum, it would be the ability to be able to edit my stuff regardless of how long it has been since I posted to the thread. You can edit about 15 mins or so after you post, and then you're stuck looking at your 5th grade grammatical errors for the rest....of.....your.....life!

The error above "if we we're", should have been "if we were"....not "if we we are". Errrrrgh!!! I clearly don't proof my stuff until well after the "edit" deadline, and then I have to just shake my head. I actually do care about the English language, but you would never know it to read my stuff. I belong to one other shaving forum that actually lets you go back years later and edit your own post. I know that causes other issues for readers, but I really only edit my stuff for grammar and spelling errors, not typically for content.

Okay, this rant is done. The next post will actually be semi-interesting to those who value Lather Catchers.

Sorry buddy, but I count 32 grammatical errors this last post.

View attachment 1004423

I have an ER but it's missing a blade stop, so I haven't shaved with it yet. I plan on fixing it but need to get a good soldering iron, which I want anyway. But I can say that the Gem Jr. Bar is quite a bit smoother than my Star lather catcher, and I'm certain I was using a good angle on the Star. In fact of all the razors I have, I find the Gem Jr. Bar to be one of the easiest razors to get a great shave with.

Oh and by the way, I didn't find any grammatical errors in that post, I was just pulling your leg.

Flintstone65

I have an ER but it's missing a blade stop, so I haven't shaved with it yet. I plan on fixing it but need to get a good soldering iron, which I want anyway. But I can say that the Gem Jr. Bar is quite a bit smoother than my Star lather catcher, and I'm certain I was using a good angle on the Star. In fact of all the razors I have, I find the Gem Jr. Bar to be one of the easiest razors to get a great shave with.
My Gem Jr. Bar is much smoother than my Star as well. My theory on that difference is that the Star was truly designed for wedge blades, and the Gem was built for...well...Gem blades. I know the spine on the old Gem blades were thicker, but not so much thicker than today's blades that the shave is so different. But any Gem blade (new or old) is definitely going to shave differently than a wedge blade.

I got my Ever Ready today and I have a question/concern. I put a Gem PTFE blade in it and locked it in place and the blade seems to be very loose. I can move it side to side and fairly far back so it isn’t on the blade stops. My question is, is this normal with an ever ready or do I have a damaged razor? The other possibility, is this only designed for wedge blades?

Flintstone65

I got my Ever Ready today and I have a question/concern. I put a Gem PTFE blade in it and locked it in place and the blade seems to be very loose. I can move it side to side and fairly far back so it isn’t on the blade stops. My question is, is this normal with an ever ready or do I have a damaged razor? The other possibility, is this only designed for wedge blades?
Can you post a couple of pics, that may help? And no, the blade shouldn't be moving.

So, looking at it some more I noticed that the locking tab in back is slightly bent out of shape. Not a ton, but looks like it took a tumble sometime in its life. Also noticed the hinge loop on one side is a bit bent out of shape. When I push on the locking tab everything locks up solid so it looks like I’m gonna have to bend the tab back into shape.

Flintstone65

So, looking at it some more I noticed that the locking tab in back is slightly bent out of shape. Not a ton, but looks like it took a tumble sometime in its life. Also noticed the hinge loop on one side is a bit bent out of shape. When I push on the locking tab everything locks up solid so it looks like I’m gonna have to bend the tab back into shape.
Yep, that sounds right. Usually the back clip presses the blade so tightly forward into the blade clips that the blade is immobilized.

That’s what I thought, just wasn’t positive because it was a so much different then my Gem. I’ll hopefully repair it and it will be good to go. Looks like I’m not shaving with it tomorrow. :a48:

Top Bottom