What's new

The Art of Slant!

Well, I finally used my Merkur 39C HD Long Handle Barber Pole Slant.

WOW! And that's an understatement. This razor is a champ on its own right.

I was a little concern, but I guess all that good DE shaving form helped me to maneuver this wonderful blade.

This one will be in the rotation for sure:thumbup1:

Well, I finally used my Merkur 39C HD Long Handle Barber Pole Slant.

WOW! And that's an understatement. This razor is a champ on its own right.

I was a little concern, but I guess all that good DE shaving form helped me to maneuver this wonderful blade.

This one will be in the rotation for sure:thumbup1:
I rarely use any razors other than my slants and Gillette News. I have A Hoffritz, Ikon, ATT S2, But my favorite shaver is 39c/37c. I rotate these two equally without any preference. Sometimes, I like big and sometimes I like small, as to the handles.

I rarely use any razors other than my slants and Gillette News. I have A Hoffritz, Ikon, ATT S2, But my favorite shaver is 39c/37c. I rotate these two equally without any preference. Sometimes, I like big and sometimes I like small, as to the handles.

Cool! I enjoy longer handles better, but I really enjoy shaving with small heavy handles on my Gilletes.

I think there is a noticable difference in the smoothness of the shave between my smooth cap Hoffritz and the scallopped cap of the modern Merkur slants. I wish they made a smooth cap 39c.

Do you notice any difference?

I shaved yesterday with an R41 (2011) and today with the 39c. Besides the blades exposure being much more evident on the R41, the 39c was much smoother in feel and for my face seemed to provide a much closer shave. Odd as that sounds.

I shaved yesterday with an R41 (2011) and today with the 39c. Besides the blades exposure being much more evident on the R41, the 39c was much smoother in feel and for my face seemed to provide a much closer shave. Odd as that sounds.

+1. Donated the 2011 R41 to the Auction.

I think there is a noticable difference in the smoothness of the shave between my smooth cap Hoffritz and the scallopped cap of the modern Merkur slants. I wish they made a smooth cap 39c.

Do you notice any difference?
My Hoffritz is a almost mint, and I paid too much for it. I love it, but I go with the cheaper pot metal Merkurs. I actually bought an extra 39c and 39c in case, as some folks say, they disintegrate. In reality, I think they will last decades.

Gus

I have only shaved with my 37c a few times (purchased it right before getting hooked on vintages) and from what I remember, it was amazing. It was actually the first razor I used that gave me a shave that when I felt my face I thought to myself "wow, this is a smooth shave."

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Used my Merkur 37C today, still feeling smooth. Surely the best slant for the money.

Not odd at all. This is my first time using my Slant, but I noticed a nice smoothness. I really don't know how to describe the feeling, lol...

I've recently made a foray in to slant razors. My first was the venerable 39C and after a few shaves, I came to really enjoy it's "effectiveness" with a minimal increase in aggressiveness. Next up with the highly reviewed iKon Slant (newer one with the Teflon coating) and wow! Not only was it possible to be a daily driver, it was equally efficient, but with a smoothness that is typically not mentioned with slant razors.

So this week, I have an Above the Tie S1 coming in and I'll report back...

39C Sledgehammer is my favorite razor in my collection, it gives me an amazingly smooth effortless shave every time with zero irritation. I recently acquired a Weber PH and its an amazing razor as well but nothing tops my 39C .... I'd be lost without it 😀

I've recently made a foray in to slant razors. My first was the venerable 39C and after a few shaves, I came to really enjoy it's "effectiveness" with a minimal increase in aggressiveness. Next up with the highly reviewed iKon Slant (newer one with the Teflon coating) and wow! Not only was it possible to be a daily driver, it was equally efficient, but with a smoothness that is typically not mentioned with slant razors.

So this week, I have an Above the Tie S1 coming in and I'll report back...

Our journey is similar, minus the IKON. I have a 39C and just took delivery of an S2 Slant with Colossus handle. First use is tonight.
Italian Barber has the Gen 2 IKON Slant with DLC coating and 100mm handle. Would love to acquire one if they ever have closeout pricing....

I got my 37c at Mertz Apothecary int Chicago on vacation a couple years ago. I couldn't wait until I got home so I shaved with it in the hotel room. I made a really bad lather with the hard water that I wasn't used to and my cream did not cooperate. It left me with horrible irritation and I was very disappointed. After I got home and tried again with good lather, I was in love.

Top Bottom