What's new

The Art Of Shaving (TAOS) on thin ice

The possibility of what TAoS might be under different ownership is the best direction that this thread could go in.

It's my belief that -- like many retail chains -- this one is "overstored", at least in some places. There are eight in Manhattan alone!
Once the chain is "right-sized" (forgive the business jargon), then decisions could be made about markets that might need new stores, what the product line should be, service, etc.

P&G should just spin them off or sell them to someone who can turn it around from a financial standpoint. The Gillette "division" has the rest of the world in which to sell cartridges and as I said earlier, they have a tremendous toe hold on the shaving market as it is. As the old adage goes: If it works don't fix it. They might be shooting themselvees in the foot by converting anyone from cartridge/foam shaving to our world.

Ever been in London?

Unfortunately no. I take it in the UK there allot? American boys and young men arnt really taught to take care of there skin. It's viewed as a feminine thing. Plus if your like me and had a sister 9 times out of 10 you can't get in bathroom for 5 min or even at all!

I LOVE wet shaving but I find it a bit odd that someone would try to open a physical store for mens shaving supplies. For most guys shaving is something they don't really think or care about. I think most wet shavers are older and were coaxed into trying it out of sheer frustration over mainstream shaving. Price, gimmicks, razor burn etc. Or if your like me having to bang an overpriced cartridge razor on the edge of the sink every couple of passes to unclog the blades. From what I've seen the anger and frustration needs time to ferment. I just buy my stuff over the net...I've never even thought about going to a shaving shop. That's just me though.

I have always envisioned a brick and mortar store that sold wet shaving supplies would have to have another draw. Like a clothing store that sold shaving supplies, or a salon or barber shop that sold shaving supplies (imagine that), or a frozen yogurt joint that sold shaving supplies. Okay that one might be overboard a bit but you get the idea.

I went into an AoS store in a mall once. The kid behind the counter had a full beard. I wasn't really interested in buying anything, as most of the items seemed pretty expensive, but I couldn't help but note the irony.

I always find it interesting that a shaving store employs someone who doesn't shave. TAOS in Baton Rouge and Aiden Gill in New Orleans when I went to each of these they had women who worked there. I am sure they could tell me how they like to shave their legs but really? I didn't mind too much though...at least they were what most would consider...eye candy.

I have always envisioned a brick and mortar store that sold wet shaving supplies would have to have another draw. Like a clothing store that sold shaving supplies, or a salon or barber shop that sold shaving supplies (imagine that), or a frozen yogurt joint that sold shaving supplies. Okay that one might be overboard a bit but you get the idea.

That's just how Pasteur Pharmacy works.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I first found Art of Shaving in a cigar shop .. a while back. Much as we might wish there were brick and mortar shaving shops in all the burgs (like little ChinaMarts, sans the widebodies in sweats)) so we could sniff and paw the stuff, then run out and buy online to evade the sales tax, likely not going to happen. Sadly, that's the way we are headed, low cost big box joints where the help being literate is iffy, let alone knowledgeable.

AoS will be gone in a year or so, there will be a couple stubborn independents in the bigger cities, maybe.

The world has changed... and it continues to change at an ever-increasing pace.

The traditional English Gentleman's stores thrive in the centre of London with (I'm sure) a healthy on-line business as well. It is difficult to imagine them surviving anywhere else.

Sadly, I read here all too often, that even our members (who should be classed as enthusiasts) refuse to pay a couple of extra dollars for a product to support a brick and mortar store rather than dealing with an on-line business. Art of Shaving is an easy target. From their narrow product range, to the retail staff who may be enthusiastic but not knowledgable to their markups on hardware... they are however present in the marketplace. Living where I do, I have never visited one of their stores but I have had the pleasure of visiting lots of wonderful Gentleman's stores and I will support them whenever I can for the simple reason that I would like them to thrive and to continue to do business.

I shudder to imagine a world in which it is no longer possible to compare shaving products side-by-side without having to purchase them over the internet.

The AOS near me isn't bad. I mean, yeah over priced as all get out but the one time I ventured in there were two employees -- both mid twentys and man and woman. Both very good looking. I talked to the guy -- who was well-shaved -- but it was immediately obvious to both of us that I knew far more about traditional shaving than he did. At least he used the products and could tell me the differences in them, but like someone said upthread -- the chain is about selling "gifts" to people looking to buy their man a nice razor and/or product, not for the everyday wetshaver.

The world has changed... and it continues to change at an ever-increasing pace.

The traditional English Gentleman's stores thrive in the centre of London with (I'm sure) a healthy on-line business as well. It is difficult to imagine them surviving anywhere else.

Sadly, I read here all too often, that even our members (who should be classed as enthusiasts) refuse to pay a couple of extra dollars for a product to support a brick and mortar store rather than dealing with an on-line business. Art of Shaving is an easy target. From their narrow product range, to the retail staff who may be enthusiastic but not knowledgable to their markups on hardware... they are however present in the marketplace. Living where I do, I have never visited one of their stores but I have had the pleasure of visiting lots of wonderful Gentleman's stores and I will support them whenever I can for the simple reason that I would like them to thrive and to continue to do business.

I shudder to imagine a world in which it is no longer possible to compare shaving products side-by-side without having to purchase them over the internet.

I am a guy who will always support the brick and mortar stores over the internet, even if it is a few bucks more. The problem is, in my area, there are really none of these places. There is a salon that sells Truefitt & Hill products (a good selection of them too) but that is all they sell, Truefitt & Hill, no TOBS, Castle Forbes, Captain's Choice, or even Arko. SO I am not going to continuously buu only from that place. I will buyy from there is I need Truefitt & Hill stuff though.

I am a guy who will always support the brick and mortar stores over the internet, even if it is a few bucks more. The problem is, in my area, there are really none of these places. There is a salon that sells Truefitt & Hill products (a good selection of them too) but that is all they sell, Truefitt & Hill, no TOBS, Castle Forbes, Captain's Choice, or even Arko. SO I am not going to continuously buu only from that place. I will buyy from there is I need Truefitt & Hill stuff though.

Being prepared to support the business is good and I would thank you for that. Maybe they would be receptive to a suggestion to stock a slightly wider selection?

I have seen shaving supply shops / classic barbers in many cities, like Berlin, Hamburg, Antwerp, Leiden, or Maastricht. Granted, not with the same grandeur as the English brands, but classic shaving is not dead yet in the "brick and mortar" world.

View attachment 574925
I looked at Procter & Gamble's 2014 Report and the grooming is down (net sales) from 2013 and 2012. Though the net earnings are up. They are obviously trying to bring the net sales numbers up, with the flexball razor. Now the predection of a liquidation manager could be really real. But we will have to wait until September like one of the posters said. It's sad in my opinion.

Just an fyi. The grooming section includes Gillette and AOS. The highest grossing store in the USA does less than $2 million, average store +/- $1 million. To do $8 billion would mean over 8,000 AOS stores? I do not think they have that many stores, I could be wrong so if someone knows please let me know. The store gross was told to me by a regional manager.

Top Bottom