What's new

The art of shaving Kingsman soap

Well I happened to be on Orlando today with my son, and decided to check if there was any shave supply place nearby. I was please to see that there was an Art of Shaving store at the nearby mall, so I headed over. I quickly fell in love with their bourbon and Amber cologne, and they were running a special that got you $20 off a matching shave soap with cologne purchase. The guy at the store showed me how easily it lathered , and how creamy and yogurty their stuff was, so I picked up the kingsman soap.

I got home a bit ago and decided to see how easy it was to lather with a big Bruce synthetic. I wet the brush, shook it out,and put a thumbnail sized amount into the brush. I started to bowl lather in my Jay's clay shave bowl, slowly adding water until I was rewarded with a beautiful, thick lather. It had a nice shine and a familiar smell. I decided, since I had already made some lather up, I might as well see how it went on my face! It was nice and slick, and had a nice shimmer to it. Now the smell...

I knew it smelled familiar, but didn't match the scent of the cologne! As I worked it into my skin, it opened up and I realized it smelled like a salon. Not a barbershop mind you, but more of a salon scent. Like a mixture of expensive soaps and hair products. It's not bad, but not for everyone.

I used my new Razorock Game changer with a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow blade for a three pass shave. My skin was a little irritated from yesterday, but I figured that would be a good test of the cream's protective properties. I would say the soap did an excellent job! It was slick, cushiony, and didn't give me any performance issues. I had zero Nick's, cuts, or scrapes, and the only irritation I had was what was already there. While the shave wasn't bbs, I blame the mild razor and my thick stubble.

This was my first experience with any of The Art of Shaving products, and I'm definitely impressed. While the scent isn't mind-blowing, it doesn't leave much of an after scent, and my lavender aftershave still smells great after using it. Two giant thumbs up for me, and I look forward to trying more of their products!

Honestly I think the performance is going to be difficult to beat. While that smell isn't strong or memorable, I don't think it will interfere with any Aftershave I decide to use.

I have only tried the old tallow formula sandalwood AOS soap and it was fantastic. I think they have great software at AOS.

Glad to hear the newer formula is not too bad. The old AOS Tallow is the only AOS product I have tried and performs well. AOS is usually a bit on the expensive side, but deals can be found from time to time according to the fourms.

I used to use AOS soaps with their old formulas. I enjoyed it but didn't enjoy the price once I realized all the other options out there. The Kingsman line did make me think of going back but I don't want to pay their price. But if you got a deal that's awesome!

I still have four pucks of the old tallow formula soap. It is a superior soap. I have not tried the new formula since I have so many soaps that I have not opened. The creams, however, are some of my favorites.

I used to use AOS soaps with their old formulas. I enjoyed it but didn't enjoy the price once I realized all the other options out there. The Kingsman line did make me think of going back but I don't want to pay their price. But if you got a deal that's awesome!
Yeah it was a rather expensive deal nonetheless. $100 cologne and $20 off a $32 container of soap. Stuff lathers like a champ, so I can't complain. Next thing on my list to try is KAI blades

Yeah it was a rather expensive deal nonetheless. $100 cologne and $20 off a $32 container of soap. Stuff lathers like a champ, so I can't complain. Next thing on my list to try is KAI blades
Oh yes KAI. Check out the Great Blade Exchange on the forums here. I gave up 8 blades and am getting 8. 2 of them will be KAI. It'll be my first KAI

Well I happened to be on Orlando today with my son, and decided to check if there was any shave supply place nearby. I was please to see that there was an Art of Shaving store at the nearby mall, so I headed over. I quickly fell in love with their bourbon and Amber cologne, and they were running a special that got you $20 off a matching shave soap with cologne purchase. The guy at the store showed me how easily it lathered , and how creamy and yogurty their stuff was, so I picked up the kingsman soap.

I got home a bit ago and decided to see how easy it was to lather with a big Bruce synthetic. I wet the brush, shook it out,and put a thumbnail sized amount into the brush. I started to bowl lather in my Jay's clay shave bowl, slowly adding water until I was rewarded with a beautiful, thick lather. It had a nice shine and a familiar smell. I decided, since I had already made some lather up, I might as well see how it went on my face! It was nice and slick, and had a nice shimmer to it. Now the smell...

I knew it smelled familiar, but didn't match the scent of the cologne! As I worked it into my skin, it opened up and I realized it smelled like a salon. Not a barbershop mind you, but more of a salon scent. Like a mixture of expensive soaps and hair products. It's not bad, but not for everyone.

I used my new Razorock Game changer with a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow blade for a three pass shave. My skin was a little irritated from yesterday, but I figured that would be a good test of the cream's protective properties. I would say the soap did an excellent job! It was slick, cushiony, and didn't give me any performance issues. I had zero Nick's, cuts, or scrapes, and the only irritation I had was what was already there. While the shave wasn't bbs, I blame the mild razor and my thick stubble.

This was my first experience with any of The Art of Shaving products, and I'm definitely impressed. While the scent isn't mind-blowing, it doesn't leave much of an after scent, and my lavender aftershave still smells great after using it. Two giant thumbs up for me, and I look forward to trying more of their products!

nice review!

and welcome to B&B!

was this AOS Kingsman soap or cream?

Good stuff!

I’ve only used the new formula creams, a little pricey, not elite, but definitely above average!

Their Sandalwood has been my favorite scent in soaps for a few years.

Good review and welcome to the forum.

Pretty much got the whole Bourbon and Amber Kingsman line with the exception of the Shave oil as I'm not a fan of any shave oil. Got the shave cream, AS balm, Cologne and the bar soap as I really like the scent a lot. Every time I shave with it and wear the cologne and I go to work all the ladies at work say you smell so good! And I'll take the ladies compliments any day of the week. One thing I'll add I think Cremo copied the scent and calls it Bourbon & Oak and I think they have a shave creme, a body wash and a cologne which if you like the scent of the AOS Kingsman line it's a cheaper way to get the scent and it's very close but I've only smelled the body wash when I was at the drugstore. Still like the AOS scent better.
Thank you! I got compliments yesterday on the cologne! One thing I've noticed though, it smells a lot like vanilla after drydown. Not a bad thing, just not really a bourbon scent. How does the balm make your face feel?

Last edited:
I have went through several of the old tallow formula AoS soaps and they were top shelf. I have also used their creams and to be frank, the only brand of cream I find to be as good or better is Castle Forbes. And pricing is in line with other British made creams. It has been a long time since I used creams so I am assuming AoS creams are still made in England.

I've used both soap and cream and old and new formulae for the soap. The price has always been the pain point for me. But I've found the creams on sale lately for around $17.

Top Bottom