What's new

The Art of Fermentation

Anyone into making there own fermented foods..I ordered a fermenter and the book The art of fermentation.I like see some pics..:001_cool:Looking at starting with sauerkraut as it's the cheapest vegetable to mess up..

Last edited:
I'd be interested in seeing your fermenter, I was just going to start with a 1 gallon crock and plate. I spend a bunch of money on Sauerkraut so figured it would be cheaper to make my own.

There is a qraut thread in the forum someplace.. on my phone at the monent.

Several good things here. I started making sauerkraut in 4 and 8 quart NSF containers with lids I drilled for 1/2" grommets. Using smaller dinner plates for weight in the large batches and brine filled zip-loc bags in these. Homemade kraut is way better than canned stuff.

$IMG_0267.jpg

Marianski's book has great info. (I also ferment to make wine and beer. Love the smell of fermentation in my house)

Tom

Last edited:
I used to make homemade beer. That's fermented.

eightysix CJ's kraut picture is amusing. Not picking on you, eightysix, just commenting on the way that things are today with all of us.

My grandmother used to make her kraut in a large +/-5 gallon stone crock. She would add layers of cabbage and salt, put a piece of cheese cloth as a cover then a plate with a large weight on it. No plastic, no airlocks, just the crock.

That was some good stuff for sure.

My grandmother used to make her kraut in a large +/-5 gallon stone crock. She would add layers of cabbage and salt, put a piece of cheese cloth as a cover then a plate with a large weight on it. No plastic, no airlocks, just the crock.

I know what you mean, most of the stuff I read described a similar setup. Unlike beer and wine, as long as the kraut is under the liquid you're good. With these small batches I haven't noticed any venting through the airlock. My wife is making a set of traditional weights in her ceramics class to fit the plastic tubs. :)

Tom

Ace Hardware had some nice ceramic crocks last time I needed some for fermenting stuff. With free store delivery, the 1 gallon crock was ~$8 and the 4 gallon model was ~$15. Add a plate with a zip lock bag full of water for weight and let the magic happen.

I need to make some naturally fermented pickles ... mmmm ....

I got today..Its made China, but what isn't these days.. It says, it's lead free and the company is big food equipment company.If I like it, I might upgrade to 2gal that's made in the USA.:thumbup1:

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've made kimchi before, and I just put it in some plastic containers that carried hot & sour soup from Hunan King to our house. It came out pretty dadgum good.

I got today..Its made China, but what isn't these days.. It says, it's lead free and the company is big food equipment company.If I like it, I might upgrade to 2gal that's made in the USA.:thumbup1:

It looks like a knock-off of the German fermenters and is priced similarly.

I looked up the Ohio crocks at Ace Hardware and their 2 gallon model appears to be very cost competitive.

It looks like a knock-off of the German fermenters and is priced similarly.

I looked up the Ohio crocks at Ace Hardware and their 2 gallon model appears to be very cost competitive.

I don't have an ace around me that I can order to..Aimzon is next place I'll order from, my dad has prime..

Last edited:
Top Bottom