What's new

The Anything Thread

As I was making multiple passes trying to cut through last night's ice/frost... I started thinking about the passes of shaving... so...

Scrape of the Day: Thursday
  • Blade: Hoppy Ice Scraper
  • Frost: Hard frost several layers with an undercoat of ice
  • Temperature: 12 F with 15 mph wind (That is not really that cold - I just feel like complaining)
  • Gloves: heavy duty skiing gloves
  • Front Windshield passes: door to center with right hand, S-N with right hand (right hand now feeling very cold due to weather), door to center with left hand, S-N with left hand (left hand now burning cold). Both hands with diagonal pass, frantic touch up over most important vision areas and hop in the now almost passably cool car - change from heavy gloves to driving gloves and head to work

As I was making multiple passes trying to cut through last night's ice/frost... I started thinking about the passes of shaving... so...

• Temperature: 12 F with 15 mph wind (not really that cold - I just feel like complaining)
  • Front Windshield passes: door to center with right hand, S-N with right hand (right hand now feeling very cold due to weather), door to center with left hand, S-N with left hand (left hand now burning cold). Both hands with diagonal pass, frantic touch up over most important vision areas and hop in the now almost passably cool car - change from heavy gloves to driving gloves and head to work

:lol: Very nice!:biggrin:

stupid dog always laughed at me.

:lol::lol::lol: I probably have some sort of mental anomaly from the hours sitting close to the screen trying to shoot those darn ducks!

• Temperature: 12 F with 15 mph wind (That is not really that cold - I just feel like complaining)

YMMV, but I find the Hoppy a bit too aggressive for midwestern frost. The sub zero (link) seems to to me to have a less severe angle, thus reducing friction against the windshield itself, whilst effectively giving a very close scrape. I also think that the handle design provides better feedback for my hands. I do mark the Sub-Zero down just a bit in the brush department -- I prefer a slightly larger brush, though I must admit that the loft is perfect on this one.

What are you using for Pre scrape prep? I find a little bit of Trumpers Skin food on my windshield the night before makes for a wonderful frost removal scraping session. However even when the window glass feels BBS after all those nice close passes, my visibility is very poor. I'm potentially looking to switch to an alcohol based pre scrape prep.

:lol::lol::lol:

and +1 on the Pre-Scrape Prep...I've found, at least on my neck (of the woods) the actual blade doesn't matter much, as long as the PSP is adequate, sometimes even just the built-in electric scraper will do a DFS with merely a good PSP, and with it's multi-angle arc, there's no limit to how many passes you can make

Totally unrelated to previous thoughts:

[shameless teaser]

I've started working on Uncle Albert's Amazing Musical Select-o-matic Plate Vol. 2

Betcha can't wait to hear what's on it yet.

[/shameless teaser]

I suggest a garage. :wink:

That would be where Mrs. Coyote's car is located. Of course she hasn't joined the ranks and will stick to electric and cartridge for now.

more specifically, the Hoppy model I was using was this one. However, I forgot until now that it could have been inverted and I could have tried the other blade. D'oH! Gee I actually learned something from this!

In regards to the subzero (hammer model included)... I found that the brush being in the center of the handle too awkward to reach across the top of the vehicle and could not reach into places where snow/ice tends to build up. Also, the subzero models have a tendency for the scraper blade to snap off of the rest of the handle if you try to take too aggressive of a pass. This tends to lead to great windshield (and handler) irritation. I currently have a broken subzero in the car for brushing off snow from the doors. For this application, a cheap boar brush is adequate for the job. Silver tip is too floppy and doesn't get the reforming ice out of the crevices - however, it has the least likelihood of hazing the finish. Your brush/scraper/and frost may vary.

For pre-scrape prep, I have found that alcohol based splashes work pretty well. However, depending on the alcohol percentage, some commercial splashes freeze and only add another layer of ice to scrape. I should probably use a balm afterwards because the splash has a tendency to dry things out.

Reading all these scrape-techniques makes me think one thing.

Thank GOD ALMIGHTY I live in Texas.

---------------------------------------------------

New thought:

Anyone else find that Astra blades feel "draggy" after just a shave or two?

Or am I being unreasonable thinking that I can get a week of shaves out of a blade?

-----------------------------------------------------
Newer thought:

Bought a copy of Spaceballs over the holiday break. Put it in the ol' dvd to share with my nephews the wonderful comedy I grew up with...

Where did all that swearing come from? This thing is PG?!?

I'm telling you, you haven't lived until you've seen a room full of grown-ups trying to tactfully explain to a 3rd grader and his pre-school aged brother why Mel Brooks is hiding under the covers in bed with two twin sisters.

Reading all these scrape-techniques makes me think one thing.

Thank GOD ALMIGHTY I live in Texas.

---------------------------------------------------

New thought:

Or am I being unreasonable thinking that I can get a week of shaves out of a blade?

Ya, I know. All we have to do down here to scrape our windshields is to turn on the wipers.

:confused::confused::confused:
ya'll didn't call in to work because of the 20 inches of snow last night?

:confused::confused::confused:
ya'll didn't call in to work because of the 20 inches of snow last night?

Dear Honest Employee;

I would be glad to excuse your absence. However, when I passed the picture on to my superiors in order to explain my absence at the office, they pointed out something that was fishy about that picture...

Sorry, that is not a regulation measuring tape. We do not honor the metric system in this office.

-----------------------------------------------------
Newer thought:

Bought a copy of Spaceballs over the holiday break. Put it in the ol' dvd to share with my nephews the wonderful comedy I grew up with...

Yes on the Astras not lasting quite as long. As for Spaceballs, I still regard it as the greatest comedy of all time. Combing the desert, jamming the radar, Colonel Sanders -- all priceless.

In regards to the subzero (hammer model included)... I found that the brush being in the center of the handle too awkward to reach across the top of the vehicle and could not reach into places where snow/ice tends to build up. Also, the subzero models have a tendency for the scraper blade to snap off of the rest of the handle if you try to take too aggressive of a pass. This tends to lead to great windshield (and handler) irritation. I currently have a broken subzero in the car for brushing off snow from the doors. For this application, a cheap boar brush is adequate for the job. Silver tip is too floppy and doesn't get the reforming ice out of the crevices - however, it has the least likelihood of hazing the finish. Your brush/scraper/and frost may vary.

For pre-scrape prep, I have found that alcohol based splashes work pretty well. However, depending on the alcohol percentage, some commercial splashes freeze and only add another layer of ice to scrape. I should probably use a balm afterwards because the splash has a tendency to dry things out.

:lol::lol::lol: Nice avatar. Took me a minute to figure out what it was. My internal thought process: "What's with the cow's foot and the santa hat, wait, wait, oh, it's an ice scraper. Nice!"

Top Bottom