What's new

The Anything Thread

Eaglets Update:

13NEWS / WVEC.com
Posted on April 26, 2011 at 11:35 AM
Updated today at 1:30 PM

With a crowd of people watching, the father of three eaglets born at Norfolk Botanical Garden returned to the nest at 6:45 p.m. Tuesday, nearly 10 hours after their mother died in a collision with a plane landing at Norfolk International.
He was busy feeding the youngsters again Wednesday morning, bringing a fish to the nest about 6:40 a.m :thumbup:
proxy.php

NORFOLK -- The three eaglets which lost their mother Tuesday in a collision with a plane are out of the nest at Norfolk Botanical Garden and will soon be at their new home at the Wildlife Center of Virginia.
The process to remove the three eaglets began at 10:00 a.m. Wednesday and was concluded within an hour.
They'll be sent to the Waynesboro facility, which is home to Buddy, another Botanical Garden eagle that contracted Avian Pox.
DGIF spokesman Stephen Living told WVEC.com,"Without intervention, it is all but certain that one or more of these eaglets would not survive the next three months. Pulling the birds and sending them to the Wildlife Center gives them their best chance. The birds are already old enough to know that they are eagles and to recognize their siblings. Maintaining them as a family unit and releasing them together when they are ready to go will certainly improve their survival potential.”
While the male may be able to meet the needs of the chicks in the near term, the amount of food they will require as they grow will increase exponentially, likely exceeding the hunting capacity of even the most capable provider, officials said............

View attachment 159863 View attachment 159864edit:The male eagle just came back with a fish to find the nest empty. He just stood there looking around for a loooooooong time. :crying:

WILDLIFE CENTER OF VIRGINIA EAGLET CARE PLAN:
They will be placed in an artificial nest that has been constructed in the Center’s 200-foot eagle flight cage. Other adult Bald Eagle patients may also be in this enclosure. While the chicks will be separated by a physical barrier from direct contact with other eagles, the eaglets will be able to see other eagles flying and feeding. As they begin to fledge, the barrier will be removed and the young eagles will have full access to the long enclosure, to build their wing strength and to learn to fly. The goal would be to get the young eagles ready for release back into the wild in late summer.

That's cool that they are saving the chicks. I wonder how long the male eagle will wonder what happened before he "moves on"?

That's cool that they are saving the chicks. I wonder how long the male eagle will wonder what happened before he "moves on"?

Crapola... when I first read this, I thought I saw 'shaving the chicks'. :blink: :huh: :blink:

I am so tired. Just finished a research paper I've been working on for two months. It is time to go home. :thumbup1:

Yeah, I hear that wood alcohol is some pretty nasty stuff. Causes blindness in small quantities, like a table spoon and death in larger quantities. But who would be serving her wood alcohol? Hmmm... is there a beer tap or wine spigot attached to the side of that wardrobe?

True. :lol:

However, I meant alcohol in the common parlance rather than the chemical vernacular.

She can keep the pitas tho. They're a bit greenish already. :sad:

Agreed. No moldy pitas.

On 9/11, I had to drive with 3 co-workers from Chicago to Houston since the airports were shut down. We stopped for a late dinner at a small bar along the way, as it was the only place still open, and the bartender told us in a conversation that she had stopped drinking because she "got tired of waking up every morning with a hangover". None of us said anything, but wondered later why someone has to drink enough every night to have a hangover the next morning. :huh:

Of course, I'm not saying that about you, Crafty.
:001_rolle

Oh, nice recovery Randy. :tongue_sm:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, I think bald eagles mate for life. It's entirely possible he'll rear them until they're ready to be on their own.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
True. :lol:

However, I meant alcohol in the common parlance rather than the chemical vernacular.

Agreed. No moldy pitas.

Oh, nice recovery Randy. :tongue_sm:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, I think bald eagles mate for life. It's entirely possible he'll rear them until they're ready to be on their own.

You need to look at the spoiler for the rest of the story. :whistling:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Um, I did. It looks like a repeat of something you posted previously. I was suggesting that he'll probably just rear them on his own now that is mate is dead. Or am I missing something here? :huh:

Yes, your missing something. :sneaky2: But I'll recap. This morning at just after 10:00 all three eaglets were removed from the nest and taken to the Wildlife Center of Virginia where they will be kept until being released back to the wild late this summer or early fall. It was decided that a single parent would not be able to keep up with the feeding demands of three eaglets that would soon triple in size.

The pictures inside the spoiler are screen shots I took of the live webcam feed both of the empty nest after the eaglets were removed and the father eagles return to the nest (at about 2:15 pm) with a fish only to find them gone. The father eagle stood there taking it in for about 25 minutes before he flew off leaving the fish laying in the nest. Tonight at about 6:00 pm the father returned, looked around for a few minutes and took the fish with him when he left.

Yes, your missing something. :sneaky2: But I'll recap. This morning at just after 10:00 all three eaglets were removed from the nest and taken to the Wildlife Center of Virginia where they will be kept until being released back to the wild late this summer or early fall. It was decided that a single parent would not be able to keep up with the feeding demands of three eaglets that would soon triple in size.

The pictures inside the spoiler are screen shots I took of the live webcam feed both of the empty nest after the eaglets were removed and the father eagles return to the nest (at about 2:15 pm) with a fish only to find them gone. The father eagle stood there taking it in for about 25 minutes before he flew off leaving the fish laying in the nest. Tonight at about 6:00 pm the father returned, looked around for a few minutes and took the fish with him when he left.

Oh. Nevermind then. :blush:

Top Bottom