What's new

The ammo struggle is real.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Not so much if you view reloading as a hobby. Same thing for time spent, if you view it as a pleasure. The cost of clubs and time spent on the golf course are just part of the sport. 🤗

Just like buying $400 unobtanium razors, eh? :)

I wish I had the inclination to reload. I just dont. I also have close family that reload. I just dont have the desire to do it. I just want to go out to the range and shoot.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Not so much if you view reloading as a hobby. Same thing for time spent, if you view it as a pleasure. The cost of clubs and time spent on the golf course are just part of the sport. 🤗
I understand. But your analogy is one level off.

I am a shooter, and a golfer, too. I use my clubs and my balls as I use my firearms and ammo. These physical elements — and the time spent with them on a course or at a range or club — are the sources of my pleasure.

Occasionally, I need to re-grip my clubs. But I don’t extract pleasure from re-gripping golf clubs, and have no interest in purchasing a re-gripping station. So I have the club shop do them for a $1 fee ... and quickly go back to enjoying my game.

Speaking of reselling "ammo" and now golf, I live on the 16th hole of a popular golf course and have about 1k balls and counting, anyone want to buy some? Lol

I understand. But your analogy is one level off.

I am a shooter, and a golfer, too. I use my clubs and my balls as I use my firearms and ammo. These physical elements — and the time spent with them on a course or at a range or club — are the sources of my pleasure.

Occasionally, I need to re-grip my clubs. But I don’t extract pleasure from re-gripping golf clubs, and have no interest in purchasing a re-gripping station. So I have the club shop do them for a $1 fee ... and quickly go back to enjoying my game.
But I do enjoy reloading. I understand if you don't. I used to see it as just a means to an end and totally a chore. After sitting at a desk all day long, working with my hands became a pleasure, therapy even. We are all at different places in life so there is no argument here.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The shortage is due to hoarders like toilet paper not the manufactures or politics.

"Whoops....how did I get below 50 thousand 5.56? I better order another 10k."

The shortage is due to hoarders like toilet paper not the manufactures or politics.

"Whoops....how did I get below 50 thousand 5.56? I better order another 10k."

First of all, 10K rounds isn’t anything for a serious shooter. You need to keep a years supply in order to be safe from these politically induced shortages. The 2013 shortage lasted 9 months and up to 12 for .22LR.

Competition shooters will shoot 500 rounds per week. So that’s 26K per year. A 10K stash might get them through 5 months and the current shortage is just under 5 months.

I don’t shoot enough at about 4K rounds per year. I’m a little low now.

Secondly there have been close to 4,000,000 NICS checks monthly since March. That’s a lot of sales. A great many of these are first time firearms buyers. They’re buying ammunition for the first time and aren’t hoarding.

A friend who is a salesman at a major store here, has sold some of his personal ammunition to first time firearms buyers. It’s that crazy out there.

Some folks try to link large quantity owners to being particularly threatening. I wonder when it was they last tried to carry 10K rounds around with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, 10K rounds isn’t anything for a serious shooter. You need to keep a years supply in order to be safe from these politically induced shortages. The 2013 shortage lasted 9 months and up to 12 for .22LR.

Competition shooters will shoot 500 rounds per week. So that’s 26K per year. A 10K stash might get them through 5 months and the current shortage is just under 5 months.

I don’t shoot enough at about 4K rounds per year. I’m a little low now.

Secondly there have been close to 4,000,000 NICS checks monthly since March. That’s a lot of sales. A great many of these are first time firearms buyers. They’re buying ammunition for the first time and aren’t hoarding.

A friend who is a salesman at a major store here, has sold some of his personal ammunition to first time firearms buyers. It’s that crazy out there.

Some folks try to link large quantity owners to being particularly threatening. I wonder when it was they last tried to carry 10K rounds around with them.

I agree with you last point about high volume/inventory folks. The concern over folks with thousands of rounds of ammo is not well thought out. It doesn’t take long before you are beyond you me physics abilities to carry a significant quantity. Just with reloading components, I personally dread selling my house in the next year or two and having to lug all the lead and other stuff out.

I agree with you last point about high volume/inventory folks. The concern over folks with thousands of rounds of ammo is not well thought out. It doesn’t take long before you are beyond you me physics abilities to carry a significant quantity. Just with reloading components, I personally dread selling my house in the next year or two and having to lug all the lead and other stuff out.

No, they’re commenting about that with which they’re not familiar.

This week I have talked to at least 3 people on the search for primers, powder, or bullets. Each kinda hinted about buying from my stash. I don't want to sell anything and knew there would be hard feelings if I did, because I would price the stuff at today's replacement cost instead of what I actually paid for it.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I've never sold any ammo but I have recently given some away. So far it has been 22LR, .357, 7.62x39, 9mm Parabellum, 380, 45acp, 30-30 and some 38 special. It was all to fairly new shooters that bought a gun but couldn't find ammo. All I ever ask is that at some time in the future when they can, pass the favor on.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Other culprits of ammo shortage that most might not be aware of, is mom & pop stores who are both pawn & gun stores. Many of these B&M's also have their own websites. I have seen 10 passenger vans, pull up outside of Walmarts at 6am and a bunch of old guys jump out of the van and wait for their shipping trucks to come in. Have seen the same thing at Academy Sports.

They will buy the ammo right up off the stores shipping pallets and then turn around and sell it at their own shops or on their own websites, for 4 and 5 times the cost knowing, there are people out there with money who will buy it.

Most "regular, working people," like me, and @ScottChapin, who have a healthy store of ammo, we have it, because we have dinked and dunked over the years in order to have it. A box here, three boxes there. And the occasional case of bulk ammo when we find it on sale at our local military supply.

For example, I'm sure, if guesstimating, I have 50,000 rounds or more of .22 LR. However, If there is anything I don't shoot alot is .22 and i have been buying it here and there and storing it for 20 years or more. I'm pretty sure I can dig out some bulk Federal boxes with early 2000's written on them with a sharpie.

I have .556 and .223 with the same dates written on them. When it comes to defensive handgun, I bet I don't have a case apiece of 9mm and .40 HP. I don't shoot alot of HP. But I do have a few cases of each in FMJ, because I do shoot alot of FMJ. I have not fired a single round from a handgun, since this covid thing started back in February.

This is probably, the longest I have gone not firing a gun, since I have owned guns. I have a brand new Sig P320 Full for 6 months now, I have yet to shoot it. I have never in my life, held onto to a brand new gun for 6 months with out shooting it.

Man, I just depressed myself.

I'd rather have a place to shoot the ammunition I have in limited supply. Fortunately the sporting clays range remains open and Walmart seems to keep a good inventory of target load shotgun shells on hand.
Pistol?? Rifle?? What are they??

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Can tell you some online places have no .38 Special- shocking!

I make my own, but still.

Was actually looking at another K of x18 Mak, but I don't need that either. :devil:

AA

Top Bottom