What's new

The ammo struggle is real.

No doubt 9mm is or was better to buy economically. That was about where it ended, though. In handguns, I shoot a lot of .357, .45 ACP, and .44 Mag. I save a lot of money per box. Time wise, I can easily do 200-300 per hour.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Well, I just got that 50ct box of 9mm Speer Lawman today. Ammo.com ships fast!

But did I technically buy range ammo? Because I have every intention of using it for self defense and I know some people are adamantly against using range ammo for self defense.
Ammo is ammo. In general folk choose cheaper ammo to practice with but many of us simply like cheaper ammo.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Ammo is tough and reloading components are getting worse. Since when are primers the new unicorn? And kiss most Hodgdon powers goodbye for a while. Problem 1) Most of Hodgdons stuff is made by ADI (Australian Defense Industries) and they had a huge fire on one of their drying lines and a bunch powder and a large portion of a production facility went POOF! 2) The US military is rolling out new platforms like the LWMMG that is chambered in .338NM so bye bye magnum powders, the 6.8 SPC, and I've read they are eyeballing the likes of the 6mm ARC so Varget, H-1000, and Retumbo are probably ghosts for a while to come. It's why I bought 32 pounds of Ramshot LRT and a case of 215M match primers. At 2400 rounds (more if I back off a tad) I know I can shoot the barrel out of my .338LM before I run out of the hard to get parts. Bullets seem safe for the time being but I won't be resting on my laurels. I need to lock a couple thousand soon! Another thing I find odd, and this might be tinfoil hat stuff right here, but when did powder change from flammable solids to 1.4C explosives? That might create some issues with acquisition as well...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ugh, I don't feel like reloading; too hot in the garage.

Yet .38 Special brass is piling up ....just going to have to start shooting .45 Colt again until cooler weather.

"Shooting a .45 means never having to say you're sorry." :lol:

AA

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have been finding acceptable deals on 9mm online. Bought a couple of 500 boxes of Remington 9mm for the range. Cheap stuff, but its brass and goes bang when I pull the trigger. It's tough, but you can find deals that pop up.

I can appreciate loading your own, but I dont have time or patience for that.

I have been finding acceptable deals on 9mm online. Bought a couple of 500 boxes of Remington 9mm for the range. Cheap stuff, but its brass and goes bang when I pull the trigger. It's tough, but you can find deals that pop up.

I can appreciate loading your own, but I dont have time or patience for that.

If your reloading to save time and money, you’re doing it for the wrong reason. I’ll have a lot of fun, shoot more and work up loads. I can see myself buying a chronometer. Help me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Here’s a wild idea for this group.

The Brown Leaf people have their group pipe buys.

How about a group ammo buy from one of the more prolific reloaders here?

State and local restrictions would have to be followed where applicable.

But if in enough quantity, perhaps it might provide the have-nots with enough supply in a couple popular calibers, and generate a little profit for an efficient reloader.

Just a quick thought between cups of morning coffee.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
According to the ATF if you sell or distribute ammo for the purpose of livelihood or profit, you need a license.

Beyond that, I wouldn't want the liability associated with others shooting my reloads.
^ This. Just learn to reload, it's easy.

If your reloading to save time and money, you’re doing it for the wrong reason. I’ll have a lot of fun, shoot more and work up loads. I can see myself buying a chronometer. Help me!

I assume you mean a chronograph, and yes you need one, you don't need help!

I still don't have one, too much trouble setting up the screens at the public range where I shoot. I have considered a Labradar, but they are kind of spendy. One day, perhaps!

I loaded my first 15 or 20 years without a chronograph

My dilemma is that my ported M&P chokes on Blazer 115 gr at 1140fps. It doesn’t on S&B 115gr at 1280fps.

Hornady states maximum load of Power Pistol at 6.7gr is 1250fps. Other powders max out at 1150fps to 1200fps.

I fear that none of those loads will run my gun. So I might have to be sure I’m somewhere between 1200fps and 1250fps without being stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
It’s no wonder some guys are short on ammo. It’s not all that hard to find a reloader vendor. I see 4 or 5 mom and pops selling at every gun show.

If they are cheaper than a box of Federal, I always come home with a few hundred rounds. It always fires as well as the factory rounds.

And there are small reload shops that sell nationally as well. Just one example: Extreme Reloading | The Reloading Guys - https://www.extremereloadingnv.com/

If someone put together a combined order of 20,000+ rounds, many shops would make room for you. Be creative.

I’m not discouraging home reloading for personal use and pleasure. As I mentioned upthread, people close to me were very serious about it. But in your zeal, don’t forget to tell the newbies what equipment they have to buy upfront. All that upfront expense needs to be amortized into the per round cost.

Top Bottom