What's new

The Ammo Shortage

Bass Pro continues to have the best worst selection of ammo around me. Got some 9mm & .22 there last week. Happened to be in the ammo aisle when they put out 40 boxes of 9mm and it was all gone by the time I left the store. Also found a box of 333 .22 that someone hid in another row. I say hid because it was behind stuff.

Was at a local sporting goods store yesterday in eastern TN. Walked out with 250 rounds of 12 gauge 8 shot. Could have bought an additional 2,000 if I had wanted to. Goodly supply of 9mm, .380, .45
on the shelves as well. No .38. No 20 gauge.
All kinds of .223/5.56 to be had also.
Spendy? Yes…but there is a huge difference between “shortage” and “unnecessary price increases” (aka gouging).
Remember when gas was .25-.30 a gallon in the ‘70’s?? Arab oil embargo if I recall…..
Plenty of gas now; $3.00 a gallon. Go figure…..

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Was at a local sporting goods store yesterday in eastern TN. Walked out with 250 rounds of 12 gauge 8 shot. Could have bought an additional 2,000 if I had wanted to. Goodly supply of 9mm, .380, .45
on the shelves as well. No .38. No 20 gauge.
All kinds of .223/5.56 to be had also.
Spendy? Yes…but there is a huge difference between “shortage” and “unnecessary price increases” (aka gouging).
Remember when gas was .25-.30 a gallon in the ‘70’s?? Arab oil embargo if I recall…..
Plenty of gas now; $3.00 a gallon. Go figure…..
Yup. Remember it well. And also remember making about $4800 a year as an optician. Go figure...

GT Distributors (A National LEO Oriented Chain)-Rules are 100 rds of practice ammo per caliber, 100 rds duty ammo per caliber, per month max. Sometimes, no ammo unless you buy a gun in that caliber.

Today:
Speer Lawman 9mm 17.99@50, limit 2 (100ct) for the month-BOUGHT Them.

I could have purchased two boxes of 124+p Gold Dot at 36.99@50 but declined

Plenty of 62g 5.56 ATAC PMC 14.99@ 20

I suspect I will make a run to Academy and Scheels tonight close to closing in hopes I can catch some restock already on the shelves for the reported daily sharks who line up and open these places.

Last edited:
Academy at closing time had 115 Aluminum cased 9 mm Blazer at 19.99@ 50. Limit 4. I took a pass on that. I probably would have even if I had not bough two boxes earlier in the day as Blazer is not reloadable.

There have been two shows in my AO in the past month the most recent was yesterday. I did not attend either show and I absolutely will not attend any at the state fairgrounds as it costs $15 to get in the door (includes parking fee).

AAR's from people I know who went are that attendance is down and way down this past weekend and that there are a lot of empty tables more so than usual.

Prices on firearms and ammo as you would expect are still sky-high.

I got a report that primers are starting to re-appear at these shows the least expensive box of 1K SPP was $80. Still high but at least not $150+.

I got a report that primers are starting to re-appear at these shows the least expensive box of 1K SPP was $80. Still high but at least not $150+.

Was in Bass Pro last night. Actually had a reasonable selection of ammo: .22, .380, 9mm, .45ACP, .223, .308, 20 & 12 gauge. Picked up a 222 box of .22LR HP Winchester just because. With tax gouge it was $18 or $0.08 pr. ($4.00/50). That is a bit more than I was paying prior to the 2009 on shortages but not that much more. I started judging the shortages in the past by the availability of .22LR.

As far as primers though, BP had (8) cases of SPP in a few weeks ago at $104 per case (1000). All gone that day. $80 is beyond what I'd pay but that number definitely getting closer to threshold. Am cautiously optimistic we are getting over the hump.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I think the slowest thing to recover will be powder availability. I'm good for the short term for most of what I reload, but developing loads for newly acquired calibers like the 6.5 Grendel and Creedmoor is severely hampered. I have some powders on hand that I can load both with, just not the optimum choices.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hey, things must be getting better!

🤣Today Walmart had SIX boxes of 350 Legend!

🤔 The one guy in town (and then, maybe) must finally have enough!

AA

Rural King at two locations today had 357 mag ,22 ,7.62 in several variations, some other random stuff and alot of green tip 5.56 800 round box for like 6 or 650. I paid 400 maybe a little less last time I bought that quantity iirc.

Bought 400 rounds of 12 gauge and 500 rounds of 20 gauge today. All for between $9.00-$10.00 a box.
Shortage??? I really don’t think so.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
LGS got CCI in at good prices. Quiet-22 for $5.99/50 (same price as on CCIs website) and Subsonic 22LR (hollow points) for $13.99/100 which is a buck a box more that CCI but seeing as CCI charges sales tax AND $12.00 shipping my LGS is cheaper. They give me enough of a discount to cover sales tax so I'm pretty happy. Picked-up 3 boxes of each as I don't want to be THAT guy :lol: The MagTech 9mm is flowing like water but still to pricey for my tastes...

Top Bottom